Tuesday, February 21, 2006

girls night one: early observations...

After hours and hours of auditions, bad group numbers and overall boringness, it's time to hit the stage live. And as Ryan tells us, it's ladies first. Of course.

But, of course, the guys are huddled on the nearest bleachers. They will soon be dubbed the "dawg pound" no doubt.

Of course they're going two hours, since, well, figure skating is on on another channel and, since Idol is winning the ratings medal race, they simply must rub it into Sasha Cohen's face. So with two hours, there's more filler than lyrics, so we're treated to a review of how all of the girls got the news that they were moving on to next rounds.

But they are dressed. They are rehearsed, or so they say. And they sing. And here they are, as always, from worst to first, reserving my right to rewind, rewatch and rearrange:

Stevie Scott makes sure we understand that she has studied opera since, like, the beginning of her life. So she says she's going to sing Josh Groban. Perhaps she shouldn't have. She misses more notes than she hits, disappointing me because I thought she would do better. Simon calls it a complete mess. He's being kind.

Becky O'Donahue tells everyone she's going to sing Because the Night because it holds special sister-type memories. She sounds better than she has through the audition/Hollywood episodes, which isn't saying much because I'm still wondering why she made it this far.

Heather Cox explains that the reason nobody heard her in the Hollywood episodes is because she didn't have a voice. And she also admits to being an Idol stalker. Her too? So, because she's such a big fan, she's going to show season four how to sing When You Tell Me That You Love Me. Randy and Paula tell her that the song was boring. No kidding. We said that last year. But they're right; she is average, even boring, but not the worst tonight. I still, though, think she's toast.

Brenna Gathers dedicates You are the Sunshine of my Life to her mom, and tells the story of her life in three minutes. She's not bad; she's not great. She's just there. The judges blast her for playing it too safe, but she is Brenna in her full glory, actually slowly becoming more charming with time. And each pose.

Kinnik Sky wanders into "should be banned song" territory to dredge up Get Here. She's not bad. She's not great. She's a six, says Randy. She's being overshadowed by the toddlers, says Simon. When you haven't had any airtime to speak of, you must be unforgettable. She's not.

Melissa McGhee revels in the fact that Simon went from hate to love during the process, then proceeds to burn her employment bridges but performs When the Lights Go Down with the same stridency that bothered me from Kellie. It may be her; it may be the song. I'm not sure, but I am not entertained, nor am I annoyed. Ambivalence, perhaps. She does get her pitch in, though, that she's not been seen yet on the how, and for that I give her bonus points.

Kellie Pickler says since she doesn't have a love life, she's going to be thinking of her dad when she tries How Far by Martina McBride. Now forgive me, but I detest country, and I about got fed up with Martina McBride songs last season. But Kellie pushes the song so hard that my muscles start hurting. But she's so danged lovable, that a lukewarm performance is quickly forgotten. And I'm glad that Clyde, her grandfather, is getting dates. Really. I am.

Ayla Brown says she's going to sing Reflections from Mulan because she wants respect. She surprises me. Or I surprise me. I'm not sure which. But I liked it. And I liked her.

Mandisa tackles Heart and is, of course, reminded that Carrie Underwood did too. "Sisters can rock too," she announces. And she can. And she does. Simon tells her she's going to the finals. She tells the world that she and Simon are "kinda" dating. Oh geesh. Here we go again. I thought they had a new fraternization policy.

Lisa Tucker tears up Jennifer Holliday's I am Changing. Finally the girl seems to understand that there's more to performing than singing. Randy gives her the eh, eh, okay dude treatment, but Simon, of all people, assures her that she's the real thing.

Paris Bennett decides to take on Gladys Knight and try Midnight Train to Georgia. She all but touches every single member of the dawgpound and the audience. She's pretty and she's perky and she takes no prisoners.

As we've come to expect, the last performer is who the producers think is the best on that given day. And they were right. Katharine McPhee's version of Since I Fell for You is one of the most comfortable, relaxed performances I've ever seen on the semi-final stage. And while the competition is tight in the first five spots, she just edges the others out. By an eyelash.

