Wednesday, March 01, 2006

and then there were 10, part 2...

The guys don't have to jump through too many vocal hoops to top last night's women, but who cares, cause Bo Bice is in da house!! I know that Carrie's going to leave the wheel to Jesus on tomorrow's one-hour result show, but why can't they just skip about three of tonight's performances and just let Bo sing. He does a cappella, after all.

Alas. Deep sigh.

Overall the guys are a mixed bag, ranging from great to great-god-how-the-hell-did-he-make-it-this-far. But they are far superior, as a group, to the women. And Bo's there. Did I mention that?

So here are my picks, as always, from worst to first.

Sway Penala fulfills the Stevie Wonder FCC regulation with Overjoyed. Thankfully he's shed the pimp wardrobe. He starts off poorly, even with Taylor singing backup from the balcony, and stuff just goes downhill. Simon calls it pure karaoke. I don't think it was that good. Randy says it was worse than last week. It wasn't. Nothing could have been worse than last week. We are not overjoyed. Stevie Wonder is beginning legal proceedings to rescind all of his music from AI clearance. I support that.

Uncomfortable was a good way to describe David Radford's performance of The Way You Look Tonight. One of my biggest criticisms with David has always been that he tries too hard, and it shows. That song has been performed before, and better, on this show.

Who needs Ace Young when we've got Kevin Covais, the lady-killer sex machine who's Hearing Through the Grapevine that tweens everywhere think he's cute. I think he's cute too. And funny. And self-effacing in a mature and adorable sort of way. But damn, that hurt my ears. And my heart. But he does kinda resemble little Chicken Little.

I hate when they sing songs I've never heard, but after last week, I figure it won't matter what Ace Young is singing. However, I'm wrong. It's terrible, but I'm not certain if it's the song I don't like or the performance, especially after Randy and Paula praise it. Actually I think they're still hung over from the bland that was the women, that anything, to them, sounds good. Cause it sure didn't sound good to me.

Because we've not heard enough ballads over the last two nights, Will Makar decides to treat us to Kenny Rogers' Lady because, well, Kenny is from Texas like Will is so he has to represent. And all. It's very pleasant in an easy listening sort of way, especially with Mom singing backup, but I doubt I'll be humming it to myself after the show. The judges are expectedly lukewarm, even though the kid cringes when Simon tells him essentially that little 11-year-old girls are throwing their panties at television sets across the country.

Bucky Covington doesn't like the food in the Hollywood because he can't understand it. Kinda like we can't understand a single word he mumbles. But his When the Thunder Rolls is not bad at all. It's certainly an improvement from the previous week, but Simon says he's a supporter to the stars. Simon's right. Bucky is someone who's just there. If he can find his own Whipping Post and essentially kidnap the audience, he may break out of the supporting role. But until then, he's one of the "and the rest..."

Did I mention that Bo Bice is in the audience tonight?

Taylor Hicks goes from the anchor spot to the opening one with :::whoa!::: Lionel Ritchie's Easy. And Taylor is easy like Sunday morning with a song that is just so un-Taylor. :::Whoa!::: The "whoa" cry just doesn't work with the Commodores. None of the judges are overly impressed, and, as much as I adore Taylor, neither am I. :::Whoa!:::

Well, I've found a new favorite in Gedeon McKinney who shows the utmost respect to Sam Cooke's A Change is Gonna Come. The the biggest change comes from Simon who tells the kid with the smile that had he been around 40 years ago, Berry Gordy would have snagged him. I think he's got a ticket, but not a ticket home. I think he just bought his way into next week.

Elliott Yamin announces plans to sing yet another ballad, despite the fact that the women balladed us to death the night before. His performance is so mesmerizing that it's over by the time I realize I haven't even gotten as far as writing down his name. Paula stands. Randy stands. The crowd stands. Simon tells him he needs to pull something great out of his back pocket if he's to win before giving him the Simon good seal of approval. The man is terrific.

Wow. Chris Daughtry. Wow. That performance is gonna make those episode-ending recap moments totally suck. Wow. Have you just ever been at a loss for any word other than that?

Tomorrow the results. Four people get shot down. No, Dick Cheney will not be there. But Carrie Underwood will be.

And did I mention that there was a Bo sighting?

So, who was good? Who was bad? Who should bite the dust?

12 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

Now tonight was so much better than last night. With the exception of Katharine, Mandisa, and Kellie, this show could live on just the guys. Chris, Elliott, Taylor, and David were my faves of the night, respectively. I thought David did ok, and it hurt me to hear what the judges had to say, after they told him to go back to what he knows. And I think he was thinking that, you could see it in his face. Taylor's performance was also ok, but he's got my votes just cos he's always great. Chris and Elliott had the best performances for sure, though. (Does anyone remember who sang Elliott's song last year as their audition song? I can't think of it, it might have been someone voted out before the top 12.) Gedeon reminds me of Anwar! No offense Dave, but OMG, I CANT STAND HIM! He just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's the smile, like Simon said. I don't know. Overall, tonight was a much better night than last night. My votes to go home are:
Girls~
1. Brenna (should have been gone back at the auditions when she licked that girl's face)
2. Heather (destroyed the only Mariah song I like and probably because it wasn't originally hers)

Guys~
1. Kevin (his cheeks may be pinch-worthy but we can do without him)
2. Sway (just not cutting it with the falsetto and pitchy spots IMO)

11:32 PM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Frances said...

