Monday, January 29, 2007

NYC: you don't have to sing...

After battling cable issues that "forced" me to miss most of day (hour) one of the the New York City audition episode, I was spared most of the really awful stuff, and got to see some hopefuls from the city that sent 35 to Hollywood.

What did I learn? I learned that you don't have to sing to be an American Idol. Thanks Sarah Goldberg, but I knew that already. I've been watching since day one. I remember Janay.

In other news from day two (and I hope we've seen the absolute end of the two-hour audition episodes, because they're bordering on cruel and unusual punishment), my early favorite is a returnee from last year. I think I am [heart]ing Nicholas Pedro, who jumped ship during last season's Hollywood round when he couldn't deal with the tradition of forgotten lyrics, but dazzled me with his Fly Me to the Moon. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and will survive this year's group round, because I want to hear more. Lots more.

And I can bear to look more at Jenry Bejarano, whose not only got a great family story to tell, but is, in Paula's words, easy on the eyes with a voice to boot. I can deal with that.

Christopher Richardson is another story, though. Paula predicts the girls will love him. I predict a hot tub scene or two but, after being compared to Justin Guarini Timberlake but performing A Song for You, if the boy makes it to the semi-finals and tries Moody's Mood for Love, I will call foul. Loudly.

My money's on Jory Steinberg to make it to the top 24. She's pretty, she sings and Simon seems to be impressed.

The judges seemed less impressed with Rachel Zevita and her various singing personae. One minute she's a growling rocker before morphing into a balladeer and finally Beverly Sills. Actually I hope she doesn't get kicked out of opera school, because I think she may be back at class, especially if she can't settle on one personality and reign in that defensive attitude. I don't like her.

And while I wasn't able to catch all of day one, I did get lucky enough to see Sarah Burgess and her tearful call to daddy. Honey, reality television is not going to patch up family wounds, but dry your tears already. And I did get to see BFF's Amanda and Antonella. Oh, how I'm looking forward to the cat fights during Hollywood, featuring these two.

And would somebody get Ashanti Johnson a casting agent? She's a natural for "So You Want to be a Soap Star."

I'm not even bringing up the superfluous Carole Bayer Sager, because I've ranted enough about guest judges. But hey. Paula was on her best behavior, so that's a good thing. Right?

Next stop: one hour (YAY!!!) from Birmingham, where Idols are born and bred. This one may actually be worth the time.





13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that Christopher Richardson was actually compared to Justin Timberlake, not Guarini because I'm pretty sure Randy said so. But I could be wrong!

6:35 PM, January 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, you were right, anonymous poster. I could have sworn he said Justin Timberlake. Although I like Christopher, I agree with Jen giving him the big thumbs down if he tries to go all Yaminian on us. There's only one Elliot, and I love that guy!

BTW, McPhee has a new album out and it's great!

7:01 PM, January 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought they said Justin Timberlake too. I hope Christopher isn't anything like him. Can't stand him!!! Never could understand why he is so popular. dk / Dori

7:23 PM, January 29, 2007  
Blogger jennifer said...

Oh, you're all right. I watched it again. All I heard was Justin. And, well, I don't think much of any other Justin, so...

My bad. But you're right about Elliott. He better not EVEN go there.

7:31 PM, January 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer your puppy is so cute! dk / Dori

7:51 PM, January 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so upset that none of the judges said anything to him about singing an Elliott song.

Jennifer your comments from this past week are right on. However, I am kinda intrique to see what happens to Rachel Zevita.

I too think Sundance, Jory, Antonella and the last girl from the end of the first hour of the last night, last week. What was her name..She sang Aretha...oh boy and that crazy girl - who said she knew she couldn't sing but wanted to be the next American Idol anyway was out of her mind. Hello! I was crying laughing.

I have to admit I have felt saddened and sometime repulsed by the melodrama that goes on in that room and I feel bad for the judges.

Did anyone notice Paula hurt her finger while dancing in her seat and then another night watch her get pen on her finger and proceed to lick it off right in front of the camera. She is out of her mind this season but I love her.

8:18 PM, January 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These two best friends-Amanda Coluccio and Antonella Barba--that critics refer to as "rocket scientists" have had the last laugh on everyone. The girls put together a very well planed and orchestrated theme "best friends forever"-that attracted 40 million viewers to not only watch them on January 24th, but post the most blogs in the history of American Idol the next day. You should have 1% of their PR smarts. Amanda and Antonella taught the producers of American Idol how to get ratings. Not bad for a couple of Jersey girls.And they can sing.

10:50 PM, January 29, 2007  
Blogger jennifer said...

I don't doubt it about the BFFs. That's why I expect to see extended coverage of them during Hollywood. It's all about being memorable at this stage, whether you can sing or not.

6:01 AM, January 30, 2007  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

The BFFs will be interesting to follow. I wonder how this will affect their friendship? After all, fame and competition do funny things to people. I wouldn't want to compete with my best friends in something like this. But maybe that's just me.

On a different subject, I'm actually looking forward to the Birmingham auditions. They'll be a breath of fresh air. After all, Birmingham brought us Ruben, Bo, and Taylor. We may see some notable talent tonight. At least I hope so.

11:27 AM, January 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if Amanda and Antonella have a pre-planned "I hate you" "No, I hate you!!", "Don't ever speak to me again, hussy!", "Oh, I love you, why do we have to fight?" meltdown-and-make-up scheduled for some late-night hot tub "excursion" just to stay on TV a little longer and to cover up the fact that while they're above average singers, they're still not better than Kimberly Caldwell and neither one will last much longer than week 5 (assuming they get through the rounds of 24).

7:17 AM, January 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember ONE person so far that is worth remembering at this point. I can't way for Hollywood week either and the awful trios. ;)
Hugs to you,
Lisa

8:12 AM, February 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm, that would be "wait" not "way" for Hollywood week. Sorry, it's early! LOL!

8:13 AM, February 02, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh...that was Carol Bayer Sager?! I thought it was Joan Collins. Take note, all you afraid to grow old gracefully: this is what you can expect to look like on lots of cosmetic surgery and botox.

P.S. Great to get back into the swing of it Jennifer! I love your blog. (But I'm gonna have to come up with a new nickname for this season!)

7:14 AM, February 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!