Wednesday, April 12, 2006

off with his head: a simulblog...

Time to reward seven and execute one after the kids' brush with Queen. And it's time for another simulblog, writtten as I'm watching, making all kinds of grammatical boo-boos with a publish at every important stop, so if you don't want to be spoiled, well, you know...

It's an hour tonight so we simply must be treated to several minutes of inane banter between Ryan and the three muskateers before being reminded of the events of the preceding evening.

Okay, another look at the Taylor missed mic stand kick was worth it.

We're promised a pointy-pose Queen medley and the kids kick off the show with it. Now, I liked the retrospective of the season thus far, but I hate the split screen. They've gypped us with group sings this season, so it's totally sucky that we don't even get to see the crappy dance steps unless we have a 89 inch television screen placed about two inches from our nose.

But it was an enjoyable vocal nonetheless.

Now...what are they gonna do for the next 50 minutes?

OH! Commercials!

And the crappy Ford one has the kids dressed in pastel golfing attire, all trying to hit golf balls in apparently an attempt to win a, uhhh, FORD! Ace says he picked out the clothes and that it's the first time he's worn pink. Uh huh.

Ryan has them all lined up on the sofa, quizzing each of them on what they miss from home. Most of them think food which sets up a series of greetings from moms and dads, as if the kids haven't seen their parents in ages. Heck, I just saw Mama McPhee last freakin' night!

But it makes Elliott cry, so it's all good, and I'll stop splitting hairs.

We're given a sneak peek into next week with Rod Stewart and the standards the kids will get to sing.

Taylor gets to see a message from his bandmates and Ray and Lamont, his fish. He gets reminded that he missed the mic stand and what the judges had to say. He's then given the safe sign.

Katharine gets another greeting from mom and dad, who cries when his little girl sings. Dad cries. Katharine cries. Kellie cries. Elliott cries. Kleenex all around. She gets her marks and gets told she's safe.

Chris gets his family greeting from his brother and parents. He's reminded of the judges' remarks and is told to sit still.

Commercial interruption...

Grandpa Pickler sheds a little tear in his Pick Pickler t-shirt, and it's very sweet. Pickler revisits her remarks from the evening before and passes her "snotrag" after being told she's safe.

Elliott's mother is a very sweet lady as she recounts the day they discovered his diabetes. More tears. He's reminded of what the judges said last night and is then sent to the stage to the boos of the audience. Randy tells America they're screwed up, just as Ryan surprises him with the microphone and screams SING!

And he does. And he does it well.

Ace's brothers laugh about the abuse they heaped on the boy growing up. Ace has to hear again the abuse heaped upon him last night by the judges before being told he's part of the bottom tier. Again. Paula tells him he's not in big trouble. She is such a liar.

Now he has to sing. And we have to listen.

Bucky's dad laments the loss of the local racetrack, and Paris' people rejoice in her decision to sing rather than to be an OBGYN. Both of them get their flashbacks, and Bucky is sent to the seal with Ace and Elliott.

The boys line up. Simon predicts Ace will leave.

Ryan, however, has bad news for Bucky and his fans.

He gets to watch the "You're Dead" video.

He's had a bad day...

So long Bucky. And thanks.






17 Comments:

Blogger Frances said...

Ace is there for one more week!!!

I know you don't like him, but I do.

His fans rallied because we know he's not the best, but he's better than Bucky.

I'm off to celebrate.

9:33 PM, April 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buh Bye Bucky. I really did like you.

9:43 PM, April 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fangirl heart has broken... and it will never beat again for the boy who made me like country.

I'm off to cry into my pillow.

9:43 PM, April 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Bucky and Elliot fan I'm very disappointed with tonight's bottom three - even though Bucky wasn't the best vocalist in the competition, he always picked the right songs for himself and was entertaining. His personality made me google his name and after hearing his original song I thought he was very talented. I felt he did miles better than Ace last night. I even told my fiance last night that the producers on the show were obviously wanted Bucky to go home since they put him first. Ace should have been the one to go home.

9:46 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Frances said...

Bucklor,
Don't cry. My guy Ace will be heading home next week.
Why don't we split the dif and go and have drinks to drown our sorrows at about midnight on Saturday.

9:47 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

While I have never been a huge fan of Pickles, I have not been a major detractor of hers...until now!!! Take your community "Snot Rag" and just leave. Dayum woman, you ARE dumb as a box of rocks! Do all the women in your family have a community tampon too?
I'll be you go to family reunions to meet guys. The whole family tree only has three branches. Let's see, my daddy was my uncle and my sister is my aunt... or something like that.

11:16 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

Idol On Fox has added Gedeon McKinney's "When A Man Loves A Woman", video to their site.
He's still better than Bucky, Ace, or Kevin. But, could he do Queen? We'll never know.

11:40 PM, April 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Based on last night's performance, Bucky shouldn't have even been in the bottom 3, much less the one that was sent packin'. For the first time this season, I actually enjoyed his performance and could understand nearly every word he sang (maybe because I know the lyrics already?). I've never been a Bucky supporter and felt he should have gone weeks ago, but last night was a good night for him! I don't get it!

