Sunday, March 05, 2006

idol notes...

In seasons past, predicting the final 12 has been somewhat simple. It's easy to figure out who the anointed ones are, considering they're generally given tons of profile time and little in the way of critical judging. But there always seems to be a surprise, somebody who comes out of nowhere, either because that person is being intentionally hidden or takes the producers by surprise.

This year's final group is really tough. Of course, we know who some of them will be, but the battle for votes for the few open slots should be fun to watch this week.

Of course, I always hope for one of those "shocking" eliminations, the ones where Ryan looks at us sternly and admonishes us for being lazy and not picking up the phone, as long as the shocking exitee is not one of my favorites. I'm selfish that way.

If there is to be a "shocker" this week, on the girls' side, I would pick Lisa, but only if Melissa whips out an unexpected masterpiece that even the judges can't pick apart without revealing their biases. Jessica Sierra did it last year, ousting Amanda Avila, who I think was the preferred finalist. Melissa has the pipes to pull it off, but the question lingers if she has the fan support. Lisa, on the other hand, has the problem of competing with Paris for the all-important teen/tween vote, and she's just not seemingly pulling them in.

I don't see Kinnik surviving another trip to the stage.

On the guys' side, we know Chris, Ace and Taylor are locks, so it comes down to a battle for the last three spots. The one I'm most concerned with is Elliott, who absolutely deserves a place in the finals, but may be lagging in much of the popularity polls. If there's a shocker to be had Thursday, it could very well be him.

Online polls and message boards are split on the Will v. Bucky v. Gedeon v. Kevin debate. Should Elliott advance, it's going to come down to two of these four. Which two, however, is anyone's guess. I think Will probably has the advantage, and Kevin's getting the Vote for the Worst support for what it's worth (as is Kellie), but for once, it could really come down to sudden death on Wednesday.

Gee, I hope they don't do Stevie Wonder.

But I do hope that somebody has a little talk with Paula. I know the crazy Paula is much more entertaining than the non-crazy Paula, but there's a place for laughter, and Thursday night wasn't it. I still see with sadness Heather Cox's face, a combination of fear and confusion as the judges, on live television, decided it was time for Romper Room. After five seasons of eliminating kids, I know it's just another elimination show to them, and I know it's an entertainment show, but it's important to those who are going to get the boot to, at least, have the illusion that their disappointment and tenure on the show mattered. At least a little.

But on a much, much lighter note, Bo Bice will be performing on Thursday's results show. Now we're talking!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be extremely disappointed if Elliot left the show.
I really like this young man.
He actually sings, instead of emoting.
I sense that Mr. Cowell really doesn't like her,(In my opionion) the same way he didn't like Jessica last year.
You can almost see him brutalizing her if she makes it to the next round.
I'll be a' dialing for Elliot!!!!

5:57 PM, March 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops I left out Meliisa's name!!!!

5:58 PM, March 05, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

I get the same impression about Simon/Melissa. And you can bet I'll be on the phone voting for Elliott too!

6:09 PM, March 05, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

I really appreciate you having the most recent songs posted. After listening to several again, I think Kinnik and Lisa may be in the most difficulty. Last week three of the girls did country, including Melissa. The problem with Melissa is that Simon has NO CLUE regarding country music and wouldn't give it the time of day. I feel the same way about Hip-Hop & Rap. Like it or not, Country music is making another resurgence similar to the late 80's early 90's when Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood led the way. After replaying their performances (audio only), Kellie and Melissa sound good enough to record now. They have all the tools to make it big in Coountry Music. Does that translate to an American Idol? Probably not.

8:34 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

JR, I'm glad somebody else thinks Lisa might be in trouble. And it's amazing what just listening to the audio will do. A good performance can mask a lot of bad notes.

Of all of the audio, the one I've listened to (and enjoyed) most has been Will's.

8:40 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

I think Kinnik and Bucky are given to get whacked. Kinnik will need to be the second coming of Diana Ross and Bucky will have to channel a whole lot of Hank Williams to even have a slim hope of surviving.

If there is anyone who could possibly be a surprise elimination, for the girls it would be Katharine, who was coasting until last week, and for the guys, it's Kevin. I don't think he'll get whacked now that his nerd-loving teenie-bopper fans know they have to vote, but I think Will and Gedeon are fighting for the final spot in the finals.

9:24 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

I don't think Kinnik has a snowball's chance, but dang, I don't wanna lose Bucky. He's growing on me.

I still want to whack three gals and lose just Kevin, my little cutie pie.

10:02 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

Final thoughts...Mandisa needs to go into the Aretha Franklin archives, drag out "Chain of Fools", and bring the house down.
Ayla maybe on the bubble. She looks and sounds a little too much like Kathrine to truly separate herself. Lisa has a similar problem with Paris. They will split a vote that could cost Lisa a final position. Kellie found her niche last week. She needs to park herself in that country/rock venue and stay there until she can no longer survive. Kinnik just needs to pack her bags. There is nothing wrong with her, she just isn't going any further. Melissa needs votes to overcome the Simon factor. Later everyone!!!

1:14 PM, March 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!