Wednesday, March 08, 2006

last men standing...

It's the last dance, the last chance for ...

Oh, wait. That was Brenna.

It's boys' night out, and the last eight standing are fighting for six spots remaining. (I still say can four girls and give us all eight guys, but nobody at the stupid show is listening.) The song spoilers are circulating, and there is at least one guarantee: there will be no Stevie Wonder songs performed tonight. Why? Next week is, gulp,
Stevie Wonder Theme Night. Yes, that's right. My worst nightmare is about to materialize.

Somebody just shoot me now.

With a couple of exceptions, the guys are in fine form, especially compared to the women who actually did, as a group, a decent job. If the semi-finals are any indication, the women, with a couple of exceptions, are not going to stick around very long once they hit the big stage.

But anyway, here they are, my first impressions, subject to rewind, review and reassignment, and as always, from worst to first.

Will Makar is studying Japanese and asks, in Japanese, all 11 year olds to UNITE! He should have asked for the 12 year olds to join in, because his version of How Sweet it Is would have sent me on an emergency potty break at a middle school recital. Eww.

Oh! Bucky Covington has a clone. I mean twin. I think they've intentionally withheld this from us, since we're still recovering from the last set of twins, you know, the ones who broke our spirit. One's Bucky and one's Rocky. Wow. Anyway, Bucky looks like Bucky, I mean Rocky, no I mean Bucky. Arghh. No fanciness, just Bucky. And again, I agree with Simon. It wasn't bad by any stretch, but it was nothing special, nothing that I couldn't hear at the Eagles Lodge on a Saturday night.

Gedeon McKinney sings lead-off and shows off his "record is the globe" painting before taking on Percy Sledge. He does put a unique and personal spin on the song, but leaves me unimpressed after last week's effort. The judges are lukewarm and, at first glance, sober. Simon says he's interesting and growing on him. The kid tells Ryan he chose that song because he "knows how to love women." Isn't he like 17? But in fairness, he clears it up by telling us his only true loves are Mom and Gramma. Ahhh.

Ace Young likes to use a hammer because, he tells us, he's become somewhat of a handyman. Now that I think about it, I could use a handyman around my home. But back to the show, I don't know this song, so perhaps I'm not the best judge, but I really don't like it. Ace does the Ace thing, but the whole song just wrecks, making me more in need of a handyman. I wonder if Ace's cute brother is also a handyman.

Okay, go ahead and flame me, but I love Vincent, and I love Kevin. Yes, "starry starry night" and "suffered for your sanity" are not good stretches of lyric for a kid with a lisp, and it is a song about suicide so there wasn't a whole lot of upbeat rock to it, but, despite the judges' historic distaste for that song, Kevin performed it beautifully, all hints of the nerves that have plagued him gone. I loved it. I'm a granny. So there.

Chris Daughtry shares some pictures of him with Ryan Seacrest hair before taking to the eyeball with a performance of Broken. Randy says "rock on." Paula says he'll be selling out stadiums before long. Simon calls it boring. God I hate agreeing with Simon. It was boring and sleepy, especially after last week's amazement.

Elliott Yamin reveals that he has 90 percent hearing loss in one ear. And he sings?? He sings Heaven beautifully. Randy wants to make a record. Elliott is ready to go. Paula, totally coherent, splashes "water" on everyone in her praise. Simon says it's a cop out and that Elliott disconnected with the audience. I say Simon's been sipping Paula's "water." Vote Elliott!!!

Many people have played Santa or the Easter Bunny just for spare change, but most don't wear their costumes on the highest rated show on television. Taylor Hicks does though. And in his obvious attempt to avoid WHOAing through Taking it to the Streets, he makes dance moves that make Jon Peter Lewis look like Drew Lachey. I don't know whether to applaud or to laugh. The judges do both. So do I.

I love these guys.

Tomorrow we execute two of the hunks, along with two of the girls. So? Who's your best? And worst?



tag: american idol


18 Comments:

Blogger Nelle said...

Just voted for Elliott and Taylor. First week I didn't feel that Chris deserved a vote but I still like him very much.

9:15 PM, March 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's men's night, which means we get treated to another dose of Paula's cleavage.

Taylor is great, but Simon nailed it with the "radio" performance quip. His enthusiasm is compelling, but he needs to settle down and sing. Don't let the spasmatism effect the quality of the performance.

Ace will survive because of his female following, Chris was not quite up to his last two performances but he's safe along with Elliot.

I think Gideon deserves to stay.

The last spot will be up for grabs between Bucky and Will with the other joining Kevin on the way out.

If the contest between Bucky and Will comes down to tonight's performance then, as much as it pains me to say it, Bucky will survive. Will needed a different tune to survive.

9:21 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

LOL Laura. I thought Taylor was the best, maybe because he kept those WHOAs in his pocket. The problem with him is that the mannerisms detract from the performance, but vocally I thought he was excellent. But if you don't tar and feather me for my Kevin love, I won't come after you. :o)

9:25 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

I think Chris, Elliott and Ace were sandbagging tonight. They could have done much, much better, but I think they are saving up for when the real competition starts.

