Monday, March 27, 2006

monday bits & pieces...

I never enjoy the themes where the kids pull songs that have played on the radio in the last twenty years. Okay, so call me an old fogey, but I don't listen to top 40 stations, unless the electricity is MIA, and it's the only signal I can get. (I still can't listen to Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway without getting shivers from the five days I spent in the dark last year.)

So it should come as no surprise that I am not exactly giddy over this week's "Songs from the 21st Century" theme. I read recently that "the 21st century is the worst century for music since the 19th century." I laughed. Then I nodded in agreement.

Needless to say, all of the purported song spoilers, song suggestions, song rumors are simply sailing over my head, and I'm too uninspired to even go look them up.

But I do know that Johnny Cash covered a 1990s song by Nine Inch Nails. Hey Chris!

Actually my only suggestion this week is for Ace. After all, I'm still maintaining that Ace is gonna be history, because the trends must continue.

In season three, Amy Adams landed in the bottom three of twelve, got put in the anchor position in the week of eleven and never hit the seal, but got booted in tenth. In season four, Jessica Sierra landed in the bottom three of twelve, got put in the anchor position in the week of eleven and never hit the seal, but got booted in tenth.

Ace landed in the bottom three of twelve, got put in the anchor position in the week of eleven and never hit the seal.

He's toast.

So my suggestion is for Ace to sing
Bad Day by Daniel Powter. That way on Wednesday, he can sing during his funeral tape and get the whole freakin' song in before FOX cuts away to whatever the next show is.

My fear: somebody's gonna sing Kelly Clarkson. My nightmare: it's gonna be Pickler.

All Bets Are On!

Daughtry-gate might still be the topic of discussion (although I still haven't figured out exactly why), but it doesn't seem to have hurt him in the odds. Chris is still favored to win at this point in two of the online wagering sites.

Betdirect.net (as of 8:10 a.m. EST) has him at 6/4 odds, just ahead of Katharine at 14/5 and Taylor at 26/5. Who's bringing up the rear? Bucky at 100/1, just behind the 40/1 Lisa Tucker.

Bucky's also the heavy favorite to be banished this week at
Pinnacle. (If one is favored to lose, does that truly make one a favorite? 'Jes askin'.) Guess the folks over there haven't heard of the trend. It's gonna be Ace, I tell ya'.

Bet on it.

With Ten You Get Tour

Somebody questioned the fairness of only allowing the top ten finishers to go on tour if the show is going to narrow the final field to twelve. Why not take all twelve?

That's a question we've asked for years with no clear answer. (So if anybody has the real answer, please share.)

The best we can surmise is that, in season one, there were only 10 finalists, so, in the second season, when they upped the field to 12 they may have just concluded that costs, staging, etc. made it easier with ten.

But the better (if somewhat cynical) suspicion is that the powers that be did not want to deal with Vanessa Oliverez, the first one booted in season two, so they cut the tour group at 10 to prevent her from qualifying. (Season two watchers might remember that Vanessa was scripted to smart off to Ryan during her first post-performance interview, which led to boos from the audience and, at least in my opinion, a premature exit from the competition.) That speculation might be somewhat credible, considering that Charles Grigsby, the 11th place finisher, was also excluded from the tour, even after Corey Clark was disqualified a couple weeks later. Grigsby could have been added to the tour in Corey's place, but wasn't, and possibly because the producers knew that the liklihood of Josh Gracin touring was remote. And one substitution would have led to a second, so the season two tour went with eight instead.

And it's been at ten since.

That probably didn't answer a dang thing, but I tried.

If you're new to watching American Idol, and you have questions, feel free to leave them in the comments. Somebody will probably have the answer.

If not, we'll make something up.

20 Comments:

Blogger lorguru said...

Jennifer...you are a riot! I'm roflmao about your suggetion for Ace to sing Bad Day this week. You are TOO funny!

-lauren

9:08 AM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Frances said...

Jennifer, I'm a lover of your blog but you're picking on my guy - Ace.

I'm not delusional enough to think he'll actually win this year, but I think he deserves to stay around longer than Lisa and Bucky. In my dreams he'll even outlast the Pickle!

I've got my fingers crossed that Mandisa will make the top 2 because I think she's the most talented, but I fear that generic VCM or Chris are the chosen ones.
If you saw the Rolling Stone article you know what I mean.