Tomorrow night: the guys. Eight o'clock. FOX.

tag: american idol

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right on the money honey! I love your blog. I wanted to do an IDOL blog, but I just don't have the time. I will bookmark your site and put a link on my page. I am rooting for Katharine, Lisa, or Kellie in the girls group. In the guys...I like Taylor Hicks and Chris D. :)

11:09 PM, February 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Brenna (she's so danged 'cocky' should go home, and also Stevie because her 'opera' voice just isn't gonna make it! Katherine is my favorite, think she'll make it to the end ..

11:14 PM, February 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's between Kelly, Paris or Ayla for sure! Love all three of them, so which ever one is fine with me.

7:26 AM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the girls that were bad, were so bad that even my five year old was telling me "she's boring" "she can't sing" "ewww" during their performances. Paris was the best IMO. An early favorite for me, look forward to seeing the guys tonight! nettie jerseygirljournal.com

9:30 AM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my!! I LOVED The little "spunky black girl" as I call her. haha!! She put on SOME show!! I also LOVED Lisa Tucker, she is naturally talented.

Cant wait for tonight, to see the guys!

love ya,
Meg

11:11 AM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

LOL @ worst ever. Pretty close, but I still think all of the women's semi-finals last season were the worst ever, so I put last night just a notch above those. At least I like about five women this go-round, unlike last season when I only liked one and couldn't stand the others. (Vonzell slowly grew on me with time.)

I still think this was nerves, at least I hope so. Cause I don't want to dread the girls again like I did last season.

Bring on the MEN!!! ;o)

11:21 AM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger Nelle said...

My favorite was Katherine. Right behind her I liked Lisa, then Paris. I think they will be around for a long time. I couldn't get through to vote for Katherine so she must have gotten a LOT of votes.

11:45 AM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger Prom said...

FInally I found you again. WHY did I even think I lost you since you're on my links lol.

I really can't stand that Paris girl... she's too cocky although she may be considered great by some, I think her attitude is eventually gonna do away with her.

I liked very few of the women this year. I'm sure my feelings will change as the show goes on.

I like Kellie although I think she isn't gonna do well unless she's doing country but I think she's going for the sympathy votes. I may be wrong.

Katharine is so far my favorite although I'm not putting my money on her yet.

Can't wait to see if the guys make more of an impression.

Love your blog as always!

Promise

1:13 PM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Jennifer!!!! You know I am one of YOUR biggest fans. I love this blog and your take on things. My wish list after last nights performances would be:
Manisa
Kelli
Paris
Lisa
Katherine
Melissa
I agree with the judges, too many of these girls are FORGETTABLE. Looking forard to the MEN!!!

2:27 PM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree 100% with Maggie...Mandisa, Kellie, Paris, Melissa, Lisa, and Katherine are definetly my top 6 so far. Even though Ayla was good...I just can't get myself to like her at all. And yeah...Brenna and Stevie are my picks to go home this week. Can't wait to see the guys tonight!!

2:45 PM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger AlbGlinka said...

I Am Changing? Gag me. The only people who should sing that song are: 1)Jennifer Holliday or 2) any drag queen with Jennifer Holliday aspirations. Not some pampered ex-Star Search girl. UGH!

I'd rather be watching Sasha Cohen, which I was taping!

2:55 PM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love American Idol, and think you were right on with all the female performers last night...but my top six girls...In no order yet...kellie, Manisa, Katherine, Lisa, Alya and paris...Can't wait to hear the boys tonight. By the way, they were all very cute and supportive when the girls were performing, I hope they react the same way when the guys are performing tonight...My top six guys...Chris, Taylor, Elliot, Ace, David and either Will or Kevin

3:24 PM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with most except analysis of Lisa Tucker. This girl undoubtedly has talent but her voice is a mess. Her machine gun vibrato on held notes that go NOWHERE is just BAD SINGING, to mention one of many problems. If she keeps it up her singing career will be over by age 25. Technique and style need MAJOR improvement.

9:18 PM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listened to Lisa agian.
Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!

7:48 PM, February 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!