Thursday, May 15, 2008

the morning after...

I have a love/hate relationship with the final three results shows. I love watching the footage of the kids' trips home. They're always filled with such emotion and such celebration. But I hate watching that last contestant leave thisclose to the end of the competition. Even if I'm not a fan.

I must say that Syesha was a class act throughout the entire show, even though, I think, she knew the writing was on the wall and no one could have stopped the inevitable David finale.

Trying to write and watch at the same time often leaves me missing some of the best parts of the show, though. So, after rewatching this morning, I just felt the need to comment on the last non-extravaganza results show of the seventh season as we prepare to head into the final week.

It was a treat to see all of the cast there in the audience. It took me a minute to recognize David Hernandez though. Has it really been that long since we were cracking jokes about male strippers and identifying Davids by number? Seems like a lifetime.

And exactly who was that raving, red-haired, red-lipped animal zipping all over the stage leaving Simon with the most classic WTF look on his face. That couldn't have been the same Fantasia that we all still remember sitting center stage singing Summertime. If this is what Broadway does to Idols, Syesha better think again.

One thing the hometown highlights really showed with all three is just exactly how exhausted these kids are.

My favorite word of the night: Gosh.

Note to Ryan Seacrest: stop reading the little cards and start comprehending them. And please stop blaming the staff on live television for mistakes. A simple "oops, our bad" would have been sufficient once you realized that Roberta Flack and Chaka Khan are not the same person.

It was nice to see so much footage of Mom-chuleta after all of these weeks of nothing but Dad-chuleta.

My favorite line of the series: Where did they park?

The funniest moment of the hometown visits wasn't even shown on the air: the Florida lady doing the handstand for Syesha. The stunt was well planned, but executed poorly. And after her first attempt to do the full handstand that had to be aborted and redone, she glanced at Syesha and said softly "that was my Brooke attempt." They shoulda kept that line in.

Mom Cook apparently has had enough of American Idol. Did y'all catch her emphatic "no" when Ryan told Cook brother Andrew they would see him next year?

My favorite teacher: Mrs. Gentry. Just goes to prove if you want to be worshipped, skip American Idol and go straight to elementary school teaching. Honest.

So we're down to the two guys, and people are going to have a field day figuring out all the various ways we can play on the David/David theme. Archuleta won the traditional coin toss following last night's live show and has chosen to go second, natch.

And it's time to start speculating about next week's grand finale, which is always filled with surprises, cheesy group numbers, and really bad dancing.

What are some of your best finale memories?


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Taylor Hicks having to sing that godawful 'Do I Make You Proud' song? He's a grown man! And Bo Bice singing 'I Wanna Be Inside Your Heaven' with a straight face. I wonder if David C will be able to get through his stupid song.

2:08 PM, May 15, 2008  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Hey Jennifer~
Do you remember which of the finalists that went first during the finale actually won? I can't remember who went 1st and 2nd each season. The only person that's coming to mind is Ruben.

The finales seemed to get worse and worse as the seasons progressed, but I kind of liked the whole "awards show" theme they did. Was that Season 4 or 5?

I also liked it better when the final 2 got to sing a new song of their choice, an encore from the season, and the dreaded "winner" song. Last year and the year before were pretty stupid.

Season 4 was my favorite finale, even if I had to see Anwar again. He looked like Lenny Kravitz that night anyways, so I just pretended he was him instead.

Blake having to sing "This is my Now" was pretty torturous, so hopefully that won't happen to Cook this year. No matter what happens, I'm still looking forward to next week's show!

2:15 PM, May 15, 2008  
Blogger jennifer said...

Ruben is the only one that I can remember, because until Anthony got booted in season four, Clay was the only one to get knocked off after singing last. And it's never happened since. Carrie sang last, Taylor won the toss and Blake won the toss, but handed it to Jordin, who sang last.

3:06 PM, May 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Season Five's finale show - the Burt Bachrach medley was thoroughly entertaining; (unless I'm mixing up my seasons) Prince performed; Elliott singing an awesome U2 song with Mary J. Blige; Elliott singing often.

I have a feeling David Cook will manage to do just fine with whatever cheeseball song they have for him, because he'll rock it out - if he can sing Roberta Flack's song and sound cool doing it, he can sing anything.

3:26 PM, May 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like both Davids and either one will be fine with me as the winner. After seeing what happened to four of the other winners over the past seasons, it really doesn't matter who wins.
Especially since those particular four are not doing too well.
Connie

3:42 PM, May 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How obvious was it that the fix was in on the final?

The crap songs the producers picked for David A and Syesha to make sure David C made it in and Syesha didn't slip through accidentally.

They knew David A would be OK with the voters no matter what, but they had to set David C up to win the night.

4:10 PM, May 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the above anonymous poster:

Huh?

While I want Arch to win BAD... Cook is awesome! They didn't have to set up a thing to get the Davids in the finale.

They're both great.

11:27 PM, May 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't go so far as to say they set up David, but I would say their Syesha choice put her well in the hole. Had she done something original with Fever, perhaps she could have overcome the slap.

more importanly, Jennifer, have you noticed yet the announcement that Taylor will be playing Teen Angel in Grease from June 6 thru Sept 7?? I suppose the tv grab for the leads didn't work so well so now why not leverage Idol? haha good move on their part I say :)

i don't think the coronation song really matters. It's kicking butt with the other 2 that matter more. No one expects miracles with the crap song, so doing good on the other 2 can really make a difference.

JJ

2:23 AM, May 16, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Two words: Season Five!!!!

9:26 AM, May 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!