Tuesday, February 28, 2006

and then there were ten...

After an unimpressive start, the remaining 10 women have a ways to go to convince us that, as a group, they're more entertaining than the guys.

They didn't. But we are treated to a return to the vintage Paula and a round of musical chairs. That itself was semi-amusing and somewhat worth the 90-minute investment.

And so here they are, my early impressions, subject to rewind, review and rearrangement, and as always, from worst to first:

Kinnik Sky is saluting country because she wants to remind (inform?) everyone that she's from the South and everybody knows Idols only come from the South. So she sings some song I've never heard about only being There for the Party that Randy mentions is by somebody named Gretchen. I generally worry about critiquing country music because, well, I hate it, so I feel relieved when the judges pretty much chop her at the knees, just above the cowboy boots. In a word, that was awful.

Brenna Gethers promises to "own" Donna Summer's Last Dance, but trashes it instead. And in her quest to further destruct, crosses the line from playful to arrogant, ensuring her ouster or a rush to the phones to keep her in. People tend to vote for the one whom Simon announces needs to pack her bags, but I have a hunch this time those voters may be too busy applauding to dial.

Heather Cox, the Idol stalker, explains that she's going to put us through a Mariah moment because "Hero has never ever been performed on this show." Earth to Heather: there's a reason for that. Paula tells her she looks nice, Randy agrees. She looks nice. Simon tells her the entire performance is pointless if she's not as good as Mariah and merely going to karaoke the song. I think she looked very nice.

Since it is a FCC regulation that no American Idol episode may be aired without a Stevie Wonder song, Katharine McPhee treats us to All in Love is Fair after explaining that she and Kellie love each other and like spending time in bed. Great. Scandal! Randy says bad song. Paula takes another sip of her cocktail, and Simon says after three performances, Katharine's will be forgotten. I dozed halfway through her performance, so I'll just tend to agree.

I heard on great authority (that authority being a 12-year-old girl) that Lisa Tucker is not high on the favorite list of the hot-dialing tweens. And I doubt that she did much to help her cause, taking on yet another ballad, this time the Jackson 5's Who's Loving You. Technically she was adequate, but the judges were right that a 16-year-old trying to show off how old she can be is not going to advance her very far.

Ayla Brown takes on Celine Dion. She's thrilled to have discovered cosmetics during her Idol run. (Note to self: buy stock in Max Factor.) The judges remark how she's surprising them time after time. She is surprising me too. As much as I try not to like this girl, I can't.

We get a little glimpse of when Mayberry met Hollywood with Kellie Pickler explaining her food adventures. Somehow, somewhere in my gut, something just doesn't ring true about this girl. Either that or I'm just sick of the "look how dumb I am" routine. But she does good work with Something to Talk About. Paula gives her a squish moment, Randy orders the dawgpound to bark and Simon announces that, if we haven't already, America will fall in love with this genuinely loveable girl. Speak for yourself, Simon.

Paris Bennett, the teenager with the tween vote, according to my reliable sourse, decides to rapidly age with Wind Beneath my Wings. Oh Paris, please do not do this again until a theme night forces you to. Will somebody please banish that song from the AI catalog. Please. Except for a few flat places, she was the Paris we've come to expect, I just hate that song. Her grandmother is pleased though, and she tells Ryan she sang it because it's her great-Aunt's favorite, to which Simon replies case closed.

Mandisa gets the sweet spot, wrapping up the performances with Cry a Little. Does she know that that's a microphone in front of her? It's a crappy song, but a decent performance. I just wish she would just go totally wild and just once not try to out-amplify the amplifiers. Simon and Randy are less than impressed but they agree with me that if and when Mandisa finds just the right tune, it's going to be a performance to remember.

Having already established the fact that I am not a country music fan, I found myself tapping a foot or two to Melissa McGhee's Why Haven't I Heard from You. After what I considered a bland performance last week, she was fun, energetic and, in an overall weak night, she was a bright spot. And hers was my favorite of the night.

Tomorrow the dawgs. (Is anyone else kinda sick of the dawgpound routine?) And if Paula insists on turning the girls into poodles again, I hope someone has her spayed.


tag: american idol

18 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

Melissa = horse teeth. ROFLMAO

And Misanthrope, thanks. I'm glad to be away from AOL too. And I am loving me some Taylor Hicks!

10:27 PM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Emily Suess said...

The girls are less than impressive. Can't wait for Taylor!

10:40 PM, February 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering why I even bother to watch the ladies. I guess it's so I can pass the time until I see Ace again.
I'm really looking forward to the men because the girls just aren't doing it for me, with the exception of Mandisa.

10:45 PM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Sunshine said...

hey Jennifer~

I just started reading your blog last week and I love it! You do a great job of keeping fans up to date and it's better than having to read the ridiculous comments made by the tweens on the idol site.

I agree....the guys have it this year! (Taylor and Chris are my picks!) The girls just aren't that great, although I have an inkling for Katharine this season. I do have to disagree though about the country music. It's definitely coming back full force and making an impact on a lot of viewers. As a country music fan (growing up listening to my mom and grandma with Patsy and Roy O.), I thought Melissa did an awesome job. Mandisa ruined Cry, but I don't think anyone can do Faith Hill justice. (I still like her though.) And as for Kinnik, I'm sure Gretchen Wilson is still laughing her butt off right now, thinking how even a drunk loser singing karaoke would do better than that.

