Wednesday, March 08, 2006

wednesday morning quarterbacking...

I have to confess: I'm getting a kick out of the reaction to Simon's comment about preferring Kellie Pickler to "last year's winner." Seems civil war has been declared on blogs and message boards everywhere. There are bodies in the streets. Unrest reigns.

I rewatched that snippet, and I still do not read his remarks as an indictment of Carrie's vocal ability or an endorsement of Kellie's. Simon seems so enamoured by Kellie's non-singing antics, that I still contend he was alluding to her personality, rather than overall talent.

I still think it was a bit disrespectful, however, to refer to "last year's winner" by that throwaway phrase, especially after the verbal browbeating about disrespect he gave "the first winner" at the start of the season.

But I still can't help but laugh at the nuclear fallout his comments have wrought.

Watch. Tonight there will be damage control. I can just hear it now. Simon to Chris: Chris I much prefer your baldness to last year's long-haired freaky people. Yep. That should smooth things over. [Note: if you were not alive in the early 1970s, Google "long-haired freaky people."]

SPOILER ALERT! DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

I haven't blogged any song spoilers so far this season, mainly because I didn't know how much faith I could put into the ones I had come across. If you've read my blog over the last couple of seasons, you know I walk through fire to find spoilers for theme nights so that I can play my own version of Fantasy Idol.

But, considering that MJ has been right on the money every week with song selections, I'll go ahead and pass them along. Only Bucky's selection remains a mystery. And I feel confident that these choices are accurate.

According to
MJ's Blog, Will will be singing How Sweet it Is (To be Loved by You). James Taylor, The Temps and Marvin Gaye have all recorded this song, and if this performance is any indication, if this is his choice, it will probably be a Motown arrangement. (Let's just hope he loses the vest.)

Evidentially Taylor is furthering the Michael McDonald comparisons with Taking it to the Streets. Gedeon is doing exactly what he should be doing with Percy Sledge's When a Man Loves a Woman. Elliott is planning yet another slow number with Heaven by Bryan Adams.

Chris and Ace are allegedly planning to perform songs I've not heard of, but I did sample them on Amazon and, if the spoilers are true, each song is suited perfectly. Chris will be performing Broken by Seether, and Ace plans Butterflies, recorded by Michael Jackson.

If what Kevin plans is accurate, we could be left in awe or agony and could lead to a major Clay comparison. The spoilers indicate he will perform Don McLean's Vincent, which is a beautiful song when someone remembers all the lyrics. [For those who didn't watch season two, Clay was forced via Fishbowl to perform this song, totally screwed up the lyrics and was summarily blasted during the Final Three episode, not that it hurt him any.] I can just hear it now. Simon to Kevin: Kevin, I like you. And I much prefer your Vincent to that guy from the second season. More civil unrest ensues.

Again, no word on Bucky, other than it's a "safe selection."

END OF SPOILERS/
BEGINNING OF RANT

Mandisa, it appears, has really distanced herself in the race, if reviews translate properly to votes. I couldn't help myself last night, throwing all of my support to Melissa in a last-ditch attempt to save her a spot in the finals. I'm frankly getting fed up with the blatant favoring of a few contestants and the addition of a few others as sacrificial lambs. It happens every single season, so much so that the producers seem not to even feel the need to hide their intent. Melissa's performance was no better or worse than a couple of others and yet only she and Kinnik were told to pack bags? Kinnik is history because in three weeks she's failed to impress, but Melissa deserves better than to be nothing more than a seat filler. I still think those two, plus Lisa, will be the bottom three on Thursday. My only remaining hope is that enough other people are as fed up as I am.

Mad as hell, and all that stuff...

END OF RANT

I can just see it now:
Simon to Kevin: If this were smouldering Idol, you'd win it hands down.

See you tonight.

7 Comments:

Blogger MP said...

I truley hope your spoilers are wrong. I love when they do fun songs that I know and that I think most people would know. My hubby and I are so stoked to see Chris perform tonight so I'll be bummed if it's not recognizable. My 2 cents... Kinnik is gone and Ayla should be too but it may be Melissa. I hope Melissa's back next week and I also hope we don't have to see her bellybutton again. I prediect Will and Kevin will tank.

5:01 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger Happy Hiker said...

Chris's song by Seather will be perfect and I can't wait to see it. I love that song. I agree with you about Melissa staying. She is not idol worthy but I am finding that she should stick around 1 more week. It's so frusturating that the judges try to seal one's fate...and it is even sadder that the public will probably follow their comments as if they all had one brain. I like to think of myself as the cow that walks away from the heard, and I hope others do to. It will be an interesting show.

5:21 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

Based on blog opinion, if everyone that thinks Melissa should stay actually voted for her, she is safe. Ayla or Lisa will join Kinnik at LAX Thursday night.

6:32 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

LOL JR. Considering the degree of respect the show has given a few of these kids, they'll probably be sent home via Greyhound.

I'm holding out hope, considering that America does not appreciate being told who to like.

I don't particularly expect Melissa, if she makes it through, to stay any longer than Lindsey did, but dang, the overt pimping has got to have gotten to more people than just us.

Well, at least I hope so.

6:37 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

When Simon tells Lisa, "We all want you here next week" I'm voting for anyone else...just as soon as I wake up from my nap after that song last night!
Lock and load the VCR, TiVo, DVD or whatever you own, the guys are next and the fun is about to begin.
In the words of that famous American philosopher, Larry The Cable Guy, "Git-R-Done!!!"

7:21 PM, March 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was disappointed with the girls last night. Lisa was one of my favorites since her first audition, but her boring songs really are changing my mind.

I am with you that Melissa is singing her little heart out! I don't ever vote, but I sure hope she isn't sent home tomorrow.
It should be interesting.

P.S. I just heard Ace sing. Lovin' the beanie! Even though I had never heard that song, he really did have the falsetto thing going.. hmmm...

I am loving Talyor Hicks! He would just be a whole lotta fun to watch in concert!! LOL
Didn't care too much for Chris' song this time. I like Gedeon too! I love the song Kevin sang, but think his day to go home is tomorrow. Will really does look like Bobby Brady.
Elliot was just "eh."
Bucky was alright. I love that song choice. It fits him.

Sorry so long and choppy. Sort of a makeshift simulblog!! LOL
HillareeDay

9:02 PM, March 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates what they're doing to Melissa. She IS "singing her little heart out", and she deserves recognition for that (i.e., a spot in the Top 12).

And what is up with Lisa's song choices? Vocally, I like her, but I think she's trying too hard to seem more mature. Like I've said before with other contestants, I'd love to see her cut loose and rock the house. The question is, will she be around after tonight to do that?

I dunno. It's anybody's guess who's going home tonight. I have my guesses, but you never know. Only a few more hours til we see whose fate is sealed.

2:50 PM, March 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!