Hey, Jennifer, why don't you "break" something around the house and tell hubby/SO that you need to have Ace over to "fix" it?

9:51 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

South Park meets the Brady Bunch in the security check at LAX Thrusday night. I just don't think Will is going to survive. I have serious doubts about Kevin.
Taylor took no chances of being voted out by taking no prisoners in "Takin' It To The Streets". I was exactly who he is. Joe Cocker's mannerisms distracted a little from his performances but he still filled up stadiums.

9:56 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger Bathroom Hippo said...



Not normally an Elliot fan, but he did quite well (despite what Simon said). I'm a Chris Daughtry fan, but he didn't perform as good as he should have.

My picks for Thursdays kicks:
Kevin Covais
Will Makar
Kinnik Sky
Ayla Brown

10:37 PM, March 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gedeon still did nothing to impress me tonight, I just can't make myself like him.
I thought Chris did a great job on that song, I think I would like anything he sings. I just like his voice, period.
Kevin, I like him :)
Bucky was alright, I didn't really like the song but I think he did a good job with it.
Will, He's got a good voice but was kind of bland tonight, IMO
Taylor ROCKED!!!! I just LOVE him and I don't care how spazoid he looks, he's having a blast! I was too!
Elliot, I've always thought his voice was awesome and I still do!
Ace...I'm sorry, so sorry but that falsetto stuff is getting old..maybe he should join the women. I just do not care for his voice at all.
I have no clue who will be leaving tomorrow, I cannot even venture a guess.

11:26 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

I think hippo has the right picks. They're just the least interesting or worst of the two groups.

11:30 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger Frances said...

Well, if the opinions here are any indication, it's anybody's turn to go home.
By the way, I think Ace was great tonight. His performance didn't live up to 'Father Figure' standards, but he did the song justice. The song is from what I think is Michael Jackson's most recent CD. If nothing else, you've got to give Ace credit for making a Michael Jackson song sexy.

12:46 AM, March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I just don't find anything sexy about a guy who tries to sing higher than I do all the time lol I don't like Ace at all and looks don't make up for lack of talent to me :P

7:57 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Frances said...

Suzanne, I don't think Ace lacks talent. I think he's suffering from "Song Choice Syndrome" like most of the other contestants.
I agree with most of what you said in your previous comment, but I guess we'll disagree about Kevin. Every week he gives my fast-forward button a workout. Watching him causes physical pain.
Isn't American Idol great in that there's something for everyone? ;)

8:48 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Frances, exactly. Ace proved his talent to me the first week with Father Figure. I admit, I expected him to be pretty boy who can't sing, so I was pleasantly surprised. But the last two weeks, his selections have tanked. He can't ride that Father Figure performance forever. He needs some help in the song choice department. I call it playing the game. That's what killed Nadia last year; she refused to play the game.

And that's exactly why I love this show so much. Five people can watch the same performances and come to five different conclusions, which makes for fun and great debate and discussion.

9:02 AM, March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, you had me almost peeing my pants with your analysis of Taylor!! As you know, I want Bucky gone and I want Kevin or Will gone. That "ssstarry sssstarry" night song was PAINFUL! He should have picked a song with lesss sssssss'ssss, don't you think. Okay, go ahead, throw a shoe at me. LOL!
Hugs,
Lisa

10:13 AM, March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, I want Jesus Christ, ummm, I mean Ace's brother to come and do some "work" on my house. Wonder if he is as good with a hammer? Hee-hee-hee!
Hugs,
Lisa

10:14 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Happy Hiker said...

Taylor best performance yet. Elliot has captured my attention, what a great job! Chris not as good as last week, but he's still rocking.

Ace was clearly the worst...horrible and Will, it was a pretty cheesy song to sing. You two need to go.

Kevin ~ I can't get past the nasal, lisp thing when he sings, but he does have a great range.

Bucky, country is clearly his thing, he just needs to try not to put so much rock into it, his softer voice is much better.

Giddeon ~ was better than average, but not the best.

11:47 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Frances said...

Okay, Jennifer and Lisa. If Ace gets booted off, I'm sending for him so he can come and be my handyman. My house doesn't need much work but I'm sure I'll be able to think of something to keep him busy.
And since you two seem to be so wonderful, I'll make sure his brother knows that he is to divide his time between your two homes.

11:48 AM, March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can anyone stand Kevin with the "lithp"?? He needs to go home "thoon." When I watch the snippets at the end while they're showing the call-in numbers, I can't help but laugh at Kevin who is in an entirely other category - that category being 7th grade Battle of the Bands. Ugh, please dear God, send him home.

Bucky and Will can go, too.

Anyway, Gedeon cracks me up. I love Chris, Elliot, and Taylor, no matter what they do. (I do not like Bryan Adams songs, but I'll forgive Elliot b/c he's so talented.)

Can't wait for Stevie Wonder week!

11:51 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

When Elliott started singing, I thought I was in middle school again and started looking for my slow-dance partner

12:16 PM, March 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!