Wednesday, March 11, 2009

13 becomes 11: a SIMULBLOG!...

Twists and turns and executions. Oh My! And it's gonna be a kill two dreams with one episode!

Kelly Clarkson is scheduled to show up and of course we're all waiting on pins and needles to find out what the producers have in mind this week to shake the format of this season's show.

Because THIS is American Idol, and this is a SIMULBLOG, where I'm typing as the action is unfolding on the East Coast, with a publish at every commercial, so if you don't want to be spoiled, now's the time to go visit somewhere other than here. But come back to share your thoughts in the comment thread.

Because the show is getting ready to start...

Well obviously they're backing out on their promise to shorten the Wednesday result shows to 30 minutes, because our first execution is scheduled for the full hour. Guess it takes longer to whack two than it does just to eliminate one.

Ryan says 33 million votes were called in, the most ever at this stage of the show. Of course it could be that half of them were people misdialing trying to get through to that sex line that caused Alexis to get that weird number.

Ryan explains the new rule. They're giving the judges one - and only one- save for the season. Ryan invokes the names of Jennifer Hudson and Chris Daughtry. It requires a unanimous vote from the panel, and once it's been used, the deal is over. If the judges use the "get out of elimination free" card, no one will leave, but a double elimination will follow the next week.

Or at least I think that's how it goes.

And we get a medley of Jackson 5 hits. Sounds decent. Looks terrible. Scott's the best dancer of the group.
_____

I gotta get this off my chest. What on earth makes them think I'm going to sit through the commercials just to see a snippet of somebody's audition? If I wanted to watch the auditions, I would have watched them when they ran in January. There. I feel better.

We get a retrospective of last night's performances, followed by chit chat and the Crappy Ford Commercial.

Ryan starts with Michael Sarver. He is reminded of his reviews and is told that he's safe.

Allison is next. She's safe too.

It's Jasmine's turn. She does not look pleased. And for good reason. Ryan sends her to the seal.

Matt G. is told to stand and starts heading to join Jasmine. He's told to sit down, because he's not going anywhere.

Time for Kris. Megan is also told to stand. Kris is told to sit; Megan is told to join Jasmine. One of them is safe; the other isn't. Megan gets sent back to the sofa.

Jasmine is heading home and Ryan pretends like the judges might actually pull out their safe card. Meanwhile, she has to sing the song that sunk her.

Sometimes this show sucks.

Randy breaks the news that she is, indeed, finally gone. She cries like any teenager would.
____

Random thought: I watched Milk last night. Fabulous film. Well-deserved Oscar for Sean Penn.

It's time for Kanye West to sing. And he did.
_____

Time to start killing people again.

Scott is told to stand. He is safe.

Alexis' turn. She's safe too.

Danny is told to stand. The tension mounts... Danny is safe. Whew. That was close.

Time for Anoop. And he starts walking to the stage before even being told to.

Adam is told to stand. Tension mounts again. Adam barely gets through. Whew. Another close one.

Jorge and Lil are left. Jorge gets his reviews and then Lil. Jorge is sent to join Anoop.
_____

It's time for Kelly! Ryan says every week another Idol alum will be returning. That's great to hear. Note to Idol Producers: It is possible to assassinate one person's dreams, do a crappy group sing, show a crappy Ford commercial AND hear a performance from an alum in one half hour. Really. It is.
______

Anoop and Jorge wait center stage. Anoop is told he's safe, sending Jorge to join Jasmine at the garbage heap of last-place Idol finishers.

He gets to sing the song that killed him while the judges "discuss" whether to throw him a lifeline. I think we all know how that's gonna turn out.

Simon sums it up with a "no." So long Jorge.

See you next week.



28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! the tradition continues!

poor jasmine :*(
as an aside, she reminds me so much of paris bennett.

-betsy

9:22 PM, March 11, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell that guy who was just on should leave. What a joke! LMAO

He made Jasmine look good!

Dori

9:39 PM, March 11, 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

If you, the good people of the United States, will amend your Constitution to allow me to be president, I will run on a platform that has a single plank: All reality results shows will last no longer than 30 minutes.

Upon passage of such a law, I will abdicate the office in favour of someone imminently more qualified.

9:55 PM, March 11, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol you got my vote!

Dori

10:27 PM, March 11, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt sorry for Jorge because he was so likable and tried so hard to get rid of the accent (which they should not have asked him to do, in my opinion).

There's no way the judges were going to use their save the first night. It was mean to tease Jas and Jorge.

10:46 PM, March 11, 2009  
Blogger Mighty Mouse said...

Kanye, please pull up your pants. You are 32 years old. It just ain't right.

12:33 AM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger Ange said...

I'm so glad Nunez and Jasmine are gone. Although, I thought Sarver would be gone...I always forget about him.
I love love love Adam and Danny, pretty sure it'll come down between the 2 of them. And maybe Allison.

