Thursday, February 28, 2008

more killings!: a SIMULBLOG!...

Four more human sacrifices are on tap for tonight. I think this is still the only place where the murder (of hopes and dreams) is legal. And celebrated.

We are such benevolent folks.

Anyway, benevolence aside, this is a SIMULBLOG, which means I'm typing fast and furiously as the action is unfolding on the east coast, so, if you don't live in that time zone and want to be shocked, you need to leave. Now. Because I'll be hitting the publish NOW button at every important stop. And if you want to be totally spoiled, just keep hitting the refresh button. New stuff will appear. Eventually. Unless I'm thoroughly engrossed in a commercial. (And if I am, I'll critique it too.)

Because THIS is American Idol!

Let the group sing begin!!

_____

Has anyone yet seen Taylor in the opening credits? Just askin'.

Ryan tells us that 31 million votes were sent in last night - unprecedented, he says. And then there is the requisite unnecessary banter between him and the panel. Yawn.

GROUP SING! It's a 70s medley! And, despite a band that is far too loud and some rough transitions, it's really good! This group seems to actually know how to sing as a group. We haven't seen that in a lot of seasons.

We get the pointy pose ending and it's a cut to commercial.

_____

Ryan has the guys on the sofa of death and destruction. We are treated to the highlights of Tuesday's performance episode. I'm liking the little bits of the off-stage moments that we didn't get to see.

Ryan makes the back row of Michael, Jason C., Chikeze, Jason Y. and Danny stand. Michael is told to sit. So is Chikeze. Jason Castro is told to relax, in a roundabout way.

Danny looks about to throw up. And Jason Yeager is told he's singing tonight. He doesn't look shocked. Neither do we.

Ryan asks him if he knew he was going. He gives the obvious answer. Then they begin to fill time as the judges give him parting advice.

He performs the Doobies about 50% better than the last time, and the guys give him big guy hugs as he waves bye-bye.

_____

Now it's time for the highlights of girls night. Were there highlights?

The girls are lined up on the sofa. Ryan stands the row of Kristy Lee, Amanda, Asia'h, Alexandrea and Brooke. He sits Kristy down. Asia'h is safe. Brooke is told to sit.

Alexandrea is told she's hitting the road. This is not right.

The judges give her the "keep trying" speeches, and Alexandrea tries to keep it together as she sings her last song.

So long Alex-and-Rea. You shoulda never sang a song about leaving. Happens every time.

David #1 is near breakdown when she rushes from the stage to give him big loving hugs. Aww. That was sweet.

_____

Now Ryan is asking the front row of women to stand. Carly, Kady, Syesha, Ramiele and Alaina do what they're told.

Carly is told to sit. So is Ramiele. And Syesha. Alaina and Kady are called to the seal. Kady is told she's safe and Alaina looks shellshocked. That is totally wrong. She's crying so hard she refuses to sing. Ryan explains that people have to leave. Paula tries to cheer her up. Alaina apologizes for crying on television. Ryan gives her the choice to sing or not. The girls surround her and offer to help. That's cool. Everybody is crying, including the guys, and swaying to the music.

Bye Alaina. You're right - your eyes are not the first to cry.

_____

Ryan tells us that Ruben has recorded a new see-ya song for the kids. And he tells us that the theme for the top 12 - because they're the BEST EVER - will be the Beatles songbook. We then get reminded of last year's Idol Gives Back because - yes, hold on to your checkbook - it's gonna happen again. Hopefully they'll remember that we watch this show for the idols, so they'll invite more than just Kelly and Carrie back for this celebration. (Actually I already know that Elliott Yamin is going to be one of the African correspondents, so hopefully that's a good sign that Idol will remember what got them here.) Wednesday, April 9 is the date.

_____

The three Davids, Robbie and Luke are on the firing line as the last of the executions begins. God, I hope whoever it is doesn't cry. I don't know if I can handle any more tears.

Luke and Robbie are called to the seal. The Davids are told to sit.

