Monday, April 17, 2006

blue moon, you saw me standing alone...

Since it seems the kids are confined to the four volumes of Rod Stewart's The Great American Songbook series, I have spent some time clicking the samples to see if I can hear any of the seven remaining contestants in any of the songs.

What I have is a headache. I don't mean to be rude, but I have discovered that I am not a fan of Rod Stewart's interpretation of the standards. He needs to stick with Maggie. Cannot believe I'm going to actually type this, but I much prefer
John Stevens.

Did I just type that?

Nevertheless, the kids have just over 24 hours to perfect these perfect songs, with no "original" alterations, no covers of Live by covers of Sinatra doing a cover of Cole. We're either going to be transformed to the days of big bands or we're going to save on the cost of prescription sleep aids.

Okay, so I've narrowed my wish list. To be honest, choosing a song for Elliott, Taylor, Kat and Paris was the most difficult because this should be their night to shine, if they choose correctly and sing without annoying and extraneous embellishment. So because they have the potential to sing virtually anything in this genre, narrowing it to one was challenging.

On the other hand, Chris, Pickler and Ace posed a different dilemma, as most people are discovering. But I did my best.

And in the spirit of full disclosure, I will admit here and now that all of these selections are among my personal favorites, because, yes, I am supremely selfish and just want to spend that full hour tomorrow night being entertained by hearing some of my favorite standards sung well. Go ahead. Pelt me. But I'm self-centered that way.

And while I'm on the selfish kick, I want all of them to dress the part. I want to see 1940s attire on all of them. (Yes, Chris, I'm talking to you.)

Ace knows his days are numbered, so hopefully he will select a song that is well known, but not too terribly challenging, stay far, far away from the falsetto he loves but can't sing. So I'm choosing for him Blue Moon, even though the lyrics may be a bit prophetic. You saw me standing alone [having a Bad Day...].

What to choose for Pickler. I've seen recommendations for five of the seven, but few for her (and Chris). So I think her best choice would be Makin' Whoopie. She's a crazy, let it all loose kind of gal, and that's a fun little song that she could have some fun with.

And Chris. Oh my. While I think Chris has the voice to take any of these songs and blow us away, I see him revolting against the entire idea of getting shoved into the big band corner. Too bad mister, it's called playing the game. I really hope Chris doesn't phone this one in in protest, so I've chosen for him one of the most beautiful: I Wish You Love.

Oh good, now to the easy ones.

I have one wish. I want to hear Elliott, my favorite, sing You Send Me, my favorite of all of the available songs. That's what I want. I wanted it during 50s night.

I am so dying to see Taylor in appropriate attire, cause I know he's not going to disappoint me. And so, with that appropriate attire, I want What a Wonderful World. I want it bad. Really bad. Thank you.

Paris has been choosing songs that, in some respects, are too mature for her. Problem with the standards is that most are for mature performers. So my choice for Paris is A Kiss to Build a Dream On. It's a fun, beautifully melodic song which won't come off as awkward out of a teenager.

And Katharine, who I totally expect to see in the anchor "pimp" spot, has probably been drooling for this night. The minute I heard the theme I had one song for her, and I've never wavered, never even considered changing my mind, even though she can pretty much choose anything and, if she brings the volume down a few notches and keeps the meaning of the lyrics uppermost in her mind, will save herself another trip to the bottom. Someone to Watch Over Me is the perfect song for her. I hope she figured that out last week.

So those are my choices. Now all we have to do is wait.


SPOILER ALERT! Don't read if you don't want to know!

Elliott is not going to make my wish come true. Credible spoilers indicate he has chosen It Had to be You, which should also be wonderful. But not as wonderful as my selection.

Chris, it seems, will be choosing Night and Day by Cole Porter. Not coincidentially I'm sure, U2 has a version of this very song, arranged very close to the standards arrangement. How much you wanna bet that's what we'll hear tonight?

Rumors are flying furiously that Paris has been battling song clearance issues. (Like this theme wasn't chosen a month ago. Hello AI? Who's asleep at the damn wheel over there?) Seems she just received the go-ahead yesterday for her fifth selection. But no spoilers on what that selection is yet.

