Wednesday, April 22, 2009

seven singers doing donna summer...

Okay, so not all seven chose Donna Summer songs (and regrettably, none of them chose It's Raining Men - bummer), but you can't say (or sing) Disco without the Diva of Disco, so it's not surprising that nearly half of the group dug out the Summer Songbook.

Let's just sum up the top-seven-which-was-supposed-to-be-the-top-six episode neatly and concisely:

Kris and Adam rocked, which was good.
The others didn't, which was not good.
The show cut the filler crap, which was good.
Disco was, and is, a crap theme, which was not good.
The background singers were on the stage a lot, which was good.
The background singers were mostly better than the singer they shared the stage with, which was not good.
The band was good, which was good.
The judges were, as usual, childish, which was not good.
Lil's mother looked about ready to beat the crap out of the judges, which was hysterically good.
The camera panned away from her just as the good words were coming out of her mouth, which was totally not fair.

That about sums it up.

Here we go, from worst (in pretty much any order that you want to put them in) to first (which essentially ended up in a tie for me):

Anoop Desai (Dim All the Lights). What in the name of Donna Summer was this song? It's one thing to switch up a song to "make it your own", but when you turn it into something unrecognizable, that's called destroying a song. So if you're gonna destroy a song, better sing it well. Anoop did, but didn't. But I did like the pink sweater.

Lil Rounds (I'm Every Woman). My theory is this: the producers, hell-bent on deep-sixing Lil this week, gave her three song titles from which to choose, this one, Vincent [season two reference that Clay Aiken fans will understand] and Happy Feet [nod to the Syesha fan out there]. She shoulda stuck with the Donna Summer theme, because this didn't work. Although, Simon might have bought her a stay of execution with his prediction that it was her last time on the stage. (Note to Simon: that usually backfires!)

Matt Giraud (Stayin' Alive). Yes Matt, you stayed alive last week, but it wasn't entirely necessary to sing an ode to it. It wasn't as bad as some of Matt's past performances, but when Simon noted that the outing smacked of "desperation", I couldn't help but agree.

Allison Iraheta (Hot Stuff). Who is giving this girl fashion advice? It took me about 45 seconds out of the front of this number to realize I hadn't heard a word because I was distracted by Allison's wardrobe. It took me the next 10 seconds to figure out I wasn't enjoying it. Another Allison disappointment and Simon calls it brilliant. Allison was brilliant a few weeks ago, and Simon said she had no personality. Are we watching the same show?

Danny Gokey (September). I had a Season 4 flashback to Anwar when I heard that Gokey had chosen this Earth, Wind and Fire song, but I was somewhat surprised to find myself entertained, despite the attempt at dancing. (Note to Danny: you can't dance. So don't.) I think this was his best vocal outing in weeks.

Adam Lambert (If I Can't Have You). I loved the arrangement (and loved that Adam took the effort to credit Michael Orland for it). I loved the understated performance. I loved the lighting. I loved the suit. I did not love the hair.

Kris Allen (She Works Hard for the Money). I loved the arrangement. I loved the unexpected choice of a Donna Summer song (despite the infantile women's clothing banter that followed among the adolescents at the judges table). I loved the drummers on stage. And I loved the hair, which puts Kris, once again, at the top of my list. By a hair.

We're dumping two tonight!!! YAY for US!

Who should: Anoop, Lil, Matt
Who I want: Anoop, Lil, Matt
Who will: Anoop, Lil, Matt

Anoop will go first, and I will get a phone call from my 11-year-old grandson, lamenting about how unfair this show, America and life is.

Lil will go next and the camera will go to dark just as Lil's Mom makes a homicidal lunge at the judges. Film at 11.

And, since it's Disco week, David Archuleta, king of Disco, will be the featured guest.

Because THIS is American Idol.

14 Comments:

Anonymous JJ said...

My favorites in order of preference:
1. Kris/Adam
2. Allison
3. Danny
4. Anoop/Matt
.
.
.
.
5. Lil.

