Wednesday, April 05, 2006

caution: crankiness ahead...

Is it just me or is this season losing steam faster than a locomotive headed for a cliff? Or is it just headed for a cliff?

When ardent, some might call even psycho, fans of this show admit to finding other things to do during performance episodes, things are not good. When my good friends start emailing me because they can't think of anything to comment here about, things are looking bleak.

One crappy episode is understandable, even somewhat expected in an American Idol season. But back-to-back ones? One could blame last week on the crappy music from the era they were given to choose from.

But last night there was no excuse. None. Nada.

With the rich history of country music, the breadth of the artists, the styles and the stylings, I refuse to believe that the nine songs selected were the only ones available. And then only a couple of them rose enough to the occasion to call themselves worthy of being on that stage.

What I would have given to hear Katharine try Patsy Cline, even though she's not "bluesy." Too freakin' bad if she's not bluesy. She's perfection. The whole point of theme nights is to get out of your self-constructed box and show the world you can. Then, once it's over, climb back into the box and bluesy your life away.

Of course, I was in a crappy mood to begin with, kinda like I am today, so I expected not to really like anything, and I really didn't all that much, but I do have to give props to Pickler, the one who I've raked through the coals this season. Unfortunately, her fine performance had to be preceded by yet another manufactured spin conversation, which ticked me off beforehand. C'mon. The criticism of Pickler has less to do with calamari and more to do with fabrication. I lost it with this girl the moment she claimed not to have sung in front of people before, even though it was well-established that she was a pageant veteran. And frankly, I'm just sick of stupid being a fashion statement.

And who in the hell sucked out Taylor's soul and replaced it with cotton candy? You know cotton candy, right. You can see it. You know it's there. And it's very sweet, but it's nothing. I want Taylor back. Hopefully he's just at the dry cleaners.

And frankly, I've had my fill with these genre theme nights that Simon (or either of the others) just refuses to even try to understand. If they're gonna insist on country, then learn about country music. Hell, go out and buy the Cliff's Notes if you need to, but don't just dismiss every performance with "I hated the song." You're being paid enough money to put in a little homework time. Otherwise don't have the stupid theme. Criticize their vocals or their lack of performance skills or even their song choice, but don't criticize the song just because you don't like/understand/comprehend the theme.

Whew. Got that off my chest.

Seems Nigel's been at it again, this time on Ryan Seacrest's radio show. He's avoiding the "S" word this week, but is lamenting the fact that tonight's bootee will be sad to lose because he/she is "well-liked." He also says that, since there's nine of them, they're gonna do the good ole stack 'em up into three groups of three and let everybody wonder which group contains the bad people.

Then there's
Dial Idol, who has been doing some tweaking of its formula to account for the differences in population between the right side of the country and the left.

Couldn't help but sort through my pre-season predictions. This was my first predicted "shocker" week with Paris as the victim.

How do you pick a bottom three when none of them have done anything noteworthy in the past two weeks to merit not being there?

I'll tell ya. You take a wild ass guess and just hope you're somewhere in the vicinity of kinda correct.

Or not.

Here goes:

Who I want: Mandisa, Pickler, Ace (Ace)
Who should: Bucky, Mandisa, Ace (Ace)
Who will: Mandisa, Elliott, Paris

And it will be Mandisa who gets to avoid getting up close and personal with the music of Queen.

Okay, I showed you mine. Now, you show me yours...

10 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I'm sticking with Ace as the guy who will be left standing when the music stops.

I think everyone but his die-hard fans has abandoned him because he's floundered so badly over the past few weaks. Two out of three appearances in the bottom 3 isn't good (look what happened to Lisa).

What strikes me about this crop is that while all of the remaining contestants (except Bucky) would have probably finished in the top 6 any other year, there is no one who blows everyone else out of the water.

Last year, you knew, that Carrie and Bo were going to be in the finals. Same thing season 2; it was Clay and Rueben with everyone else fighting for third place.

