Wednesday, April 19, 2006

with all your faults, I [heart] you still...

Finally. I am excited about this season once again.

Yes, I know that some people found last night's celebration of classic American music somewhat of a snoozefest, and I suppose if one doesn't much like the music, one is not going to magically enjoy it coming from the seven finalists, but, speaking purely selfishly, this is my favorite genre, and the Big Band/Standards nights have always brought me joy. Last night was one of the finest.

And, while it may just be my tunnelled perception, it looked as though the kids were having a blast. But even if they weren't, they faked it well.

So it's tough to choose a loser when so many gave such terrific performances. But not that tough.

The DialIdol results that so many of us have been watching closely this season have seen a welcomed shake-up. For the first time there is no clear, runaway winner and the pack has bunched itself up tightly, mostly within the margin of error.

Now, while so many unaccounted-for variables (such as texting, incomplete calls being counted as votes, and a self-selected group of voters, myself included, contributing to the results) make it dangerous to use DialIdol as an accurate gauge of the voting trends, one must admit it's had an admirable accuracy rate thus far.

Taylor and Pickler have, essentially, dominated the vote. Not true this week, as Taylor continues to lead, but is within the margin of error of Elliott, who surged in the voting (I still say as a result of the Bucky-less voters and in reaction to his stellar results show performance last week) to push Pickler from the second spot. Add Katharine to the mix, and Pickler has dropped to fourth, but within the margin of Chris in fifth.

How refreshing to see that the top five are getting a mix-up and that, by all appearances, we really do not have an overwhelming, presumptive final two, as we have in virtually every season until now. Makes for an exciting home stretch.

But before we get to the home stretch, we have to lose some dead weight.

At this point, the only person who is completely secure is Taylor, who turned in a Taylor-esque performance last night. Pickler, who up until now has looked untouchable, took a hard hit as really the only one of the seven to tank last night, but I have to admit, I was impressed with her admission of suckiness, which is far more refreshing than one of those half-hearted, delusional "well, I think I rocked even though the entire free world knows I sucked" speeches. (Yes, Ace, I remember Queen week.) And, considering I don't give Pickler much in the way of praise, that's a biggie.

Chris has been running the risk of hitting the boredom and predictability plateau that has killed many an Idol kid, but last night's solid and true standards rendition may have awakened some of his early fans who were reminded, like I was, why they liked him in the first place. He really does have a good voice. When he's singing and not screaming.

It's kind of obvious that Katharine is becoming more and more one of the chosen ones, as the pimping has gotten more and more obvious. But last night's "you're leagues above everyone else in this competition," might have some negative consequences, because, while no one really debates that the girl can sing, she is not vocally leagues above Taylor, Chris, Elliott or even Paris.

Which brings me to Paris. Of the seven performances, hers, while technically sound, really was the most forgettable. I had to think for a minute this morning when trying to remember them all. And she has lagged toward the bottom of online polls all season. Simon may think she's destined for the final, but I don't think she's even going to make it to the top five.

Elliott. I truly think Elliott has totally screwed up all of their plans. There is always one contestant who comes out of nowhere, even though he/she wasn't expected to be much of a contender by the powers that be. Bucky and Elliott were this year's spoilers. Now Elliott is left, having, I think, benefitted from the Bucky vote (Bucky saying Elliott was his best friend sure didn't hurt any), and gaining more and more new fans/voters with every note he sings. Simon doesn't know how to stop his momentum, and he can't pick apart his vocals, so he goes for the "personality." Actually I think personality was the wrong word. Elliott has one of, if not the most, sparkling, genuine personalities of those who are left, now that Bucky's gone. And he's got a super cool mom. But his weakness is, as it's always been, stage presence. And while some voters (me) don't give a rat's patootie about dancing and camera flirting, many do, so while Simon's comments might sway some voters away from Elliott, the backlash against Simon's comments might equalize the vote.

And then there's Ace. Ace needs to go. A week ago last Wednesday. His performance on Queen night was cringe-worthy, which in and of itself may have saved him. Bad performances/negative reviews equal avid voting. Okay performances/lukewarm reviews equal complacency. And it's always good to have one of the kids going out on a good note.

Up until last night I was sniffing a shocker coming up, but I think that's gonna be next week. The sixth place finisher is often the unexpected one. This week I think things are gonna pan out the way they probably should.

So here's my lineup:

Who I want: Ace, Pickler, Paris (Ace)
Who should: Pickler, Paris, Ace (Ace)
Who will: Paris, Ace, Chris.

And if Ace doesn't go this time, I'm gonna be booking me a flight out to Los Angeles and take him out myself.

And I don't mean on a date.

Those are mine. Now show me yours.





14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!

I agree, Ace has got to go but I would love to see the shock of a lifetime and send Kellie packing!

9:46 AM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Actually I'm still fighting with myself over that last spot between Chris and Pickler, because it's time one of the big three makes a first appearance, and it's not going to be Taylor. Either could land there, but I really think the show wants Chris fans to energize, so his being there will do wonders for voting fingers.