They are reminded of their reviews, and Ryan says it's the end of the line for Robbie Carrico. Robbie blames bad song choice and the judges offer advice, which, I don't think, makes him feel any better.

All of the dead people gather on stage to watch their collected funeral video.

Next week we'll reduce the field - finally - to twelve. Are we safe in presuming that they'll be singing the songs of the 1980s?

See you then. Unless somebody else's mug shot appears.

So...your assessment of the evening?



35 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sad that Alaina is gone. Amanda should have went this week in her place. Kady Malloy should have gone....Alaina was so cute and she had potential. Kady looks good but there is nothing there to back up the looks. Oh, this show makes me so mad!!!!

9:24 PM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Sunshine said...

I'm 75% pleased with tonight's killings. (and 1000% please with Beatles theme in 2 weeks!)

I am so excited that Alexandrea went home tonight! I was so sick of hearing the judges compliment her for sucking. Not to mention of was sick of having to type out her incredulously long name! Alaina was somewhat of a shock; it should have been Kady. (I would have preferred Asia'h though, she's thinks too much of herself).

Jason Y was bound to be kicked off, that one was obvious. Robbie was probably another one that I didn't expect, but I wasn't upset by it. Maybe that wig thing creeped people out. I think it was just that we have a better rocker in David Cook. One is enough!

I think everyone is going to REALLY step up their game next week. This is the spot into the top 12. It's going to be a fun one! Till then....

~Sunshine

(P.S. Did I mention how excited I am about Beatles week?)

9:26 PM, February 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright who was the girl in the balcony for Robbie? She looks like the new girl Dr. on House or maybe Jessie from So You think You Can Dance? Anyone have any ideas?

9:30 PM, February 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was surprised that Alaina got voted off. I wanted it to be Amanada, Who sucks!!!

Wasn't surprised with the boys. Glad the fake Rocker Robbie left, wig and all.

Chris Daughtry was the real deal and everyone knew it. He didn't have to work at it like Amanada and Robbie.

Dori

9:37 PM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

I don't know if I'm ready for the Beatles songbook. Three weeks ago we were in Las Vegas and saw the Cirque Du Soliel "LOVE" tribute to the Beatles. It was amazing. Simply amazing. I don't think I'm ready for this group to pick the wrong songs and then trash them.

9:40 PM, February 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's supposed to be "Amanda". I have to start looking at what I write. DA

Dori

9:42 PM, February 28, 2008  
Blogger Sunshine said...

Oh man, Driller, I didn't even think of that. Sometimes the best music should be left to the original artists. Although, the cast of Across the Universe, did an INCREDIBLE job with every song they sung. But I know what you mean...hopefully they will do the Beatles justice!

P.S. Dori- I liked wrong spelling better. Amanada, it has the word "nada" in it. That's what I feel Amanda is worth!

9:46 PM, February 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunshine, your right. LOL

Dori

9:57 PM, February 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was kinda hoping "Idol Gives Back" was a one time thing. I guess it sounds terrible to say that. I wouldn't mind it so much if they had more of the Idols past and present on.

Dori

10:09 PM, February 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog Jennifer! You always make me laugh. ;)

On a previous comment, I predicted Robbie and Jason *Castro* to go home tonight. That was a typo. I meant Robbie and Jason Yager. I'm happy Jason C. is still with us!

I agree with the choices for the guys, but not the girls. I really thought Amanda should've gone home this week. She was dreadful (and I was a huge fan of hers up until this week)! I was sorry to see Alaina go home. Between her and Kady, it definitely should've been Kady saying bye-bye.

Ah well. One more week til we get our top 12. Personally, I think this is a guy's year. And my prediction for top 3 guys are the David Archuleta, David Cook and Michael Johns. But I hope, hope, HOPE that David Hernandez makes it to the top 4 overall. I like him so much and will be buying his CD when it comes out.

2:29 AM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

I'm hoping for a David trifecta when the Top 12 rolls around. At first, I thought the no-face time was going to kill David H., but he's had a strong showing over the past two weeks, so there's a chance a quarter of this year's Top 12 could have the greatest name in the world.