This year, the field is deep. Even if you throw Kevin back in the mix, in my opinion, top to bottom they're still better than any other class. What the're lacking is the signature performer or two who will define this season.

One other thing that, in a perverse way, might be hurting the show is that (again with the exception of Bucky), there is no one left who you look at and go, "If they won, I'm never watching this damn show again" like you did when you realised that Scott and Jasmine were bulletproof and they were cruising towards the finals.

And you don't hate Bucky because he's such a nice guy and he's just happy to be there. All the other contestants have strengths and weaknesses and while it's made the playing field level, I think it also brings indifference.

3:55 PM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

I think you're exactly right Dave. There is boredom in perfection. This is why I enjoy the whole VFTW idea. When there's one spoiler in the mix, at least there's an air of "oooooo, I wonder how bad he's gonna be tonight" or "I wonder if he'll finally leave tonight." When the group is this even, it really is dull. Problem is, like you say, none of them seem to be pulling ahead.

Taylor had the advantage, but seems to have faded into the woodwork. Chris is too predictable, but helped himself last night, and Pickler's just too irritating to care about. The others are just "there."

Except, of course, for Ace's cute brother. He's my idol.

And I think Ace (and his brother) will be safe tonight.

4:03 PM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger lorguru said...

I think Dave's comment above is right on. Good work, Dave!

Now, my predicitions:

Who I want: Ace, Kellie, Ace
Who it should be: Ace, Bucky, Taylor
Who it will be: Mandisa, Ace, Bucky
Goodbye: Mandisa

Frankly, I don't really care to watch tonight. I would be happy to just find out who's out. That is a big sign of boredom, because early in the season, even when it was on three nights a week, I wanted to tune in every one of those nights.

Frankly, once Ace is gone, there aren't any others I'll be happy to see go. I guess Kellie, but I don't dislike her as much as Jennifer. I just think she's peaked. I don't see a lot of improvement. She's good, but not my next American Idol.

BTW, maybe there is an Invasion of the Idol-snatchers thing going on. or Stepford Idol. Maybe that explains the Taylor thing. Jennifer, you are spot on w/ the cotton candy analogy!

ciao for now,
lauren

4:56 PM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger MP said...

I think the bottom three last night were Mandisa, Taylor and Kellie. Who SHOULD be in the bottom three: Bucky, Kellie and Ace. Who will be in the bottom three: Mandisa, Bucky and Ace. Bye bye Mandisa...or Bucky.

5:44 PM, April 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You kill me...that was the best laugh I had all day. I don't know what was worse, last night's show or my dentist appt...

I agree, bye bye Mandisa!

~V~

5:52 PM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

You know what's kind of funny is that Nigel said the dead singer walking is "very well-liked." Probably fans everywhere are hoping their Idol is really a total asswipe. At least for today.

ROFL

6:06 PM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

Jennifer, I am going to completely agree with you and Dave. Simon is earning seven figures to be a judge and he's worthless as tits on a bore hog during country night.
Either do the homework or take the night off!!! Paula, get into rehab and stay there until you are clean. Dayum woman, if this job drives you to drugs and alcohol, find something else to do. Randy, what's up dawg...I mean listen, you were just awight, you know, you wern't bad, but it wasn't real good for me, you know, you gotta bring it every week, ya know dawg. Dayum Dawg, get a dictionary and learn some words!!!
I through preachin' now.

6:56 PM, April 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it will be Bucky this week.

9:00 PM, April 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you were right on huh? At least I can comment on this entry because I feel the very same way about American Idol these past 2 weeks. I am cringing though about next week. After Constantine's performance of "BR", I dread to think of, hmm, let's just say, Bucky taking it on. I will turn off the show forever if that's the case and I mean it! I want to know who is going to sing "Fat Bottomed Girls" though. LOL!
Hugs,
Lisa

8:19 AM, April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"he's worthless as tits on a bore hog during country night."

OMG, that jr makes me sit here and giggle like a school girl!! TOO FUNNY!!! But I have to agree!
Hugs,
Lisa

8:20 AM, April 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!