Last week, Kevin was unwatchable. This week, he was fast-forwardable. I pray he's put out of his misery tomorrow night.
Will, Sway, and David were questionable.
I'm not sure what happened to Ace. I think he was thrown off because Bucky was wearing the shirt he wanted to wear. At least he still had his beanie, without it, I think he might have fainted. ~oh, what I wouldn't give to be that beanie!~
I'm still a die-hard Ace fan, I'll just keep watching my recording of 'Father Figure' until he gives me something else worthy of his gorgeousness.
I'm looking forward to next week.

12:02 AM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your comments were dead on! Gedeon made a fan out of more than a few people this week. It's so sad however to see the perfect people who can't forgive a 17 year old for being confident in his abilities and dreams. I didn't really like him at first but he has won me and my family over. He took us back to the old days when music was something you could live by and love to! I look forward to seeing him around for a while. And to those who still wish to bring up that "something bothers me stuff" about the kid - mark my words...A change is gonna come!

12:19 AM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Sunshine said...

ok, so maybe I was a little harsh comparing Gedeon to Anwar (cos no one can annoy anyone more than Anwar annoyed me...oh wait, Brenna did). I'll give him more time to grow on me.

BTW, Jennifer, your comments were great again tonight. I like to give my opinion before I read what you write because I tend to agree with you more as I read on. So, giving my opinion first, makes me not change my mind so fast. :)

12:33 AM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could we get a ban on the Stevie Wonder stuff? Again, your comments are pretty much on the money. Elliot out-crooned the crooners last night and made it look so easy. Chris was amazing. Taylor was dissapointing last night. He really needs to do something from Delbert McClinton, John Fogerty, or Joe Cocker if he wants to bring the house down.
I think Sway, Bucky, David, and Will are in trouble.
One last thing, I believe that "throwing panties at the television" comment is mine from earlier. But, feel free to use it anytime.

7:49 AM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

Did you guys see the way Brenna bitch-slapped anyone who got between her and Ace's beenie? It was like she was on the Real World/Road Rules Challenge, she was Crazy Beth (from Los Angeles) and everyone else was in her way. Man, that was funny!

David, Sway and Will are all in danger of being eliminated tonight because they were bad and forgettable.

The AFE was in full force for the guys this week, too. I think someone at Fox circulated a fake memo saying that everyone had to pick a crappy song and most of the people took it seriously.

I seriously hope we're not treated to another round of this same vapid stuff next week.

8:32 AM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Dave, I agree about the crappy song choices. I think that's why Chris was so fab. He didn't choose the expected.

What is going on? You know these kids have access to the songs the others are singing. Either they think they have to fall into the same box or they haven't figured out yet that leaping out of the box will get them the points they need.


And if Taylor doesn't soon give us some Joe Cocker (and I hadn't thought of Fogerty - YUM!!) I'm gonna personally start crucifying him. I want Joe Cocker, dammit!!

I don't know where the throwing panties at the TV line came from, but the first time I did it was in season three when George Huff (the only man worth panties that year) sang Take Me to the Pilot, which is still one of my FAVE moments in the history of the AI world. Needless to say, between the early Anwar and Bo last year, I went through a lot of pairs.

:D

9:23 AM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have but one word for Chris' performance last night...Wow. He's great to begin with, but last night he just floored me. I had taped the show, and I actually re-wound the tape and watched his performance again. Few performances have ever made me do that. Major props to Chris!

11:36 AM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't see the show last night. I think everyone that has written today said that Chris was great and that his song choice was awesome, but nobody wrote what his song choice was!!! Can someone shed a little light for me???

12:16 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Chris sang Hemorrhage, by Fuel. The performance is up on YouTube, and I have linked to it in the pink, if you have highspeed. Not good if you have dialup. And the audio is in the sidebar. Stream it if you have broadband, or right click and save as the pink link if you want to save it!

It really was good!

12:21 PM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris blew it up last night.
No doubt. Made me get out of my chair!! !
Elliot was outstanding,I have to give him him props!!!
I'm realy rooting for him.
I did like Gedeon, though.
Taylor's got to give us something better than he did last night.

Good insight, Jen!!!

2:38 PM, March 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes there was a Bo sighting..I love when you blog about the episode you are so good..oyu never commented on that dumb "free ride" show with the dumb after college bozoo returning home..STUPID SHOW..

hahaa

love ya,
Meg

4:44 PM, March 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!