Tuesday, May 06, 2008

odds at four mean tamyra...

The field is down to four, and that only means one thing: a shocker could be afoot.

Historically this is the week of the unexpected. In season one, Tamyra Gray looked to be a lock for the final three showdown with the other front runners Mr. Guarini and Ms. Clarkson. Little did anyone expect that upstart Nikki McKibbin would turn in two memorable performances to great reviews and Tamyra, after not missing a note throughout the season, would turn in a memorably bad rendition of New Attitude and find herself the first victim of the final four curse and the creator of a new verb.

We still refer to talented contestants waving goodbye while considerably less talented ones remain to sing another day as being tamyra'ed. And fourth place just seems to be the place where all the cool kids hang out. At least in the odd-numbered seasons.

Just ask LaToya London, who got tamyra'ed in season three by the entire state of Hawaii. Or season five's Chris Daughtry, who got blindsided by Elvis.

It's pretty much a consensus that the show is aiming for a battle of the Davids for a season seven finale. Hell, even Simon is going on the record. So that leaves Jason Castro and Syesha Mercado to battle it out for that valuable third spot, the eligibility to make the finale and, most importantly, a trip back home to parades and proclamations.

Or does it? It is an odd-numbered season, after all. And with ratings down, what better way to stir buzz than to see one of the presumed Goliaths struck down by a rock - on rock and roll night.

The spoilers are creeping in and, as usual, Jason's songs have been leaked early. There's no verification, but this source hasn't been wrong all season, and it seems Mr. Castro has chosen I Shot the Sheriff and Mr. Tamborine Man.

TMZ should have the verified song spoilers in a couple of hours, and when they're up, I'll be writing 'em down.


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally see Jason singing "Mr Tamborine Man", but I'm not sure about "I Shot The Sheriff". Maybe its because I'm not crazy about the song.

Dori

4:04 PM, May 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm, interesting choices.. not what I would have chosen for him but he just might do it! Especially Mr. T Man.
I'm with you Dori, never much liked "I Shot the Sheriff"
I'm kind of blah about tonight's show. I miss Michael Johns and Carly. I'm happy Brooke is gone.. she would NOT have done well tonight me thinks, but the previously named could have been great!
I'm certain David Cook will blow us all away tonight.. I hope David A can come with something a little shocking to rouse us from the stupor he's put us all in. Syesha will be Syesha and Jason??? Will he "bring it" tonight?? He really needs to if he's going to make it to final three.

4:20 PM, May 06, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

The only shocker that could possibly happen this week would be for David Cook to get canned. However, I can't see that happening.

For one, assuming they get a wide-open catalog, this his his theme night.

Second, do you know what would happen to the show's ratings if there were anything but an All-David Finale?

People would stop watching, I guarantee it. Hell, even I might not watch the finale if it were The Arch vs. Castro or Syesha.

4:43 PM, May 06, 2008  
Blogger jennifer said...

Cook's not going anywhere. If either of the Davids gets bounced, it's gonna be Archie. A finale w/o Cook will be worthless and make this entire season worthless.

Kinda like S5 w/o Daughtry and/or Elliott.

4:59 PM, May 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soul Patrol :)

5:03 PM, May 06, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

At least season 5 had someone who was a nice guy and great performer in Taylor and some nice eye candy in K-Mac.

Even an all-David finale lacks some of the luster of past seasons (Bo/Carrie and Rueben/Clay, for example).

Personally, I think Cook is secretly hoping he gets whacked tomorrow night so he can go on to prolonged success like Chris D. and not fall off the face of the earth like Fantasia.

5:13 PM, May 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mr. T-man" is an okay selection for Jason, but "I Shot the Sherrif"??? Not so much. Nobody but Clapton should be doing that song! Does anyone remember Deputy Brandon Groves' audition with the same song?? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2wamCILBZQ

I don't see either of the Davids going home this week, but as you said Jennifer...it *is* an odd numbered season. Crazy stuff happens in the final 4! I just hope DC doesn't go home this week. I want him in the finals. But as I've said before, I do NOT want him to win this thing! That's career homicide.

6:39 PM, May 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a feeling Jason is going to reggae-up "I shot the sheriff" which will be cool.

Season five was the best because of ELLIOT!!!!

(whoever said "soul patrol" just cracked me up)

7:52 PM, May 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!