Friday, February 02, 2007

birmingham & LA: you belong to me...

Two memories immediately come to mind from the third week of the AI auditions. I will never forget Sherman Pore, and I plan to see a lot more of Chris Sligh.

Tuesday's Birmingham audition episode, the home of Idol winners Taylor Hicks and Ruben Studdard and season four runner-up Bo Bice, was, as I expected, worth the effort to watch. Well, most of it anyway.

There was Katie Bernard, the newlywed, whose husband pleaded for the judges to send her away to Hollywood. Honeymoon's over. She goes, but hubby, she won't be there for very long. And, of course, there was Jamie Lynn Ward, whose backstory makes last year's Pickler tale seem like a nursery rhyme. I never did get that one straight. But I'm doubting we'll get any spinach salad and calamari from her anyway, so I'm not going through the effort of trying to memorize the tale.

Bernard Williams, on the other hand, has the potential to withstand the first few Hollywood rounds, to at least sit through the terror of the top 24 show.

But my picks from Birmingham? Tatiana McConnico, who I expect to hear in the first round of the semi-finals, which, thankfully, begin on Feb. 20. And Feb. 20 is the first night I'll be able to cast a vote. And that vote will go for Chris Sligh, I am certain. I would vote for this boy based on the dry humor alone. (The David Hasselhoff reference almost sent me off my chair.) He may not have the "look" of an American Idol, but how many of our memorable Idols came through the audition round without "the look" but carved their way into our hearts nonetheless. Sligh's gonna do that, I just know it. And here I didn't think I would pick a horse this year.

Wednesday's LA episode was a last-minute switch in schedule, apparently. (San Antonio will wrap things up Tuesday night, followed by a worst of the best of the worst episode that I will willingly skip to go to sleep.)

The producers decided to shield us from most of the best of Los Angeles, letting us peek in on Alaina Alexander's audition. (My advice to Alaina: go to school!) We were able to revisit with Brian Miller, another one of last year's Hollywood round rejects, who, as Simon said, was memorable enough to forget. And I was sighing along with Paula and guest critic Olivia Newton John after Brandon Rogers' take on You Were Always on My Mind. Mark that one down as a surefire semi-finalist.

But the episode belonged to 64-year-old Sherman Pore, who, in tribute to his wife who had lost her battle with cancer two days before, let us listen to his serenade to her: a beautiful and touching rendition of You Belong to Me that left Paula in tears. Me too. Sherman, start another petition. I want you to perform on the finale.

Oh heck. Maybe I can start the petition.

Next week: San Antonio. And filler.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Jennifer!!!!!! I'm so happy this blog is started back up. =)

I'm glad you said Feb 20th is when we will start the vote cos that's when I will start watching. I just can't handle watching all the stinky singers, I'm tired of hearing them squeak and beg and fight with the judges.

Actually, when do the Hollywood episodes begin??? At least they've cut out the COMPLETELY terrible people by then...

I'll be sure to keep my eye on Sligh, I always thought your picks were great last year!!

WELCOME BACK!!

3:21 PM, February 02, 2007  
Blogger jennifer said...

The Hollywood episodes air the week after next. San Antonio is Tuesday; the worst of the best of the worst will be Wednesday and the next week - YAY! I love the Hollywood episodes!

3:27 PM, February 02, 2007  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

I cried during the Sherman Pore segment, too. As a matter of fact, I watched the episode again later, and I cried the second time around, too. I would love to see this man on the finale, or, as my stepdad suggested, I wish they'd let him help out with this season in some way. What a sweet man.

I absolutely loved the Chris Sligh segment. The David Hasselhoff reference alone endeared him to me. This guy is funny--and he's got talent. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 12.

11:18 AM, February 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didja know that Chris Sligh posted on your blog in Sept?


http://americanidolmusing.blogspot.com/

6:57 PM, February 03, 2007  
Blogger jennifer said...

I had forgotten about that comment until you reminded me. I remember now. I LOVE that guy. I hope he makes a return visit!

7:10 PM, February 03, 2007  
Blogger Dave said...

Did you guys see Sherman on Larry King the next night?

He was good then, too. And he made Kelly Pickler cry.

9:44 PM, February 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sherman was also on Entertainment Tonight or one of those shows. I think it would be great if he were on the finale, too.

~betsy

8:12 PM, February 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a petition I started right after the episode aired. You can find it by typing in SHERMAN PORE PETITION in your yahoo or google search engine. Please sign it. I am trying to get as many signatures as I can before I forward it to the American Idol producers. Thanks for your support!

4:06 AM, February 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!