Friday, January 19, 2007

sleep over seattle...

Amid the mess that we are being handed as the sixth season of Idol gets underway, I need to remember why I like this show so much. Aside from the brother and sister duo from Seattle, nothing from that episode was worthy of much discussion.

The manufactured drama is old. It's tired. We've been there and we've done that. And if Idol producers are pandering to a new audience who might still think it's genuine, fine. I've never liked the audition episodes. (In fact, it took me several weeks to even begin watching season one because the promos led me to believe that the series was a 21st century version of The Gong Show.) But I've tolerated them because, well, occasionally we spot a diamond amid the mud. And, while the humiliation of these people was uncomfortable at times, I would always remind myself that they chose to try out and, after season one, they should have known the consequences. But there's just something about the Seattle show that reminded me of those old Circus freak shows. And all the rationalizing in the world can't make me feel clean.

Maybe I'm getting old. Or just impatient for the real show to start. But for the first time in six seasons, I turned off an episode of American Idol and went to bed. It wasn't worth losing sleep for.

So I've been immersing myself in the good stuff. And Michael Slezak helped. A ton. Check out his list of the
top 10 Idol performances ever. I might argue #9, but other than that, he's right on the money. And best yet, he's got the link to each performance. Cleanse yourself!

I'll be back after a well-needed Idol break. (Oh. And go BEARS!)



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, Thanks for the top 10 performances, I love it!
This past week was pretty sad and your right about it looking like the gong show. How long ago was that, seems like 100 years ago?
I don't like it when Simon or the other two get mean and nasty, but its been like that since the beginning of the show. Its just that now they are "really" playing it up and thats all we are seeing.
Even though I feel bad for these kid, no one force them to go there. I think 90% of them just want their 5 minutes of fame, but there's the other 10% that does not have a clue as to what they are getting into, and that's painful and sad to watch.
I can't wait for the real show to start. They could of used this time to bring in some of the past Idols and have a real show.
I'm not giving up on Idol yet. dk/Dori

4:07 PM, January 19, 2007  
Blogger Nelle said...

While I agree that the average person watching does know what they are getting into, I sensed that the guy that Rosie got so upset over might not be your average person. Still,one would hope that friends or parents might explain this to someone who did not understand. The past two shows were anything but entertaining with the few exceptions. I could do without the auditions though.

7:48 AM, January 20, 2007  
Anonymous spaceytracy said...

Well if we are to believe what they said about Seattle, they only took 7 people on to Hollywood. Sounds to me maybe they showed so many bad ones because there weren't many good ones. I think they left out all the mediocre ones. I think most all of the contestants know what they are getting into and just want a chance to be on tv or meet the judges. The main thing I have a problem with is making fun of someone's physical features or people that obviously have some mental impairments. Otherwise, if you go try out you should know you are going to be fair game, and that is part of the schtick of the show. I mean if you are going to go in there with pink stockings on your arms and legs, you damn well better be able to sing like freakin' Mariah Carey or Beyonce or you are going to get torn up.

12:43 PM, January 20, 2007  
Blogger Vivian said...

I just hope they start making wearing a bra a requirement unless you've got a set that's perky and stays put! That woman with the bleached blond hair, the ultra red lipstick which was badly applied and the sagging boobs was disgusting.....I'm surprised they didn't rip her more than they did....well they did covertly rip her and her mother, but they didn't verbally attack her....maybe they were shocked and just couldn't find the words!
WHAT WAS SHE THINKING? EW!

8:54 AM, January 23, 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!