Tuesday, May 02, 2006

where's brenna when we need her?...

For the first time in my watching of this show and reading the pundits about this show, I think this is the first time I can honestly and without reservation say that everybody, e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y, agrees:

This is the finest final five we've ever had the pleasure of watching.

I'm thinkin' they oughta just dump confetti on all of their heads tonight and just call it a season. Give each of them a contract and play out the final weeks as an exhibition, kinda like they do with figure skating at the Olympics once the medals have been handed out.

Yowzer. I had always hoped for a scenerio like this, where talent runs so deep that there really are no losers among the winners, but you know, they always say be careful what you wish for.

Cause I don't think they're gonna listen to me and hand out five gold medals, so push has come to shove, and we have to find somebody to execute.

Damn, I miss Pickler.

Two songs tonight, one from the year of the contestant's birth and the other picked from today's Billboard charts. Presuming they all swim and nobody sinks, the only basis on which to predict tomorrow's dead Idol walking is to examine past voting trends and speculate on whom the Pickler People are going to go for and who the new viewers, now with two phone lines each to burn, will favor.

The consensus seems to be that Paris will sing her final competitive solo tonight. This seems the most plausible, as she seems to have found herself in the bottom trio/duo most consistently over the past few outings, still managing, like Houdini (or Scott Savol, if you recall the same analogy last season) to escape every single time. But like Savol, those miracle saves must have an ending, and of the five remaining kids, she's the one least likely to me to make it to the Clive Davis show. So Paris in the bottom two is a definite.

But who will join her? The obvious choice would be Elliott Yamin, who, like Paris, has had extensive visits to the seal this season, in comparison with the others. But while we watched Pickler's star fall dramatically, at the same time, we've witnessed Elliott's star on the rise. It's a known phenomenon that sometimes it takes a week to see the full impact of a stellar/crappy performance. (This is when I would kill to have a vote placement, as opposed to that vague "top two," "middle two," "bottom two" vote getters crumb they threw us last week.)

And then there's Taylor, who, after being the only one of the five to never have left the sofa, found himself in the middle vote getter group along with Elliott. Granted, Taylor did have a mediocre performance, and those of us hardcore, internet-reading fans know that Taylor's original song choice got deep-sixed one day before performance night, and with that knowledge it's easy to recognize he was not overjoyed about it, in the way we have come to know Taylor when he's filled to the brim with joy. New viewers just getting their introduction to the Soul Man quite possibly have been thoroughly underwhelmed with Taylor last week, after possibly hearing what a unique performer he is. They're left scratching their heads wondering where the wooo was that they've heard so much about.

Because I believe that Katharine will pick up a bulk of Pickler votes, and Chris continues on his comeback, these two will probably be safe, unless their fans get too cocky with the memory of them hugging on the stage after being told they were 1/2 in the polling.

I am holding onto the expectation of a shocker fourth-place finish like Tamyra (season one) and LaToya (season three), because it seems to be an every-other-year thing (and you know how I am about the trends - the trends must continue!), I think this week we may see a surprise in the bottom but no real shock at the end.

Song unsung, presuming good songs and good performances and, of course, barring any unexpected clunkers of Pickler proportions, I am going out on a limb. Paris and Taylor will be bottom two. And Paris fans will be looking for a new number to dial.

So that's my pre-race analysis. What's yours?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I think Taylor is unique, I really think Paris is the better performer. I think people don't like her because she has a famous family that could help her if all else fails. Your right about this being the best finals so far. I'm just afraid Elliot is going to go to soon. Loooove Elliot, the others are going to go places whether they win or not. Love this blog, I check everyday to see if anything is new. Hate to see it end.

9:43 AM, May 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SO look forward to your writing!

Not that I frequent the spot - but Votefortheworst is recommending that votes this week should be placed for Taylor! What do you make of that???

10:56 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Thanks for the nice words! ;o)

Actually I love VFTW. They take the show with the fun it should be taken with, and the people over there are funny, smart and intuitive.

I totally agree with choosing Taylor (even though Elliott could have used the votes...) because their objective is to mess with TPTB, and I think it's pretty clear that Taylor is not the one they want, so, in the absence of a true "worst", Taylor is the best choice.

Soul Patrol! Whoo!

11:02 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

For the first time, I can honestly say I'm happy with the final 5. America got this one right. It's becoming more and more difficult to predict the bottom 2. Paris' luck will likely run out soon, but who will join her on the Seal of Doom?

Chris & Katharine seem to have solid fanbases, Elliott's getting better by the week, and Taylor is the only one who hasn't seen the bottom 3 or 2 yet, which should also say something for HIS fanbase. It's hard to predict, but my guess is that Paris will go home tonight. (Okay, so I said that last week, but only because I was too afraid to hope that Pickler would get the axe.)

Tonight has the potential to be an interesting show, and I hope it lives up to my expectations. I can't wait til 8:00!

11:39 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger MP said...

Wow..we're down to the nitty gritty now. I honestly think Paris should go, if not her Elliot. The shocker would be a bye bye to Chris or Taylor. I really hope Paris tried to do Madonna or Cyndi Lauper and bombs. We shall see, approx 8 hours til showtime.

11:41 AM, May 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my dreams Katherine would get the boot. But that won't happen I'm sure. I think Paris or Elliott will be in trouble. -Jenna

11:47 AM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

I would LOVE to see an all-male final 3. If that did happen, I wouldn't care who won. I like all of the remaining men. Even if that doesn't happen, though, I still think a man will win this year. I could be wrong, though.

1:02 PM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

Paris has no shot at beating any of the guys. I think Katharine will make the final 3.

After this week, she will have consolidated all of the "girl-power" votes.

Assuming that Paris will get whacked this week, I think that leaves Elliott as the odd man out.

Chris is The Chosen One for this year. Taylor has a huge following, even if he is a record exec's worst marketing nightmare. Unless TPTB absolutely crap all over Taylor by picking themes he just can't handle and reject all of his #1 song choices out of spite, I think he'll advance easily to the top 3.

Elliott has had the hardest road of the remaining 5 contestants because he's got an image problem and he doesn't inspire the masses, although his stock has been rising of late.

Like Jennifer, this top 5 is easily the best that American Idol has ever had. There isn't one among whem who, if they won, would cause a riot (imagine what would have happened if Scott or Anthony had won; the streets would have run red with blood). It's kind of a shame that they can't eliminate Paris and then either declare the whole thing a tie or have the top 4 form a super group.

3:14 PM, May 02, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

You sound like me, Laura, even though I always get crucified. I still think S2 was the greatest season of Idol. But Josh should never have made F4. Trenyce was definitely screwed that year.

4:43 PM, May 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree.

~V~

7:33 PM, May 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!