Wednesday, March 22, 2006

one less fanilow to warble...

It's execution night and time for one of the little Fanilows to get drop kicked to the curb, destined to keep on walkin' the line after midnight in the still of the night until he or she develops a fever. Oh boy. At least he or she won't hurt anymore. Or hurt us.

In my normal morning after cruising, I am seeing universal love for Mandisa's performance and a range of critiques for all of the others. After all, this IS American Idol. Nobody's supposed to agree.

There is rightful criticism, though, of the reviews for Chris Daughtry's performance. Unlike the week before, when he performed the Red Hot Chili Peppers version of a Stevie Wonder song, and made that clear, the fact that Chris actually performed a Live cover of Johnny Cash, all the while getting glowing remarks about originality and not compromising is smacking of duplicity. So, of course, I had to find Ed Kowalczyk's version of I Walk the Line, and sure enough, Chris did nothing more last night than cover a cover.

Now, I have no problem at all with contestants doing an alternative version of a theme night song, but, for those of us voters who may not know of another version (Carrie's rendition last year of Piece of my Heart comes to mind), to not mention or attribute the cover of a cover is a little sneaky. And certainly not original or uncompromising.

Whew. Got that off my chest.

And, as much as I consider myself a Fanilow, I really hope Barry stays in Vegas tonight. With only a half hour to cram in 17 minutes of commercials, another celebrity performance will mean another night without a crappy group number. And I miss the crappy group numbers. Never thought I'd say that, but without the crappy group sing, that means that the crappy commercial is the only thing I have to make fun of. And that's no fun.

Junkie to Idol: I will buy Barry's CD if I get a crappy group number. Thank you.

So, who's gonna be safe, and whose butt is getting close to the flame?

The safe ones are the usual suspects: Mandisa, Chris, Taylor, Katharine, Paris and Pickler. Ace is probably going to be okay too, considering fans don't like seeing their guy standing helplessly on the seal and tend to come out en masse the following week.

[Note: watch out next week for Ace, though, as he's following the path of both Amy Adams and Jessica Sierra, both put in the pimp spot on eleven night, after being in the bottom the week before. Each of them was booted in tenth.]

The ones most likely of standing with Ryan at the end of tonight's results are, of course, Lisa who will likely make a return visit, Kevin, who's perennially in trouble, Bucky, who really turned in a crappy performance and, unfortunately, Elliott, who is still struggling to find a fan base.

This season we have the benefit of Dial Idol who, after a little run-in with Idol attorneys, is back up, running its speed dialing software and giving us an unscientific idea of whose number carried with it the most and the least busy signals. Busy signals equal votes, the theory goes, so the fewer beeps, the fewer votes. It's an interesting theory and it's had a good success rate thus far, and if it's to be believed, Elliott is a goner, coming in last, so far behind the nearest contestant that he has his own zip code.

While it's an interesting topic of conversation, I still can't put my whole faith in its results, because there are so many variables, including text message votes, that aren't accounted for. I do, however, believe in a track record, and Dial Idol is earning one.

Therefore, because I've hedged enough, here they are:

Who I want: Kevin, Lisa, Pickler (Lisa)
Who should: Lisa, Kevin, Bucky (Lisa)
Who will: Lisa, Bucky, Elliott

And, despite what it appears, Lisa's schedule will suddenly be free.

So, what do you think?



tag: american idol

17 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I think it's unfortunate that Lisa will probably be the one left standing when the music stops. According to Dialidol, the one in trouble is Elliott (by a fairly wide margin) and that's not surprising either.

Both of those two really don't have an audience and they don't have masses of powervoters to keep them around like some of the other contestants who are inferior singers and performers (Bucky, Kevin, Kellie).

4:00 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Happy Hiker said...

Who I want: Kevin, Ace, Kellie (Kevin)

Who should: Kevin, Ace, Bucky (Kevin)

Who will: Lisa, Ace, Bucky (Lisa)

4:27 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Yeah, I know what you're saying about Elliott, but each week has proven that the one dialidol lists as last does not go. Usually it's someone higher. However, we've not had a week where one contestant was THAT far removed from the pack. That's what bothers me a bit about this week's results and why I refuse to believe that Elliott will go. Bottom three won't surprise me - disappoint me, certainly - but I just have to believe that Lisa has run out of lives.

Or at least hope.

4:32 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

That's what I'm waiting for too, anything from Nigel. Kev, Lisa, Bucky wouldn't be surprises, much less shockers, so if Elliott's there, I think it's more shocking than Ace, considering Simon already told him he's the best male vocalist in the history of AI.

