Wednesday, March 19, 2008

you say goodbye: a SIMULBLOG!...

After tonight we'll be down to the touring ten, because someone is going to have to listen to Ruben Studdard as they wave goodbye to the mosh pit.

And we all have to listen to Kellie Pickler.

Because THIS is American Idol.

And this is a SIMULBLOG, which means I'm typing as the action is happening on the east coast with a publish at each significant break, so if you want to know before the show airs in your area, stick around and speculate with us. If you want to remain pure and chaste, well, scat. But come back later and dish with the rest of us.

Because the show is about to start!

_______

Ryan starts the show with the announcement of this season's mentors: Dolly Parton, Mariah Carey, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Neil Diamond. He is sure to mention that each of them are composers, which leads into yet another contest to write this year's crappy coronation song.

It's another Beatles medley GROUP SING!! Not horrible, as group sings go. A little sleepy, but that would be appropriate considering the night before. And Chicken Little with (I think) Jon Peter Lewis are in the audience. Old home week. Kinda.

We get the retrospective from the evening prior. They bring out the stainless stools - three of them.

Brooke White is called to the stage and made to look at the yellow dress. She is reminded of her reviews. She celebrates being told she is in the top ten.

Carly Smithson has sleeves. She's reminded of her reviews and is sent to the bad stools. Carly in the bottom? Wow. Quelle surprise!

David Archuleta walks onstage amid screams. Ryan doesn't even waste time. He sends David to the sofa, and to the summer tour.

Michael Johns says he's a little worried. He defends his song choice. And he's sent to sit with Brooke and Archuleta.

And he sends us to commercial.

_______

We are back and being given a behind-the-scenes tour of the crappy Ford commercial. And then the crappy commercial.

Back to the results.

David Cook is called to center stage. He's reminded that Simon called him smug. And he's sent to the sofa.

Kristy Lee Cook is introduced. She says she thinks last night was her strongest performance. And she's told, once again, that she's landed in the bottom. She gets big hugs from Carly.

Jason Castro is reminded of what he sang. And he's informed that he's going on tour.

Ramiele Malubay is really, really short. And she's in the top ten.

Break time!
_______

[Random thought: That Cottonelle puppy is too adorable.]

Phone calls...phone calls...phone calls. Idiot on line three... phone calls...

Time for Pickler. And I still laughed at the lobster scene from Puck & Pickler. Good times. As I'm watching her back on the big stage, it suddenly strikes me as comedic that the third, fourth, sixth and eighth place finishers are all more successful than one and two from season five. Let's hope they all make an appearance this year. (Kim Locke from season two is on tap for next week.)
_______

We begin the promotion for Idol Gives Back with a video of Fantasia and Elliott Yamin's visit to Angola. Fantasia sings and Elliott gets a baby named after him. And he cries. I love him. It's a touching video.

Syesha Mercado is called to the stage. She's reminded what she sang. And she's sent to the top ten group.

Amanda Overmyer and Chikezie are called in together. Chikezie is told he's safe, and he hugs Amanda as he heads to join the touring good people.

The three girls stand on stage and are forced to wait through one more commercial break.

Back at center stage, Carly's told she's safe. Kristy is then told she's dodged yet another bullet, and Amanda gets to watch her funeral footage. And sing her last song.

So long Amanda. You were definitely unique.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww. Amanda took it well. I think her appearance on AI will kick off a reasonably good career for her.

Kristi is definitely the Haley Scarnato of Season 7.

Michael Johns' surprise and thankfulness was endearing, didncha think?

final thought: Pickler did quite well. And she got kicked at about 6th place, didn't she? Just goes to show, you don't have to win this thing to make something of yourself in the music biz...

10:07 PM, March 19, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

Clay set the precedent of an also-ran who did better than the winner. It wouldn't surprise me if someone who finishes other than first this year does better than the last one standing.

10:10 PM, March 19, 2008  
Blogger Sunshine said...

I honestly think that the winner each year is the one [poop] out of luck. Besides Kelly and Carrie (whom I think were different cases, Kelly being the first winner and Carrie being a country singer), the non-winners really made better careers for themselves.

And yes, that was JPL in the audience. I read Laura's interview with him which was really good, as is his new single. Everyone should download it. It's called "Break the Silence".

I only watched last night's show just before tonight's so it was still fresh in my head. I thought Kristy did better than Amanda, and I'm thankful that Amanda's out. I would rather sit through another week of lousy performances with okay singing, than horrible performances with DREADFUL singing. I can guarantee that Kristy is VFTW's new poster child, though.

Overall, last night wasn't that bad, but it was worse than last week. And I'm really sick of the judges putting down Michael Johns cos I really think he does well every week. (Kind of like Constantine, who I miss dearly.)

So, what's the theme next week? I don't recall it being mentioned. Can Ryan's announcement of Dolly being the first mentor help us to assume that next week is Country week? Or, with the rumors of Kim Locke showing up, could it be something different? If anyone knows, spill your guts!

10:40 PM, March 19, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought of you when Elliott was on screen! It was great to see him. I cried too! He is still my ringtone.