Anyways...sorry to make my comments so long. Just wanted to let you know this is my newest bookmark and I'll be checking in each night/week for details!!

11:35 PM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

Singing country music isn't the kiss of death, but people should remember that this is a pop music show and except for country night, they'll have to be singing pop songs.

Carrie survived last year because she was the second-best vocalist in the competition (after Anwar), but I don't think Kellie is strong enough, either vocally or emotionally.

If American Idol breaks any of the finalists, I think it will be her.

I'm also sick to death of Brenna eye-boinking the camera. Where all the girls like Constanting doing it last year, I think the girls in the audience this year find it patronising and a little disingenuous.

I really hope she gets kicked off Thursday night.

6:40 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

They used to emphasize the pop aspect of this show, then they threw it all away with the Carrie pimping, so I don't think they can say it's a strictly pop show anymore. (Well, of course, they can say it, but it's not true, especially when we've also had two R&B winners.)

I'm just sick to death of Brenna period. Her behavior last night was inexcusable, IMO, and normally one little hissy outburst is enough to turn away viewers, but the body of her behavior over the last several weeks on top of it? I think she's toast. At least I hope so.

And no apologizing for long comments allowed. The longer they are the better!!!

And BTW, I just finished listening to the performances. Holy cow, they were worse than I thought. And my order is waaaay off.

;o)

8:33 AM, March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

with the exception of Mandisa (and even she could have done better but at least she was decent), they all sucked last night. Was the boringest show ever. Horrible song choices.

Let's hope they guys are better or this season is gonna be a doozy!

nettie
jerseygirljournal

8:45 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:30 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

I am going to call this the "Anthony Fedorov Effect". Everyone thinks they can power-ballad their way to the top (yes, "power-ballad" is now a verb) because that's what tracheotomy-boy did.

It's pathethic actually. Clay started it, but Anthony turned it into an art form.

Just once, I would love to see someone break into "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies or "Baby Got Back" instead of a worn-out song with a big-note finish.

9:31 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

LOL Dave, I like that. We'll call it AFE for short. And when we say they've been AFEd again, people will understand what we mean!

Cause you're right about Federov. At least when Clay tried to switch it up, he did it successfully. When AFed did it, it was like Poison Ivy.

9:46 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Nelle said...

I have never liked country music and there was not one song last night that I enjoyed. Instead of who was the best I was trying to decide who was the least offensive to my ears. I was so disappointed in Katharine who I feel overall is the best hope for the girls. From the start I felt that Kellie was going to be like this and I don't think anyone will be falling in love with her who has an IQ over 100 or who is not in the throes of puberty. Brenna is the type you just love to hate IMO. I hope we see her waving goodbye next week.

11:21 AM, March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. I just wasn't impressed with last night's show. Many of the performances were lackluster, far from what we tend to expect with Idol. I was screaming at the TV when Heather announced she was singing a Mariah Carey song. Bad, Heather, bad! DON'T take on a Mariah song unless you have the phenomenal pipes to back it up. And as for Brenna, well, Delta is ready when you are. Pack your bags, sister.

11:28 AM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Happy Hiker said...

This show is all about the producers, and who they want you to think is good. Ultimately we make the decision, but it helps when they show 10 more minutes of Kellie Pickler throughout the competition compared to the 1-2 minutes they focused on Melissa thus far. You see what I am saying? Last night Melissa blew Kellie away vocally, but hey it's cool cuz it was the first time Kellie ate a spinich salad and ohh that's so sweet and innosent. (urghhh). Then at the end, the 15 seconds they showed of Melissa's song wasn't even the best part. It's all what the producers want you to see.

I picked Ayla, because she was clearly the best last night... Paris was good too.

4:38 PM, March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just recently discovered this blog and really enjoy it too! I'd just like to make one comment - even with the crappy singers we're still stuck with I'd like to propose that we keep all the contestants and vote the JUDGES off the show if they don't quit fighting!! I am so sick of Paula and Randy inturupting and arguing with Simon every time he opens his mouth that I'm considering turning off the show. Or at least changing the channel everytime the camera is on a judge!!!

5:49 PM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

OMG, I totally agree. I am so sick of Paula and her yappy little puppy antics. I just want to see Simon haul off and slap her. Randy doesn't bother me so much, because he's not so insistent and persistent.

Paula needs an intervention. Yesterday.

5:56 PM, March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does Paula seem like she's drunk?
She sure acts like she is at times.

7:10 PM, March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love coming to your journal to get your feedback after I watch the show! You could sooo take Paula's place on the judges' bench!LOL
Has anyone ever noticed how she basically paraphrases everything Randy says?
I think the boys are better than the girls and you are right about Paris having the 'tweens market cornered. I work with a bunch of school kids. She is the one they are talking about.
My favorites for the girls:
Ayla and Paris
My favorite for the guys:
Taylor, Eliot, Chris and I really liked Gedeon this week.

I hope Breanna and I think it is the end of the line for Kinnik or Heather.

For the guys I think Bucky and sweet little Kevin will pack bags too.

Hillaree Day from AOL-J!

9:46 PM, March 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops! correction:
I hope Breanna goes home!
Is what I meant to write there.

Hillaree Day

9:49 PM, March 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!