Wednesday, March 29, 2006

21st century hangover...

It's official. I am considering instigating a class action lawsuit against the producers of American Idol and ten people under the age of 30 for injuries, both emotional and physical, that I sustained last evening as a direct result of being pelted by bad notes, horrid songs and just general overall ickiness.

I want my hour back.

We've had bad nights during the five-season run of this show. Last season's Showtunes night comes immediately to mind. But last night's Songs of the Current Century night will certainly, without doubt, rank right there among the best of the worst.

See? Kevin goes and the whole show turns to crap. Told ya.

For perhaps the first time, I'm hoping for a new twist: the execution of half of the field. Okay, okay. Maybe I'm being extreme. Three-quarters of them. Or maybe we can just choose the non-loser and spend the next two months watching repeats from season one.

Yeah. That works.

It's becoming sadly apparent that crappy group numbers are being forsaken this season in favor of guest performers hawking CDs. Tonight somebody named Shakira will be on stage, taking up time that would be better spent doing pointy poses and Brady Bunch dance moves. And expect an announcement that next week :::big gulp::: will be Country Night, as the celebrity-instead-of-group-sing will be Travis Tritt.

Please, please save Bucky tonight, so that he can have his country night!

The worst three last night were half of them, with the other half receiving honorable mentions. Dial Idol, which attempts to predict who will be leaving on the basis of busy signals, has about a six-way statistical tie. It's anybody's guess.

The only safe ones really are Chris, Taylor and Pickler, who have garnered fan bases so big, it's going to take several more eliminations/base-less fans to even begin chipping away at their advantage. Elliott should also be safe, considering he got the coveted pimp spot last night, and turned out one of the less-offensive efforts. And I think Katharine, despite her Goodwill Blue Light Special Clearance Rack wardrobe, probably has enough credit stored in the bank of past performances to rescue her. Ditto Paris, who at least brought a bit of spirit to a dreary night.

So the problem children remain Lisa, our traditional Wednesday-night stage dweller, Bucky, who is not one of the favored nations, Ace, who is all scarred, literally and figuratively, joined now by Mandisa, who may have just alienated a whole bunch of people with her gospel turn.

Oh the pain... (No, really. Pain.)

But here goes...

Who I want: Pickler, Lisa, Ace (Pickler)
Who should: Pickler, Lisa, Ace (Pickler)
Who will: Lisa, Ace, Mandisa.

And, despite my recommendation, Ace will regret that he did not choose to sing the Bad Day song as he will (if we're lucky) get his Drops of Jupiter cut off mid-verse.

Okay. Your turn.

tag: american idol

6 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

I've predicted Lisa to bite the dust now for five weeks, so I'm changing my strategy this time. (Besides, she was not the worst.) Watch: she'll go this time. ;o)

11:37 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Yes, they should do Carole King. She has written so many songs that we love, but most people don't even know she wrote them. And they don't do nearly enough female artists.

Leiber/Stoller night WAS the best. I still swoon at Bo doing Love of Money!

1:13 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Nelle said...

Last night was really awful. I used to like Drops of Jupiter too. Kellie was by far the worst with her choice and I felt only Katharine's was ok and frankly, she was either brilliant or foolhardy with that choice. I didn't feel any of them were worthy of a vote last night and I didn't bother.

3:49 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Happy Hiker said...

Who I want: Kellie, Ace, Bucky

Who should: Bucky, Ace, Kellie

Who will: Ace, Lisa, Bucky

4:02 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger lorguru said...

I'm so tired of Ace's Face, (That look into the camera of acid indigestion!) and frankly, his face is all he's got going for him (okay, I'll admit his body isn't bad either) Anyway, please let Jennifer be right tonight!!!!
I wouldn't miss Lisa much, but I think she'll do a better (gag) country attempt than Ace.
I would love for Chris to be in the bottom three this week just to send him a message.

4:07 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

I've gotta say: I'm not sure how some of them will do with country week. (Chris comes to mind, as does Paris.) Bucky will be in his element, and Pickles...well, let's just pray she doesn't pick another song like "Suds in the Bucket".

8:10 PM, March 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!