Anyway, Ace is safe for another week... and I have to be honest. Since next week is Standards week, I'm glad he'll be there. I like it when he sings in his soft, sensitive voice. Standards just may be what keeps him around yet one more week. I'd rather see Pickles go before Ace.

And will someone PLEASE tell me WHY Elliot was in the bottom 3?! Wise up America! Close your eyes if you have to and just *listen* to his voice! He's the most talented male singer (vocally) this season.

2:30 AM, April 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't a Bucky fan at first, but he kinda grew on me. I could've dealt with watching Ace and Paris leave before him. I was sad to see him go tonight.

While watching the show I was torn over Ace. Torn over wanting him to be safe so I didn't have to hear that awful version of We Will Rock You again, or having to hear him perform next week. Lucky us, we get both. Booooo.

Last night was the first time that I wasn't blown away by Chris, but either way I think he'll end up taking the cake.

The only person that I really liked last night was Elliot, and normally I'm not a huge fan.

Is it just me or does it sound funny when Katherine sings 'forever'? I wish I could write what I mean. It sounds like 'Forrrrevuuure' but with something stuck in her throat. I am indeed a Kat fan btw.

What is 'Standards' week? maybe I'm just not thinking straight due to lack of sleep.. forgive me if that's a silly question!

4:17 AM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

Bonnie, Freddie Mercury sings the song that way, too.

I'm a Bucky fan. Not of his singing, but of him personally. I think he's a guenuine guy (unlike say, Kellie) and I think he was just happy to be there.

He was clearly the weakest vocalist of the group, but he was very likeable. He didn't try to hard (like Ace) and he's not annoying (like Paris).

8:16 AM, April 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave, that makes sense.

I have noticed the same sound come from her with other words too actually, that was just the example I could think of right off the top of my head.

8:37 AM, April 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Elliott was put on the spot like that and had to sing AGAIN, he proved his worth...no way was Bucky better than him.

Go Elliott! Wow, never knew I was such a fan! He's very close to kicking Taylor out of my top 3.

~V~

8:53 AM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

About the stupid split screen - do you wonder if they're actively trying to find ways to totally screw this season over?

That was bogus.

10:16 AM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

I was a little surprised that Bucky went before Ace did. Don't get me wrong; I like them both, for different reasons. I loved Bucky's personality more than I did his vocals. He always seemed so sunny, so genuine. Even when the judges criticized him, he took it like a man and thanked them anyway. That is the mark of a Southern gentleman, and of someone with true class.
As for Ace, well, you know why I like him. :-)

I was definitely shocked to see Elliott in the bottom 3. Was America not listening the other night? I thought he sang beautifully. But like I said before, I'm a huge Elliott fan, so I'm a little biased.

And what was up with the split screen? I enjoyed the medley, and the video clips. I just wish both of them had been easier to see.

Overall, not a bad week at all. The Queen show was far better than what I'd expected. And something tells me next week will be interesting, too.

12:56 PM, April 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is somewhat random, but i feel the need to address it.
my mom is like huge on the gossip that goes around idol, and when she heard about bucky and rocky pulling the "switcheroo" back in '98, then she started going on about how one of them has lighter, almost platinum, blonde hair, the other darker, and one of them has teeth that are kinda gapped up, while the other are as close as could be. now at first i didn't believe it. i was like "...all righty then mom. yup. cool."
but then she kept repeating it over and over, so i went to the american idol website to show her the photo galleries, trying to find as best pictures i could of their "teeth." i dunno if she's just hypnotized me into believing its true, but somehow it happened, and i really can't tell which is which. it seemed like last night when bucky performed his goodbye performance with ace and elliot, he sounded really different. like something wasn't right. i'm just completely lost, and i'm not sure what to believe. it seemed like (by the galleries on american idol) they switched off every other week or so. i mean, you would think that someone would have caught on to that, seeing as how all the cahoots that have happened in past seasons. this season alone with insurance fraud and reckless driving. i just wanted to know if you had heard anything about it and i'm in need of some sort of comfort and security that i'm not as insane as i think i am lol.

3:14 PM, April 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danielle...I had no idea about Bucky and Rocky pulling switcheroos in the past, but I can see that. I've known a few identical twins in my life and they've done the same thing. But if Bucky and Rocky did that and got away with it, that is BRILLIIANT!! lolol Bucky certainly seemed like the type to want to have fun at all times. That's too funny!

Bonnie, the reason why Kellie sounds the way she does is because she's a trained singer. One of the things a vocal coach will tell you to do is hold your vowels on sustained notes...not the consonant. Imagine holding the word "forever" in the same manner in which we speak the word: forev-ERRRRR.
Not pretty. (One of the reasons I'm not a country fan.) And if I read your example correctly, Kat is pronouncing the "er" more like an "uh" with a little r attached at the very end. Sustained notes in singing sound best when the vowels are open. You know how each vowel has a short and a long sound? Ace vs apple, meet vs met, open vs mop? In singing, you want to go with the long vowel on sustained notes.
Hope that helps.

4:32 PM, April 13, 2006  
Blogger AlbGlinka said...

Errgghh, I think I finally have to start voting... for the best remaining vocalist in the competition:

ELLIOTT!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the great blogging, Jennifer.

5:07 PM, April 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!