Tuesday, February 17, 2009

it's LIVE tonight...

It's the first live episode of the eighth season, and I'm really trying to summon up some enthusiasm for what's to come. I don't know why I'm rather ambivalent about this year, but I was ho-humming around this time last season and it ended as one of my favorite years. Here's hoping the same will be true this time around.

Twelve of the kids will take the stage tonight, six guys and six women. Then we vote. Tomorrow night at 8 p.m., three of them will advance to the big stage: the top vote getter and the top voted guy and the top voted gal.

Competing in round one are Alexis Grace, Ann Marie Boskovich, Anoop Desai, Brent Keith, Casey Carlson, Danny Gokey, Jackie Tohn, Michael Sarver, Ricky Braddy, Stephan Fowler, Stevie Wright and the ubiquitous Tatiana Del Toro. (Gosh, trying to remember 36 names is a tall order...) If you're having the same issues placing faces with names with voices, here's a link to their bios.

As they did last year, all of the songs will be available for purchase on iTunes. If you care to purchase, clicking through the link on my sidebar earns me a whole nickel for each one you buy. (Hey, times are tough. I'd rent the pup out to stud if he weren't, uh, altered. I may do it anyway.)

Reports are that Michael Johns and Carly Smithson will team up for a duet tomorrow night. One presumes that will be before nine people watch their dreams of superstardom smashed in front of millions. Or not.

I plan to post my views and reviews tomorrow. Don't forget to click over to Dave's to see who he loves and loathes. (Well, we're hoping for no cable or other outages for Dave this week anyway.) Eat up the comment section to post your thoughts or leave them in the shoutbox.

Are you ready?


Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simon was right on the money about Jackie Tohn - that was horrible!!! Her singing was all right, but her outfit was hard to look at and she was spastic. I couldn't wait for it to end! I'm really surprised, I thought she'd be better than that.

8:12 PM, February 17, 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

Going first won't help her, either.

8:13 PM, February 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, what a disappointing night! The top three singers were Ricky Braddy (got goosebumps), Alexis Grace and Danny Gokey. Surprisingly, I'd have to say Tatiana did fourth best. Ack!

10:05 PM, February 17, 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

My Big Three tonight were:

Alexis
Ann Marie
Anoop

Sadly, I think Tatiana will advance to the Top 12 without needing a Wild Card.

10:14 PM, February 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really not getting into this season at all.
Really dull performers INCLUDING TCO Danny Gokey.
I was glad to hear Simon say that he wasn't getting all the hype about him, and neither am I.

10:14 PM, February 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying for 45 mins to get through to vote for Gokey and it's been busy. I think he is going to win this year though. Here's hoping! Tonight pretty much sucked though and please make Tatiana go away.

10:50 PM, February 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...what a disappointing night! Jackie Tohn is one of my faves and she picked the WRONG song to sing (and did some weird stuff to it).

Anyway, I thought the top 3 for the night were Ricky Braddy, Alexis Grace, and Danny Gokey. And I hate to admit it but Tatiana deserves honorable mention. I've always thought she has a decent voice, but her personality just gets in the way. She was so subdued tonight. Maybe she doubled up on her Depakote?

See you tomorrow night!

6:12 AM, February 18, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello anew everybody.

yeah, last night was odd. After the first 3 or 4 singers I told the wife, this is odd, I can't think of a show at this stage that the singers were doing so well. I must have jinxed it. Because then came the train wrecks. Yikes.

Danny did very well, just as expected and Tatiana had me as flabbergasted as the judges. how much vallium did they give that girl anyway?!! it was odd not seeing her all giggly, and as disturbing as that was, I'm very happy to not hear that cackling laugh again :)

Alexis was very good, I'm looking for big things from her. Overall, I think the night was a let down because so many who'd looked so good during auditions were "that" bad. And man, did Simon's mantra bare true last night, Song Choice Song Choice Song Choice. that was so evident.

JJ

7:58 AM, February 18, 2009  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

Last night was a prime example of why song choice is so important. Some of the contestants had good voices, but the songs they chose didn't showcase that (or else they sang the songs badly). Alexis, Anoop, and Danny were my favorites of the night. They were the only ones who really stood out to me.

As badly as I hate to admit it, Giggles (er, Tatiana) sang well, too. Had I not seen footage of her before, I'd have never known it was the same girl. It was odd seeing her so subdued, but in a way it was refreshing too.

9:08 AM, February 18, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danny Gokey, Alexis Grace should be in the top two tonight. I also thought Ann Marie did well and don't get what the judges were talking about. I'm not a fan of Ricky Braddy's style of singing but have to admit he's a very good singer. I like Brent Keith well enough but he definitely has an attitude problem... he look really pissed when he got back to the couch. Anoop and Michael were pretty good but alas, not good enough to progress. I was not surprised that Jackie Tohn didn't do well. I've not been impressed with her since day one. I was horrified at Casey Carlson's choice.. what was she thinking and same goes for Stevie and Stephen Fowler. I just can't imagine why they chose the songs they did. I was hoping they'd both do well but no dice. I said to my husband before Tatiana got up that she'd probably nail it.. maybe she didn't nail it but she did better than everyone expected.
I must check in with Dial Idol and see what's up!
Looking forward to hearing Michael Johns and Carly tonight. Two of my favorites from last season.

9:18 AM, February 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!