But haven't heard a peep from the man. Don't want to either. ;o)

4:40 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

I agree about Chris. He is smart about choosing songs from the themes/lists that he knows have been redone. And I have no objection at all with that. I actually liked that version of I Walk the Line.

The problem I have is that there's nothing terribly original about covering a cover and if they're going to gush about originality and there are enough of us who will call him on it, it might come back to bite him. At least be up front with what he's actually doing. Cause, while I really like Chris, it is getting a little old seeing the same old, same old. Kinda reminds me of Ruben.

But I suppose it didn't hurt Ruuuuub any, did it? ;o)

5:00 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Christian Prophet said...

Of course I love Kellie. But the Holy Spirit's message over on the Christian Prophet blog talks about miracles being possible and specifically mentions Kevin.

5:16 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Well, it's obvious then that Kevin's got a mighty power dialer in his corner. ;o)

5:27 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

I thought it was odd that Randy would call Melissa on going mush-mouthed and fogetting a line, but wouldn't do the same to Chris.

Is R-Dawg playing favourites?

5:33 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Vernae The Whore said...

Well, You were dead on last week, so I'm going with what you said...although I will be mighty shocked if Elliott is in the bottome three...well okay maybe not total shock but he ain't going home...Lisa pack yo' bags....wish it was Smellie Kellie instead.

Was it just me and my hubby, or did Kellie appear to be cross-eyed, and a close relative of Anna Nicole Smith?

The dumb act irks me!

6:07 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Vernae The Whore said...

Funny thing about DialIdol, it shows how many morons are watching...if you go back to the Top 24, you see alot of people voted for Ayla, over Kat, Chris and Taylor...again....people aren't voting based on a performance.

People who don't want the better contenders in the finals should not be allowed to vote! ARGH!
I'm so mad, can you tell? I think it's funny though, kinda sweet, that people feel threatened by good talent and feel as if the underdogs deserve a shot at stardom.

Is Kellie doing something that I'm missing? My 11 year old has a good ear for music (decent music) and she tells me that Chris and Kat did the best last night, anyone want to argue with an 11 year old?

VOTE VOTE VOTE for the right reasons people!

8:12 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

Originally posted by vernae:
people aren't voting based on a performance.

Seacrest explicitly tells the audience to vote for their "favourite" not the best performances.

That's what makes American Idol a popularity contest not a singing contest. It is also the reason why the people who get lots of TV time do better than those who do not.

8:22 PM, March 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Lisa`s going bye byes. Bucky was not good last night either.

8:35 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Vernae The Whore said...

You are correct, Dave. Just another reason why Ryan needs to be shot...by me if possible.

Okay, enough of the gun talk..never touched one a day in my life, but I'm getting really close to it.

Who am I kidding, I wouldn't pass the psych test.

8:42 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger lorguru said...

Well, looks like Dail Idol was WAY off.

9:27 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Vernae The Whore said...

Who should: Lisa, Kevin, Bucky (Lisa)


Yup, yup, you da' woman!

'Should' is more important than 'Who is'...

Hey, what's a ballsy? Wonder who talked her into saying that? Oh, and I just figured out why Pickler freaks me out...ready for this?

She resembles a cyclops. If her eyes got any closer and focused any less, she'd be a dead-ringer.

Yeah, I have HDTV...you notice stuff like that when it's coming at ya 50' wide!

~V~

9:28 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Vernae The Whore said...

To purplvr:

THANK YOU FOR NOTICING...thought I was going crazy(ier).

Now, if we can just rid ourselves of Bucky, Paris, Lisa and Kellie, I'd be a happy Nae-Nae.

It's not going to go the way I want it to, and it hasn't since season one. I didn't want Ruben to win, nor Clay, but Clay should have....

Didn't want Fantasia to win, or the runner-up, Diana was it? So either way I wasn't happy.

Carrie? Eh, I don't watch CMT or any country music award shows so she's pretty much non-existent to me right now.

~V~

10:21 AM, March 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your comments as usual, got a good giggle out of them, Thanks Jennifer! I agree about Chris..I brought up the fact that it was misleading to us, who are not familiar with "Live's" version of the song. We were left feeling Chris had had a stroke of genius by rearranging the song to fit his style. It was disappointing that credit was not given where it was due. I enjoy Chris, love his voice. I was stoned for my comments lol So long Kevin! WHEW, glad that's over with...

1:36 PM, March 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!