Friday, March 17, 2006

it's gonna be cool, it's gonna be keen...

Okay cads and lads, it's time to polish up those saddle shoes and poof up that poodle skirt. We're going back to the future. Next week is 50s night! WooHoo. I swear, I think I've died and gone to heaven, so watch the "old skool" remarks please. Don't pee on my Wheaties.

Barry Manilow is back, presumably doing more than just squawking out Unchained Melody. Last go-round, he worked with the kids, like Wonder this week. He's got a CD on the shelves, after all, and he's hitting the circuit, hawking his wares in addition to performing in Las Vegas.

Thankfully his CD is the greatest songs of the 1950s, and not the Greatest Hits of Barry Manilow. I think we all still have scars from the last time the Idols sang Manilow.

There are so many glorious songs, wonderful artists that hit the charts during the 1950s, in every genre. There is more than enough material to fit each of the kids, so much so that I'm having difficult narrowing my fantasy song choices to a reasonable number of songs.

Laura's got some great selections. Be sure to check hers out. Probably together we can write this show better than they do.

So, as I work this weekend on narrowing my fantasy song selections, I'll share some of the artists that I think the kids can master.

I know y'all are dissing on Kevin, but he still is a cute kid with talent, even if it is high school musical level, so I'd love to see him try something from Dion & the Belmonts, the Everly Brothers or, especially, a Paul Anka, Tab Hunter or Frankie Avalon tune. (And I also want him to keep his mouth shut when Simon tells him he's pathetic.)

Elliott, Taylor and Katharine were made for this decade, and each of them could hit the lottery by experiencing the treasure trove that is the 50s.

Elliott has Frank Sinatra, Sam Cooke and Bobby Darin tunes to choose from, but since it's my fantasy, I really want him to try a Nat King Cole tune. Kat can pretty much handle anything, and she's probably the only one of the women I would trust with Patsy Cline, but she also might Sincerely consider the McGuire Sisters or even one of The Platters' hits. And Taylor, of course, has Ray Charles and Fats Domino from which to choose and, if he really wants to let loose of those patented whoas, he could approach Little Richard. With caution. Taylor doing Little Richard. Can we handle it?

Ace loves his falsetto so much he could always check out Frankie Lymon's catalog, but then so could Paris. Goody, Goody! But Ace could probably handle Johnny Mathis. And Paris might want to consider something by Peggy Lee (anything but Fever, please) or the FAB! Teresa Brewer.

Lisa is always a question mark, and she's probably got the biggest target taped to her butt, from which she really must pull something to survive. She also could handle Teresa Brewer and the sisters McGuire, but, since her power is in the ballads, perhaps something by The Platters might be more in order.

Mandisa likes to belt, and that's where her strength is, so I have four words for her: Julie. London. Jo. Stafford. And just for good measure: The. Big. Hurt.

Hey Bucky! You've just hit the musical lottery. Choose something by Elvis. Or Hank Williams. Or Carl Perkins. Or Conway Twitty. Yes. Do that.

I swear I am having too much fun for my own good.

Pickler better stay away from Patsy. She can't handle it, but I feel in my soul she's gonna go there. I'd rather see her try to tackle Kitty Wells, though, or even Patti Page.

And that leaves Chris. I really want to see Chris break away from that rocker mode. I want him not to carry around a mic stand and get all pyrotechnic. He needs to show his versatility and his voice. A nice Elvis ballad would be welcomed, or even a non-ballad might get us All Shook Up. Maybe he could tackle something by Buddy Holly or Bill Haley. But, if he insists on rocking out, Chuck Berry is always fun.

Well, those are some of my ideas. Now I have to endure going through the lists of 50s songs, try to get some audio clips and narrow down my ideas. Oh the blissful torture.

Did I mention that I love the music of the 50s?

So, who did I forget to consider? What would be great songs for them to choose?



tag: american idol

9 Comments:

Blogger Emily Suess said...

[insert "Barely ManEnough" joke here]

7:48 PM, March 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see Chris singing Jailhouse Rock by Elvis.

I love 50's, I can't wait to see this!

Jennifer, your blog ROCKS. It's just about the first thing I check every time I come on - THANKS!

8:24 PM, March 17, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

Pickles might be made for a Connie Frances "Where the Boys Are" kind of song....and yes, yes, yes, Taylor doing Little Richard is a natural. Although since Ray Charles is his idol, I would expect something from that catalog. Maybe Chicken Little could do a Pat Boone number. For those of us that are actually old enough to remember some of the fifties...Pat Boone did Little Richard. He recorded "Tuti Fruti". Those were the days when even the record industry was segregated. Thankfully they are gone. Back to suggestions. Kevin might also try something from the Ricky Nelson song book. I think Katharine is made for Patsy Cline, great suggestion. Since we saw Paris do Billie Holiday during the auditions, she could do a little Ella Fitzgerald...too obscure. That might not set well with the public though. Actually Lisa might do Johnny Mathis proud.
Thanks for the great site Jennifer. This is more fun than fantasy football!!!

11:35 PM, March 17, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Kevin could definitely handle Pat Boone. I forgot about Connie Francis. Thank heavens, though, that Where the Boys Are was a 60s song, so she can't touch that. But I can see her singing Who's Sorry Now.

So many artists! So few contestants! :o)

7:12 AM, March 18, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

I might pay to see a 60's night!!!
I can see Chris doing "House Of The Rising Sun"!!! Since Credence Clearwater Revival came along in 1968, Taylor could choose from "Born on the Byou", "Fortunate Son", "Lodi", "Bad Moon Rising", and a few others. Mandisa could revisit some serious Aretha Franklin or Supremes. It could be a really fun evening. Where is Gedeon when we really need him to do a little Jackie Wilson, or Wilson Pickett? Sorry, I'm still chapped that he and Patrick are gone.

10:09 AM, March 18, 2006  
Blogger lorguru said...

Jennifer, your suggestions are great. You obviously know a lot about music, particularly 50's music.
I love your blog!

11:35 AM, March 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jennifer! i'm an avid fan of idol too...nice suggestions!

i don't know how to spread my webcomic about idol, maybe u can help me! it's free, i just want to share my humor about my favorite show.

http://blogodog.livejournal.com/

you can try it out, or ignore :)

peace!

1:20 AM, March 19, 2006  
Blogger Vernae The Whore said...

I'm still trying to get Barry out of my mind from last season...gag.

This should be fun!

Great entries as always.

I think I'm going to just make graphics and send everyone your way...you're that darn good at this woman!

~V~

4:22 PM, March 19, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

The girl just don't got the pipes for Patsy. Hopefully she's got some guidance, steering her FAR away from territory she has no business being in.

The problem with Patsy is that she was so brilliant she made every one of her songs sound so easy and effortless.

6:09 PM, March 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!