Wednesday, May 03, 2006

happy birthday, now leave: a simulblog...

It's Wednesday which means one thing: someone must die. And we get to watch it happen! Tonight they're promising a crappy group sing, a crappy Ford commercial, lots of crappy banter to fill time and a flashback to yesteryear, uh, I mean day, all so that we can have 22 minutes of commercials and the executed one gets no more than 30 seconds of funeral time before the credits roll.

Because THIS is American Idol.

And this is another simulblog, written as it unfolds with publishing at significant breaks in the action, so if you don't want to be spoiled, I hear Lottso's lottsa fun over there at
Pogo. Just promise to come back.

I'll alert everybody on the tagboard to refresh when the news is important, like the announcement of the bottom two, so if you're trying to keep track, keep an eye out.

Oh goodie, Carmen Electra is in the audience, and Ryan just continues to look more and more handsome. He brags about the 45 million zillion trillion votes cast last night.

Chris says he's holding up well. Too bad half of his vocal cord last night wound up in Paula's coke cup. Taylor gushes about his couchmates, and Katharine, who is getting very very cuddly with Elliott, admits last night the pressure got to her. Time for Paris to gush about her colleagues. Awww. They love each other. And leave it to Elliott to leave us with the image of him in a pool of sweat at the Kodak. Maybe they can find Pickler's snotrag.

Time for the crappy group sing. Choir and everything. Can't help but wonder when the kids were given the lyrics to this song, as each of them looks like they're staring into the teleprompter. And when they're not drowned out by the band, they're swallowed up by the choir. Dang. This group sings so well together, it's too bad in one of the very rare times they're able to, they get a crappy song for the crappy sing. Crap.

The crappy Ford commercial is kinda dreary until they're at the end, but with only five, they all fit in one Ford! But I simply must get a screencap of those kids at the end.

We get to see a recap of the performances from the evening before, considering it has been over 24 hours since we saw them live.

After the break...

And we're back and ready to roll. Ryan explains the whole Graceland plans about how four of them are flying to Elvis' home to meet with Priscilla and Tommy and singing TWO Elvis songs next week.

Taylor gets his reviews. He is safe. No surprises there.

Chris is next. He gets reminded of the split decision he got last night. And he's safe too.

Paris, who's seated in the center, gets hers and then really gets hers, sent to the stage. Again. The crowd groans like they're surprised. Earth to audience: Ahem... She sang second! Where have you been?

And she gets to sing. And she's chosen to sing Prince. Again.

And in one of the funniest ever moments, she loses her mic battery but keeps dancing as Ryan chases her around, trying to tuck the thing back in her pants. That was priceless.

Katharine and Elliott remain. And we're taking another break.

We're back. Elliott gets reminded of his reviews. Katharine does too.

They look nervous. And Katharine is told she's safe.

Time for Elliott to sing. And he chooses On Broadway, this time with no nerves hopefully. And no lost battery packs, although he'd be easier to chase than a 17 year old.

Paris and Elliott give big hugs. And Elliott is told to take a seat.

The kids look devastated as she waves to the crowd.

We see her funeral footage to the real Bad Day.

Gosh it's sad to see any of them leave, and as usual, the ones on the sofa take it harder than the ousted one.

So long Paris. Good luck.

15 Comments:

Blogger DrillerAA said...

Elvis night is guaranteed to put Taylor in the top three (Jail House Rock, Viva Las Vegas, Love Me Tender. Elliot has a real chance to recover from this week (In the Ghetto come to mind). Kat could duo with Taylor as the Ann Margret character on Viva Las Vegas. Chris could be in a little trouble here. I'm not sure his glare and scream translate well to Elvis.

9:51 PM, May 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I would like to see Elliott continue on...I think it is inevitable that he will be the one to leave next week. Of course, something miraculous might happen, but the bottom 3 is destined to be Taylor, Chris, and Katharine. I have written a plea on my blog to anyone who reads it to vote for Elliott instead of anyone else next week. We need an upset. I am just glad Elliott got a chance to stick around for Elvis week.I love Elvis and I live Elliott so I am really looking forward to next week. Elliott should be proud of himself for making it this far. He is fantastic

9:54 PM, May 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad Elliott will sing Elvis too! I don't want him to go, but I think the others have a bigger fan base. I think Kat was pretty surprised she wasn't in the bottom tonight, so am I, I think she should have been. That first song she sang was soooo bad! If Elliott goes next, don't really care who wins the finals. I think its going to be between Taylor and Chris, especially if Katherine does a job like she did this week. I sure am going to miss this blog after AI is over. What will we do with ourselves!!??

10:08 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger Nelle said...

Oh I am so afraid Elliott will leave next week and if he does I will need Pickler's snotrag. Although I like the others too there's something that tugs my heartstrings about him.

10:22 PM, May 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though I want certain people to leave, it's always a bit sad to see them go. Paris' mega watt smile was a bit aggravating though seeing she cried over EVERYTHING this season. Not one tear shed though. I just want someone to break down and be hard to console, just ONE! Maybe it will be Katharine. Ooops, did I say that? Does Scientology allow them to have emotional breakdowns in public? Hmmm, well, there is Tom Cruise, so I guess so. LOL! Can't wait until next week! VIVA LAS VEGAS!!!!
Hugs,
Lisa

11:17 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Well, we all knew it was going to happen. I actually thought it was going to be Kat in the bottom 2 with Paris. I was very surprised to see Elliott with her and I think Kat was surprised that it wasn't her also. You were right, Jennifer.