I think Kristy was truly upset when Amanda went home instead of her. She more lives then any previous contestant!

Thanks for adding my blog to your page!! I'm so excited! I feel like I made the big time!!

10:45 PM, March 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad Amanda's out! Next week it will be Kristy, unless she's REALLY GREAT.

I was surprised when Ryan called Carly. Didn't see that coming, but I have to say I did hate the song.

Amanda's leaving just may save my diet. I have no excuse to eat now. lol

Dori

12:11 AM, March 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pick Pickler.

1:02 AM, March 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carly was a huge surprise! But I think they all need to experience the bottom 3 once in a while just to keep them humble and peeweezlin' in their pants. That guarantees a better performance the following week. Or a trip home. Either way, it's a good thing.

Kristy is a better fit for the top 10 touring group. Her voice blends better than does Amanda's. But I still think Amanda was the better performer...by FAR! But I'm not sad to see her go. She's just another casualty of the David Train. (You decide if it's the A-Train or the C-Train.)

I think the phone calls are a waste of time.

I think Simon has an ego bigger than his $999,999 car.

I think Paula was flying one of those alien saucers.

I think Pickler wore a better dress this time around.

I think Elliot Yamin is adorable.

I think winners don't do as well because they don't get to choose what they sing on their cd's.

AND...

I think this blog is a hoot!

4:18 AM, March 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you catch Ryan's straight-faced comment on how much Kellie Pickler has "grown in many ways"? LOL.

6:38 AM, March 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not really surprised that Carly was in the bottom three. My husband reminded me last night that I had said something along those lines on Tue night. My take is people were voting for their faves as in: the Davids, Jason and Michael. Chik and KL have their own following as do Rami and Syesha but Carly kind of slips through the cracks as far as a fan base goes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she were the first "shocker elimination". I used to think she was a little "hard" but seeing her face crumple last night when her roomie Amanda was sent home changed my mind a little on that score.
If next week is "country" it's KL's big chance to redeem herself.
I agree that Amanda just wasn't a good fit for this group and it's ok that she's gone. (They really had to work to fit her into the group song whereas all the others blended quite nicely)
Now down to the serious business.
I generally wait until the top ten to start voting! Time to get the dialing fingers exercised!
Jennifer, thank you for this blog. I know you're not ultimately responsible for who posts what but just about everyone who posts here regularly seem to be intelligent, thoughtful and funny. I love it.

9:47 AM, March 20, 2008  
Blogger Kat said...

Thank gawd that Amanda is gone.. it was painful to watch her at times.. I think that she will benifit from her exposure on AI and maybe she's glad to be gone as well.. I thought that the Tuesday night performances were terrible all the way around.. The only one who I think has some wow factor is David A and I think even he has fallen back a step or two.. I think that maybe the "best group ever" promos from the judges is putting too much pressure on the performers when it's already a pressure cooker on the show.. I also was not impressed with the contestants talking back to the judges.. what's with that.. It was great seeing Kelly Pickler again and be reminded that some of the contestants came from humble beginnings.. I think that is what is missing from this year's contestants.. they seem to be has beens before they even started.. Kathryn

9:59 AM, March 20, 2008  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

Kristy Lee Cook is definitely living on borrowed time. Kristy’s only hope of staying another few weeks is getting the raging hormones of the teen guys, college guys, and lecherous old men to start voting. The only way to do that is to learn from the Haley Scarnato performances. Wear shorts, short shorts. You’ve got legs girl, now is the time to use them. I mean, Seysha rolled out her big guns Tuesday night and she’s still here. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to stay in this thing as long as possible. The longer you’re on the show, the more connections you make, the better chance you have of a successful career in show business.

12:10 PM, March 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly Pickle's singing was a perfect time to take a bathroom break. Delighted that Amanda bit the dust, though she was my getting tea break. Kristy will suffice, for the time being.

11:13 PM, March 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. When I wrote (re: Amanda), "I'm not sad to see her go," I meant that I think she'll be just fine. Better that she go now (knowing she wouldn't have won) before I develop a girl-crush on her and get really upset when she gets cut further down the line.

I will miss her, however. She was a fun distraction, to be sure.

1:37 AM, March 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very sad to see Amanda go home. Understand that I am not belaboring under some misconception that she would "win" or that she was the "best singer", but I looked forward to her performances just the same. I hope she continues to enjoy what she does and hope we hear more about her!
That said, I would REALLY like to see David Cook (who I didn't originally like at all!), win. He's definitely improved his preformances and he just gives me that same "wow" feeling I got when watching Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. Mind you, I am NOT saying his vocals are on the same par, but I get that same feeling on the back of my neck.
And, aside from the ridiculous bluegrass thing he's been doing with his Beatles songs, I think Chikeze has shown some great improvement, too! I thought he'd be one of the 1st gone, but he's impressed me with his versatility..
Kristy Lee needs to go- the Haley references made above are priceless! She is indeed this year's Haley and I think she even knows it, judging from the look on her face when Amanda was sent packing!
I also really like Jason Castro a lot, but I don't think his voice is in the same league with most of the others...

2:57 PM, March 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!