Stay tuned for further developments...

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just re-watched the Season 2 showdown between Clay, Ruben and Kimberly. When Clay sang "Mac the Knife," he was dressed in an open-collared tuxedo and was (as Paula said) ultra-cool!

I agree with you Jennifer...the group should all DRESS the part as well as sing it. This is more than just singing; it's performance. And what they wear is every bit as important as what and how they sing.

I think this week is going to be a tough one. They're all going to do well, so it'll be hard to send someone home.

As for picks: I posted mine under "A songbook for the ages" section. I like your picks, Jennifer, but have my own wish list. ;) But no matter what they sing, it should be good. I'm jazzed! Can't wait!

8:08 PM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

I don't care what they sing as long as either Ace or ABM gets whacked on Wednesday.

8:49 PM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger Sunshine said...

dave, can you refresh us on what your initials for everyone stand for? I recall you mentioning them all in your blog, but I don't remember.

I also made my list in "A Songbook for the Ages". My thoughts stay the same, only with the exception of Jennifer's spoiler on Elliott. I agree that Katharine has to get the hot spot this week... or give it to Elliott, because he doesn't deserve to be in the bottom 3 anymore!

9:27 PM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

Look for fAce to implode!

11:05 PM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Ace = possibly.

ABM = Not a snowball's chance in Hell.

(Sunny, ABM = Kellie Pickler, Abandoned by Mother girl.)

5:47 AM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

The other "Alphabet Contestants":

AWG - Angry White Guy, Chris Daughtry

DLS - Dances Like Spaz, Taylor Hicks

VCM - Vocal Coach Mother girl, Katharine McPhee

[robot voice=on]Warning! Warning! Shameless plug alert! Warning![/robot voice]

You can read the whole glossary on my blog.

8:16 AM, April 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris can't make Bluebirds and Sunshine believeable with a chain hanging off of him. -Jenna

8:36 AM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

ROFL, I was just talking about Chris' chain. That thing's GOTTA GO!

9:13 AM, April 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave

Maybe we could make something for Paris, too...

ANG - Anne Nesby's Granddaughter

or

HFG - Has Famous Grandma

Whatever the case, Ace better go next cos there are too many talented singers leaving before him.

Go Elliot and Taylor!

10:11 AM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

I'm sticking with Sergeant Hooks (from Police Academy) for Paris. I just cannot stand her talking voice.

I think tonight is going to be another sleeper.

What the hell is up with the themes this year?

We definitely need to try and get them to do a Screw Your Buddy Night™ or bring on the Wheel of Death™.

10:42 AM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Thanks Dave! I knew I saw it before, I just didn't scroll down enough and I couldn't remember them for the life of me. (Guess the Alzheimer's is kicking in early.)

11:52 AM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

I'm all for Screw Your Buddy Night, just because that would be the most entertaining show yet. But tonight has potential to be good, provided that they're careful what songs they pick...and that Ace doesn't throw in falsetto and Kellie doesn't twang up a Big Band song. (Not sure how that would sound.)

I love Big Band/Easy Listening music, so I just pray that they all do well tonight and don't butcher an otherwise beautiful song.

And as for Wednesday, not a big Rod Stewart fan, so I hope that the producers keep the Rod performance (if they have one) as painless as possible.

12:46 PM, April 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer...where'd you find this spoiler news? There was a lot of talk about the Night & Day song on the Chris fan sights. -Jenna

1:46 PM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

When I was driving to work this morning, the radio played Rod Stewart's Tonight's the Night. And I was, thankfully, reminded that I am a fan of his -- just not his standards CD.

And I found the spoilers all over the place, primarily on the various message boards I haunt. But it was "confirmed" by the one source that has been right all season, so that's the only time I will put it in, if I feel somewhat secure in its accuracy.

2:13 PM, April 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like Rod Stewart on the standards either. Hopefully he'll sing something from the 80's.

LONG LIVE SPANDEX!!!

3:37 PM, April 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work Jenn! Keep 'em coming!

~V~

4:16 PM, April 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!