Sunday, February 26, 2006

idol mutterings...

When I'm muttering, I'm basically just talking to myself, so y'all can just ignore me. Or, better yet, y'all can mutter with me. Thanks for all the comments and the messages on the tagboard. Idol fans are the best people!

Sandie was wishing for a return to the Wildcard episode, the one thing that they ripped away with the new girl/boy format. She's right. The wildcard episode was always the most fun of all of the semi-final rounds, bringing back rejected contestants for one last chance, giving viewers one selection and each of the judges one pick. Some of those picks were really crappy and obviously meant for commerical appeal (Simon=Carmen) or just because one judge was on crack (Paula=Leah) or because one fab contestant had the misfortune to be stuck in a group with two other fab contestants (voters=Clay).

Generally speaking, I much prefer the current semi-final format, as we get to know the kids before they get down to the finals, and it does prevent the problem of only getting to choose two performers from a great group, like season two which, in one group had Ruben, Kimberley and Clay, and the opposite nightmare of being forced to deal with two from one monumentally crappy group, like group two from season three where the best we had was Camile. [I promise you, this is the very first time I have ever written the words best and Camile in the same sentence. I plan never to again. I must now wash my hands.]

I'm still smarting over losing Patrick Hall. To be honest, he never once even entered my radar as a possible ejection, even though his was certainly not one of the best performances Wednesday night. Patrick faced a lot of problems, namely being first up in a two-hour show of new contestants. By the time it came to vote, many people (myself included) had forgotten he even sang, much less what and how well or poorly. I never had any illusions that he would make final 12, but his was not one of the two worst performances. Again, lack of airtime cost another one.

The downside to the six guys/six gals quota system is that, of course, there may be seven great men and five great women. Why must we be saddled with a Mikalah when there's a Travis? I'd like to see them consider adding two more weeks (note to Santa: I want fewer audition episodes, please) to the voting performances, cutting the final 24 to eight, instead of 12 then adding a wildcard episode, still giving each judge one pick, which was always fun even when it was a bad choice, and the audience another look at the ones they let slip away.

Again, I'm just talking to myself.

But if you want to talk to yourself, I'd love to know what you think.


tag: american idol

11 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

My buddy Mike has some comments about Ace in his recap from last week. Click on the link and scroll down to read them. DO NOT click on the link if you are offended by R-rated language.

I don't know about the wild cards. I think that puts through too many people who get airtime ahead of others who don't. Right now, we have enough trouble with 24 people, some of whom (Abandoned by Mother, Chris and Basketball Girl) who get lots of face time and some (Heather, Melissa, Will) who don't.

With the wild cards, there are 32 people to choose from and those who get shown a lot get put through.

9:44 AM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

I LMAO at Mike's Ace commentary. Oh dear. Ace is converting the guys. LMAO.

But my little Kevin is not either a hobbit! ;o)

10:24 AM, February 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mudderings...
I like Taylor but I think I like him most because he's an underdog and not because of his voice. I think his voice is good but American Idol good??...not sure about that. I would also like to see the wildcard back in. I think the boy/girl thing is certainly going to cut boys that should be in!

11:10 AM, February 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first year to watch this part of the competition. I normally watch the auditions then come back when they get to the top 10. I must say that I agree with Mike about Ace. Did anyone notice Mandisa when he performed? She sat there with her hand over her mouth in shock. She must have been feeling what I was feeling because the other girls gave Ace a standing ovation, but Mandisa didn't. I think she was like me: too hot and bothered to stand.

11:22 AM, February 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog cracks me up!! I have not watched AI this year (since the last 2 years made me SO MAD)but I have been keeping up with it through this website. All the comments about Ace are so funny. He must be something to see in action! Maybe I will do my best to catch it this Wednesday...

1:19 PM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger dobriak said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:49 PM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

LOL Curious. We really must have an Ace Young Appreciation Entry.

;o)

5:38 PM, February 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find myself checking this board as soon as i turn on my PC.

Jen, I was I knew how to quit you!!!

6:02 PM, February 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many girls I've spoken to were drooling over Ace at the end of his song. Pitiful really. But damn funny!

8:38 PM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

A little lust is a good thing. But of course, a lot of lust is even better!!!

:o)

8:51 PM, February 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROTFL...I love this blog! I'm with the person who posted earlier, who said they found themselves going here first when they log on to the computer; I do the same thing. :-) Great job! Keep the recaps coming.

11:36 AM, March 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!