Tonight's show was actually pretty good. All the contestants looked great, and as much as I don't like Paris, I thought she looked adorable: hairstyle, outfit and all!

Can't wait until next week when we get to hear Elvis! I grew up listening to him (grandmother/mother big fans!) and I'm probably one of the younger bloggers here. I would just like one of the contestants to sing "Always on my Mind" and I'll be happy, BUT as long as it doesn't sound ANYTHING like Fantasia's version! If anyone has it, listen to Elvis Radio on Sirius Satellite. We can get some good ideas and discuss! YAY!

Until then.....

11:37 PM, May 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the risk of sounding redundant here, when one considers that Pickler was kept around as long as she was with her sub-par voice, because of the T & A factor...it is no surprise that Katherine is desperately trying to maximize HER T & A factor, though this week the T stood for toes. She's playing the only card that can work for her, (in light of the superior male talent) and that's sex appeal. Male voters simply want to keep her around, for eye candy, if you will.

Elliot has little or no sex appeal, and does not have the looks to sustain a superstar, or a star of any kind. However, he does have the voice.

Chris is downright creepy, if you actually find the dull stare in his beady eyes attractive, I suggest owning a cobra as a pet. The guy looks a little too tightly wound for my tastes. And I have never equated screaming a song, with actually being able to sing one. Chris is a one trick pony, he has absolutely ZERO versatility. Week in and week out everything sounds the same, he is the McDonald's regurgitator of Idol this year, you want a screaming rocker? Well he's all yours.

Taylor has charisma, and has been the dark horse since the beginning. His passion for music is infectous, and he just makes you want to stand up and dance.

Taylor was made to do Elvis. I think watching attempts by either Chris or Katherine to do Elvis will have me rolling in the aisles.

Hope Katherine goes home next week, she doesn't deserve to run with the boys. In a perfect world,
where Idol was not a glorified beauty contest, the two finalists would be Elliot and Taylor. With Taylor to win, by a landslide.

Despite the plans Simon as obviously already made......

11:54 PM, May 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elvis songs for Taylor:

Blue Suede Shoes

Hound Dog


Elliott:

Can't Help Falling in Love With You


Chris

Viva Las Vegas


Katherine

Love Me Tender

12:22 AM, May 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I CAN'T WAIT FOR TAYLOR TO SING ELVIS!!!!!!!
I was really impressed with Paris last night. She cried when everyone else was sent home but was such a good sport when it was her turn. That took courage. She has a lot of class.
Please, oh, please let Kat go home next week. At least the judges have finally noticed some of the clinkers she hits.
I love Elliott, but I CAN'T WAIT FOR TAYLOR TO SING ELVIS!!!!!!!!!!!

9:01 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger lorguru said...

I think every single contestant in the top five could have a great career. What a great bunch!

I thought it was Paris' turn to go, but I won't be surprised to see her in the future.

To everyone that keeps calling Kat "eye candy", I just want to say that imho, she is much more than that. She is gorgeous, there is no doubt. But despite screwing up on one song the other night, she is a great performer and has a beautiful voice as well. Her second song was one of my favorite performances of the season.

I think it comes down to taste, not talent or star potential at this point. I think Chris is superb, but his kind of music, style, etc. is not to my taste.

I'm rambling, I know it!

Next week, I'll be sad whoever goes!

9:09 AM, May 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Idol Brain....I just didn't realize it. Taylor is most deserving of this win...handsdown.

9:36 AM, May 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katherine CAN be great, but she can also really screw it up and sing off key, badly. She's inconsistent, which is not the mark of a real STAR.

Chris is extremely talented and sexy, and should sing Suspicious Minds. It's perfect for him.

Taylor has a great deal of charisma and is a good singer. He's not great STAR material, but he could do fine.

Elliott is by far the greatest singer of the bunch. He's got natural technical skill that very few people have, even many famous recording stars. He blew me away when he sang Moody's Mood for Love and Teach Me Tonight. When he's not impressing people, it's because the songs are too easy and don't show his amazing talent. Looking through the Elvis songlist, there's nothing that stands out as being a good showcase for his talent, so he may be in danger. But I hope he goes all the way and there's a big upset. That would be more exciting for the show, and he deserves it. I would buy one of his albums if it were on sale today.

10:03 AM, May 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I think Paris is also an incredibly talented young woman and I hope she'll continue her efforts. We'll be seeing her on the charts one day. Frankly, I got tired of people dissing her, it was just rude and mean. She's a sweet girl and deserves more respect than that.

Paris fans! Hop aboard the E-Train and send those votes to Elliott!!!!

10:10 AM, May 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
Do you know if there is somewhere to find the % of votes for each person anywhere?

Thanks.

2:09 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Ahh. The vote percentage. One of the great mysteries of the universe. No. They don't release that information. Ever.

2:58 PM, May 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!