Tuesday, January 16, 2007

season six premieres!...

With the premiere just hours away, I can't help but wonder if this season will be equal, worse or better than the one that preceded it.

It seems every season begins for me with a fear that I won't possibly enjoy it more than the last. (Except, of course, for season four which I knew I would prefer, because while season three was entertaining to a degree, it wasn't exactly packed with talent. Speaking of which, bigtime congrats go to Jennifer Hudson!)

I think season two remains my favorite, but just by a hair over season one. In the first two years, the show was still unpredictable, the kids were still in the mansion and Paula hadn't completely melted down. Season three was a letdown for me, as only half of the final 12 had any real talent. I mean, come on, John Stevens outlasting Jennifer Hudson? Jasmine Trias in the final three?

I enjoyed the cast of season four, even though it was clear early on that it was to become the Bo and Carrie show. What I loved about last year was the absence of any clear frontrunner and the emergence and transformation of Elliott Yamin, the longest of shots, who remains my favorite Idol contestant.

Will I enjoy this season? Time will definitely tell, but I won't enjoy the first few weeks. I never do. For me the season doesn't begin until Hollywood week and that always-enjoyable top 24 "walk of death" episode. I will write about the auditions, as excrutiatingly painful as they are to watch, but there won't be any live blogging until the show is as live as the blog is. And as characters emerge and stories begin to be told and we can see who's this year's Pickler and who's this year's anointed one, I'll find myself being sucked into the AI machine again, setting myself up for all kinds of angst as the ones I don't like will keep on keeping on and the ones I adore find themselves having a "Bad Day."

But from what I'm reading, there's a good chance that this year they'll be heading "Home," courtesy of Chris Daughtry.

Because THIS is American Idol.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Hey, Jennifer!

Getting ready for another ride on the AI rollercoaster, I see. I'm along for the ride, too,

Like you, I can't stand the audition shows. I know some people enjoy them for the trainwrecks, but I much prefer the real singing (without the William Hungs of the world and the manufactured drama of Hollywood).

I certainly hope this year is one of the good years.

7:31 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, I hope they retire that stupid "Bad Day" song this season!!! I watched the auditions tonight, but I didn't want to. Just sucked me in though. Nothing exciting yet. Come on March already!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you can remember so much from seasons past though! They all go POOF right out of my head about 2 weeks after it's done.
Hugs,
Lisa

11:01 PM, January 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too dread the beginning weeks. I do love the funny people, like last years Crazy Dave, but it is painful to watch those mini soap opera lead in's about peoples lives, all the while thinking they are going to be great and then they suck. It's like, why are you bothering me with this crap, move on, get out..buh bye...

Let the games begin. Thanks Jennifer for coming back. It was so much fun last season. And let the record show that Elliot was my favorite too. I can't wait to see his new teeth. :)

11:23 PM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

Was it me, or were the auditioners even more tone deaf than usual? The Cowardly Lion girl, the girl whose boss flew here there, the guy who claimed to be a vocal coach...Yeouch. Don't get me wrong: to a degree, the auditions are entertaining. After awhile, though, you wear out the "mute" button on the TV remote.

And I agree, gavintiegirl, about the "soap opera" lead-ins. They do make you want to root for these people--which is exactly what the producers want. Unfortunately, many of the "soap opera" cases also can't sing a note on key. *sigh*

That aside, I'm looking forward to seeing what this season will hold. Bring on the top 24!

11:22 AM, January 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!