10:01 AM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger MP said...

That was my favorite show all season.
Who I want in the bottom: Ace, Kellie, Paris (ace)
Who should: Ace, Kellie, Elliot (ace)
Who will: Ace, Paris, Elliot (Elliot)

10:55 AM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

Finally, a breath of fresh air! I truly enjoyed last night's show. With notable exceptions (yes, I'm talking to you, Kellie), picking this week's bottom 3 is going to be tough.

Major props to Chris for finally showing us the "sensitive" side to himself. I was mesmerized by the song, wondering, "Is this really Chris singing that?"

And I also have to give Kellie credit for at least admitting that she butchered the song. It was not by any means one of her best performances.

And much as I hate to admit it,last night wasn't Ace's night, either. I think that it's finally time for him to go home. Okay, so it's been time for him to go home for weeks now. Let's face it, I like the boy, but if he makes too many more trips to the bottom 3, they're going to name the stage after him. So, sorry, Ace, but you and your hunky brother may be facing a trip home soon.

11:15 AM, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do wonder what Paris performance you are talking about, Jennifer... Every other song of the season lacked personality for her - or she simply "over-acted" each one. (Aside from her audition). Last night, she finally connected with her audience. I just hope it's not too late!

Don't get me wrong - I am not on the Paris bandwagon, ... yet, but last night she truly was superior.

Thanks, Jennifer. You are a blast to read. And read. And read again~

11:55 AM, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S.
My favs? Taylor and Elliot.

11:58 AM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

About Paris: I think she was terrific, but for some reason, it always seems as though I forget about her. I think it's because I don't lurve her, the way I do Elliott and Taylor and I don't dislike her, like some others.

And if that's happening to me, I can't help but wonder if it's happening to others.

2:01 PM, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't throw stones at me but for ME Elliott is the forgetable one. I must be the only one though according to dialidol! -Jenna

2:36 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

No stones are ever thrown here. But I can't promise about arrows. ROFL :D

I'm just glad that somebody else forgets. With only seven of them, for me to actually forget one had me worried. Oldtimer's disease.

2:40 PM, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

incredible night. they sounded amazing as a group. Considering how solid Pickler should have been last night, I was surprised that she would fall apart on this type of music. Something more rock-sy maybe, but not something which is simple stand there and sing stuff. If not for Carrie last year, I think more people would like her a lot more, but it's the fear of back to back Carrie/country winners that I think has most of ya'll worried.

Katherine was stellar, and looked great. Paris was really good. Chris was amazing for Chris, I can't believe it! he can actually SING a song rather than scream a song :) haha Taylor was good ole' Taylor, though, as someone who really likes him, I think these types of songs show he doesn't have the silky sultry blow you down vocals some of the others have at times. I find Taylor's voice is sort of plain until he puts his 'personality' into the song, then he's originaly and enjoyable, probably moreso than anyone else. Elliot, I have to say I sort of forget him too. He sings well, his vocals just aren't clicking with me. It's not that he can't sing, it's just tonal and stage presence/appearance. And maybe crocked teeth. Not sure why, I don't like singers with teeth going everywhere, it's my big hangup with Pickels too.

And Ace, I think he'll be here for 2 or 3 more weeks, and I'm gonna blow a gasket while better singers get dumped. We've already lost better singers while his fans keep him around. At least John Stewart (that was the crooner kid right?) was unique and you just wanted to see if he could figure out how to sing something without crooning. Ace only has looks, and nothing really interesting other than his brother you ladies seem to like so much :)

hope/should: Ace, Pickels, Paris
Likely: Ace, Elliot, Chris/Paris

Ace better go, but I have a real concern it'll be Elliot. if,somehow, voters got scared into saving him, I suspect paris or Kellie could be gone. And regardless how Kellie did last night, she doesn't deserve to go before Ace, nor does any of this group. Just have to wonder about America at times when watching this show, they do some strange things :)

JJ

5:55 PM, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One question, if Ace does go home tonight, do you think that hunk of a brother will stay and watch the rest of the performances? I do so hope he does!! LOL!
Hugs,
Lisa

7:37 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

Since I missed most of last night, I just listened to Pickles audio. That was painful! If it weren't for her extrodinary fan base, this would be a competition ending performance. Ace actually had a pretty good night but I think he has been too bad too long to survive another week. Next week however, will be anybody's game to win or lose. Later all.

8:03 PM, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am one of the original elliott yamin fan base....this contest is his to lose.
my picks to go home real soon:
paris
chris
pickler
not that they arent good...just not good enough.
and i don't give s--t what simon says......

1:03 AM, April 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think maybe we could ship Kellie over to Afghanistan on a good will mission, she's so perky and stuff, where she could bore the Taliban to death instead of just us? Maybe we could effect a trade for Bin Laden, I hear they truly adore brainless blondes

1:18 AM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!