7:29 AM, February 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like all the David's, but wish they do something with David Cook's hair.

Dori

9:29 AM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

Unfortunately, David Cook appears to be a young victim of male pattern baldness. He is combing it forward and over as fast as he can grow it. At some point he will either follow the lead of Chris Daughtry or Elton John...shave it or buy it off the rack.

9:56 AM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

This is unrelated to American Idol, but my dad did the combover thing for years and he looked awful. At first we tried to be gentle (buying him spray-on hair for his birthday; sending his name to Hair Club for Men, etc.), but that didn't work. So later, we told him outright and still no luck.

It wasn't until he got remarried and my stepmom threatened to cut it off in his sleep that he finally acknowledged that baldness happens and he gracefully let it go.

Because of that, I swore an oath years ago that I would never colour my hair or do the combover. If I start to go bald, I'm either going to wear it short and accept my new circumstances, or go all shao-lin, shave it off and start wearing a David Carradine kung-fu monk outfit.

10:04 AM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger jennifer said...

And what's funny is that most men look SO much more attractive bald than with the combover.

I don't think they get the full makeover treatment until the finals. Look what they did with Clay and Elliott. I bet they're salivating at what they can do with David C.

10:13 AM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger LEN said...

buying him spray-on hair for his birthday; sending his name to Hair Club for Men, etc.
Dave - that was gentle? :-)

11:59 AM, February 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess the "idol execs" don't have to worry about this anymore...
http://www.tmz.com/2008/02/27/idol-contestant-wigs-out/

12:10 PM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Sunshine said...

My ex tried to do the same thing with his hair, he kept it short but was still able to bring most of it forward. It looked ok, until he needed a haircut and you could tell the mass on the top of his head was from from the back of his head. In my opinion, well I'm just glad he's gone.

On a better, more "idolistic" note, I was thinking about who the next 4 contestants who I want to get the axe next week.

For the guys, I couldn't make up my mind, especially since Chikezie went back to impressing me again on Tuesday. So with that, I would have to choose Danny and Jason C. They both have good voices (i would rather all the guys stay and boot 4 girls instead), but I'm sick of Danny's little attitudes and as much as his eyes are awesome, Jason's dreads still give me the creeps.

For the girls, well it wasn't as tough a decision. Amanda is an obvious choice! (Can you imagine her trying to sing a Beatles song? Helter Skelter is up her alley!)The other boot would go between Asia'h and Kady. To be honest, I would prefer keeping Kady for the top 12, and letting Asia'h go. That way they are both gone quickly. If Asia'h makes the top 12, she might stick around, but Kady will be booted on Beatles night for sure.

I can't wait until next Thursday! Jennifer, you have to make a blog on our choices for which Beatles songs you think the top 12 will individually sing!

12:16 PM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

I was a little surprised that Alaina went home; it should have been Kady. I thought Alaina had a lot of potential.

As for the guys, who didn't see it coming with Jason Yeager? He had a decent voice but he also had two bad weeks.

In regard to Robbie, I have to agree with the judges: the whole rocker thing never felt real with him. Of course, maybe it's because I actually saw his old group (Boys & Girls United) in concert once. (My best friend dragged me there.) He was a better pop singer than a rocker, in my opinion.

12:38 PM, February 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will forever disagree with the gender equality - un until the finals. (what is it, 10?)

They are not doing themselves any favors!

I love Dave's idea on voting singers OFF instead of voting to keep them on. Somehow they must make more money on the later!

Thanks Jennifer for the entertainment. Your nearly as fun as the show itself!

12:58 PM, February 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops... ignore that typo in the above post. My keyboard isn't working. ;)

1:00 PM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

If he makes it to the finals, Jason Castro could do the George Harrison song "My Gutiar" on Beatles night. He is perfectly suited for it.

1:51 PM, February 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought alexandrea was great and should have stayed. i'd much rather the two boots had gone to amanda and kady. or that other blond girl.

i was hoping robbie would whip off his wig when he got the boot!