Go here to see a scan if you haven't seen it already:
http://girls.fanmode.com/cutenews/data/upimages/airs_2.jpg

9:44 AM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

LOL, Frances, I'm not picking on Ace. I'd be saying the same thing about my boy Taylor. It's not Ace - It's the trend. And the trend must continue. ROFLMAO

(Now, of course, if Ace does get voted off, I'm going to literally fall of my chair... But I will also boast shamelessly.)

I need to get that Rolling Stone edition. I've heard it's an enlightening article.

9:53 AM, March 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Bucky should sing something by Gary Allan. They have similar country grumbles and I think he could easily pull it off. -Jenna

10:34 AM, March 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember after season 3 when the entire Top 12 were on "On Air With Ryan Seacrest" that Matt Rogers had said it was a business decision that 19 Entertainment had made to only take the Top 10.

4:10 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger lorguru said...

Does anybody know how they decide the order of the performances?
-lauren

7:39 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

All I know is that Nigel once said they decide during rehearsals, trying to start the show off big and finish it big, with the best performances. But going last, AKA the pimp spot, usually guarantees that singer a pass onto the next week. In five seasons only two singers going last have been booted the next night, and one of them was Clay Aiken on the S2 finale, so I don't really count that.

7:45 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

I think they go ask Simon when he wants to see Pickles, his little minx, then build the rest of the show around that.

12:05 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

They might ask Paula when does she think she will be too stoned to be coherent and go from there.

12:08 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

Of course, they could always just ask RanDawg when would he like to use "we got a hot one tonight" and put the best performance there.

12:09 AM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of online wagering sites, The Hollywood Stock Exchange does Idol, and is a pretty good measure of odds as well.

Plus it's free to join so you can "wager" on your favorites without any real money risk.

Here's the link to the 2006 Idol "stocks":
http://movies.hsx.com/special/idol2006/

They cash out as they get voted off (Melissa cashed out at $1/share, Kevin cashed out at $2/share, etc...)

On HSX, Katherine recently overtook Taylor...she's at $10.03 per share to his $9.64. Chris is still a huge favorite at $11.20 per share (the most a stock can cash out at is obviously $12).

6:34 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

I like the more current theme nights. I think it shows more of how someone would fare if they were on the radio today.

Big Band night is fine and all, but when was the last time you heard that on the radio?

While "songs of the 21st Century" is kind of generic, it gives each contestant wide latitude in picking something they can do well.

8:06 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

I really think what was on Simon's mind was a little animal that lives near water and builds dams.

8:08 AM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dave said- "Big Band night is fine and all, but when was the last time you heard that on the radio?"

I get your point. I really do. BUT, I think doing big band can really show a person's range. Either you have "it" or "x" factor or you don't. At this point though they ALL have to bring their "A" game.

To the person who commented about Pickler attempting a Kelly Clarkson tune......God I hope not!!!! And another thing.....I hope grandpa told Pickler to keep her mouth shut- take the criticisms from the judges and move on!

9:05 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

I agree about having the various theme nights, but I think they should stick with more current themes and more current artists rather than have a night of standards, 50s music, big band or Broadway showtunes.

10:05 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

I say a big YUCK to showtunes, after last year's fiasco, but I LOVE Big Band and standards. It shoves them out of their comfort zones, which is good for character and gives us all some great entertainment, even when we're laughing at how horrific they all are.

But I still want Screw your Buddy night.

10:50 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

How about Unchained Melody night? Make all of them sing Simon's favorite song. We could call it "Screw 'em All Night"!!!

11:11 AM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer- who makes the final decisions as to what theme will be performed each week?

11:34 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Gina, the producers decide the theme nights. Often the themes coincide with available guests, like Stevie Wonder, Barry Manilow and, coming up, Rod Stewart.

2:12 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger AlbGlinka said...

QUESTION: Why does even the best AI singer suck compared to real musical recording stars. (That is, all except for Kelly Clarkson who I adore.

I mean, really... close your eyes and listen and then listen to someone like Groban or Buble or anyone else actually selling records.

I', afraid to say it, but I think I'm over AI. :*-(

2:14 PM, March 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!