I saw the one song spoiler yesterday afternoon for Anoop and as I'd never heard of 'Dim All the Lights' before, I did a U-Tube google. The one I found of Donna singing it was quite similar to the way Anoop performed it so I don't agree with you that he destroyed the song. In fact, he didn't change it up nearly enough. However, there's no contest as to who was best and who was worst in my mind.
Kris best Lil Worst
Going home tonight should be Lil and either Matt or Anoop
Could be Anoop and Matt though I hope not.

12:03 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

"Lil will go next and the camera will go to dark just as Lil's Mom makes a homicidal lunge at the judges. Film at 11."

LOL

Disco Night was much better than I expected. Kris & Adam were my favorites of the night, and Lil was probably my least favorite, just because I think that song has been overdone.

I'm a little nervous about the double elimination and hope that tonight doesn't end in a shocker. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

12:16 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

I would pay real money to see Simon and Lil's mom in a cagematch.

I happen to like Adam's pompadour much better than his emo hairstyle. When he had his sit-down with Seacrest, I could not get over how tall Adam is and how broad that suit made his shoulders look.

In the lighting they had along with the greased up hair, Adam reminded me of "The King" without the big gold BK medallion and the robe.

I still wish Adam had done "It's Raining Men" or "I Will Survive".

12:19 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger jennifer said...

Lil's mom in a cage match. PPV. It would make millions.

Adam would have killed on either "Men" or "Survive." I don't remember anybody doing "Men" since Jasmine (ugh) in S3. It would have been the best comedic moment since Clay did "Grease."

12:28 PM, April 22, 2009  
Anonymous chrisROCKS said...

Great post, Jennifer!

And I LOVE the idea of Lil's mom and Simon in a cagematch. LOLOL!!

1:37 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

Even though she would have drawn an obvious comparison to LaToya, Lil would have been much better off trying something like "Don't Leave Me This Way" instead of Chaka Khan, which you know she could have done since Idol has paid Thelma Houston before.

2:19 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

If Lil's mom & Simon got in a cage match, my money would be on Lii's mom.

2:59 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

Whoops, I meant "Lil's" mom. Darn those typos.

2:59 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lil's mom would be the hands down winner because Simon is a sissy-girl deep down inside.

I'm with you on Anoop and Lil but I'm still a little scared for Allison.

4:35 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger jennifer said...

I would put my money on Lil's mom against all four judges in a tag-team.

I'm a little nervous for Allison too tonight, especially after peeking over there at dial idol. You know what happens when Simon tells somebody they're going home...

4:40 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

If you gave each of the judges a Louisville Slugger and put them in a cage with Lil's mom, my money is still on Mamma.

7:19 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger Mighty Mouse said...

Lil Rounds was the worst. She has been the BIGGEST disappointment ever.

Anoop wasn't that bad and neither was his arrangement of the song, IMO. Jennifer, I have to disagree with you when say Anoop's arrangement of his song was "unreconizable" and "destroying a song".

If you wanna talk "unrecognizable" and "destroying", I would have to say that Adam was better at that. I mean c'mon?! He went way over the line distinguishable with that arrangement. Yes, he sang it well but I happened to walk into his performance midway and it took me a LONG while before I figured out what he was singing.

Finally, why oh why oh why are they so goo-goo-ga-ga over Danny Gokey? His performance was terrible and worst yet, he looked like Taylor Hicks dancing on the stage. WAAAAAAAY overrated!!!

9:08 PM, April 22, 2009  
Blogger Mighty Mouse said...

Oops, typo! I meant to say:

"He went way over the line of being distinguishable with that arrangement."

9:16 PM, April 22, 2009  
Anonymous Nomad said...

Something Adam has going for him (besides a ton of raw talent) is that he doesn't do the irrelevant, distracting hand gestures the other contestants like to do

11:29 PM, April 25, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!