2:17 PM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger BeckEye said...

You liked the medley? Ack. I hate medleys as a general rule, but this one didn't have much harmony. I can never decide which I hate more - the results night medleys or the awful Ford commercials.

3:44 PM, February 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here LMAO at Dave giving his dad spray on hair and sending his name to Hair Club for men.

Dori

4:51 PM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

One of these days Dave is gonna have kids and that chicken is going to come home to roost!

Like Jennifer, I don't think I'm looking forward to Beatles week. I recently watched a special on TLC that was a backstage look at the production that went into the Las Vegas Cirque Du Soliel show "LOVE" tribute to the Beatles. When you realize that these guys were singers, songwriters, muscians, and performers, you realize just how big a hill that the AI contestants must climb to do any Beatles song justice. I am reminded of the Elton John week a few years back. All that show proved was how talented Elton John really was, and how poorly the contestants did trying to cover his music.
I love the Beatles music, but I think I see a train wreck coming.

6:05 PM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

The world is in luck: I don't have any children (that I know of) and Mrs. High Lord isn't having any more, so there will be no little Daves running around to terrorise the rest of you.

The good news is that I have stepchildren so I plan on going straight to the role of doting grandparent without having to deal with urchins of my own.

8:30 PM, February 29, 2008  
Blogger Sunshine said...

The AP did a video on yahoo on the eliminations from Thursday night. At the end, the woman said that she thought Syesha would go home next week and that although she was pretty, she didn't have a good voice. I'm a little ticked at this, because she named her as the only one to go, and I think she's FAR better than some of the other girls!

Here's the link in case you didn't see it:

Tearful Elimination

2:39 AM, March 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave...lol @ shao-lin!

And thank you for deciding to go chrome-dome gracefully. Sooooo much better than the comb-over!

drilleraa...I'm with you. I, too, smell a train wreck. My husband and I were just having this discussion about Beatles week. They were as much (if not more) about the music, the instrumentation, as they were about the vocals. My question is, who's going to do "Yellow Submarine"??

Oy.

4:37 AM, March 01, 2008  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

They could do a "Crappy Group Sing" of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

The Beatles evolved pretty quickly from a "bubble-gum" band with "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", to real artists and musicians with stuff like Elanor Rigby, and Lady Madonna. "Rubber Soul" was probably the the album that turned the corner for the group. It included songs like Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Michelle, and Drive My Car. It was follwed by a string of classic albums like Revolver, St. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album, Yello Submarine, Abbey Road, and Let It Be. Nope, I just don't see any group of AI contestants tackling this anthology of music with any great success.

Side bar: Buy the "Love" soundtrack. It is wonderful.

8:55 AM, March 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you guys as far as Beatles week goes. I say "Let it be".

Some things you just don't mess with!

Dori

10:47 AM, March 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang! I hope this doesn't mean David Hernandez will get the boot...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080304/ap_on_en_tv/idol_stripper;_ylt=AtuDMqI1KBE7laF5G47AHDVRF78C

He's my favorite vocalist and I don't want to see him go. :(

4:05 AM, March 04, 2008  
Blogger Sunshine said...

I saw that too! There's no new news to blaster at celebrities right now, so they go for AI contestants! I hope it doesn't ruin anything either. It didn't for Antonella last year, she just got booted cos she sucked! David is awesome, I think he'll get the pass on through. And who cares if he was a stripper....the guy's got a smokin body!!

2:53 PM, March 04, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

It will depend on whether he told Idol about this in advance or if he hoped no one would find out. In the past, singers who have disclosed their behaviours which might bring some negative publicity have been let through (Bo, for example) while others who have been less than forthright have been let go (Frenchie).

I think David H. is on the bubble right now anyway, so he might not have even made the Top 12. On the other hand, this might get him just enough votes to advance to the next round.

4:37 PM, March 04, 2008  
Blogger jennifer said...

I agree with Dave.

Now I want to see the nekkid photos, please...

4:43 PM, March 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!