3:32 AM, March 12, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The judges already know who they will save. They've already pick their favorites.

Dori

7:23 AM, March 12, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen! So glad you are back! Idol just isn't the same without your blog! Steph

9:42 AM, March 12, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on all the "glad you're backs" :-) you were missed. Hope you're feeling loads better.
Last night went just as I had hoped. I wanted Jasmine to go and I expected Jorge to also get the axe. I think I like the new rule, especially since they only get to implement it once. However, it felt like a double blow to the singers who got cut. The public didn't want them and neither did the judges! Tough on the old self-esteem, don't you think?
Listening to Ryan comforting Jasmine made my opinion of him soar last night. He was wonderfully kind and supportive of her.

9:50 AM, March 12, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing... does Danny remind anyone of the Verizon guy??? Just a little bit?
Yes Danny, we can hear you now :-)

10:49 AM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

Vote for Dave! LOL

Seriously, I wasn't surprised by the elimination last night. The ones that I kind of figured would go, did. I don't see why they had to stretch it out to an hour. Just get it over with! I can't imagine what it must be like to sit on the couches and await your fate.

I do like the return of Idol alums each week; that's been a long time coming! I'm glad they're coming back instead of some random artist who just wants to promote their latest CD.

11:48 AM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:53 AM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

By the way, Dave, if you decide to run, I think you should promote "Screw Your Buddy Night." I'd love to see that. :)

11:55 AM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger Dawn said...

Welcome back Jennifer. Glad you're back at it because I absolutely love your reviews.

12:32 PM, March 12, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to JJ...Danny reminds me so much of Robert Downey, Jr., I could swear I'm looking at him in the flesh. For the first time in eight seasons, Simon REALLY struck me as being unbelievably CRUEL with his pointed "NO" when asked if they'd bail Jorge out. Gawd, I've heard the man be rude though he's usually on target, but Jorge seemed like the sweetest, most genuine soul and he didn't deserve such a slap in the face. A little sugar-coating might have been in order in this case. JMO...

2:06 PM, March 12, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Jennifer, we missed you! Hope you are feeling ok.

I am 100% happy with the bootees of last night. Jorge blew his chance with his cheesey rendition of that song (can't even remember what it was now). Why was Kanye on the show? What was his purpose? I LOVE that they will be having different Idols on every week. Taylor Hicks has a new album that dropped on Tuesday, and its soooo much better than the last one. I hope they have him on to sing his new single, its beautiful (Whats Right is Right). Anyway, I digress.... I enjoyed Kelly Clarkson even though I wasn't crazy about that song.

3:53 PM, March 12, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a second. When announcing the new "save" rule, Ryan brought up the examples of Jennifer Hudson and Chris Daughtry being eliminated prematurely. As I recall, he then went on to say that this rule would be in effect until the top five, then dropped. But Daughtry finished fourth, so this rule wouldn't have helped him at all.

Are the writers/producers that dumb or am I misremembering?

8:06 PM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

They're that dumb.

J-Hud is the only finalist who finished out of the top 5 who was genuinely robbed.

10:47 PM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger jennifer said...

Yes, they're that dumb. Or think we are. I don't think they would have saved Jennifer Hudson even. Simon did not like her, and the vote would have to be unanimous.

I liked Ryan's comment to Simon after the fact: "We could have saved Daughtry" to which Simon nodded. I guess they didn't hear their own rules.

8:26 AM, March 13, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer your right, Simon didn't like Jennifer Hudson. He always had something nasty to say about how she looked. Wasn't there a huge power outage in her state and no one could watch TV or vote?

It will be interesting to see who they feel is worthy to save.

Dori

11:09 AM, March 13, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES! The Verizon guy! I knew Danny reminded me of someone. And it's NOT Robert Downey Jr., for god's sake. RDJ is way cool, and Danny Gokey looks like a big dork.

But he can sing.

Daughtry was also robbed, and should have won that year. Can't believe anyone would think otherwise. He went on to sell a million records!

But you're right, it's a bogus rule because the people they mentioned couldn't have been saved anyway. Stupid show. Why, why WHY do I love it so much?

11:57 AM, March 13, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, why are there only six photos on the page?

11:58 AM, March 13, 2009  
Blogger jennifer said...

Because I have been sick, and the sidebar isn't high on my priority list.

12:04 PM, March 13, 2009  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

Are you feeling any better, Jennifer?

12:31 PM, March 13, 2009  
Blogger jennifer said...

Thanks for asking. I am working on getting better. It's going to be a slow process. I admit I'm getting frustrated, though. I feel tons better than when I went into the hospital, but overall, I would say I'm about 60 percent.

1:30 PM, March 13, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I hear Tuesday is Grand ol Opry night, wonder how that is going to be.

4:08 PM, March 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

could anyone tell me where you go to find out how the itunes songs have sold/compare to each other's sales?

1:06 PM, March 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!