Wednesday, February 21, 2007

the 12 gals: saving the season...

After boring us senseless last night, the guys get to sit in the audience and watch the ladies show them how it's done, not that it's going to take much to do that.

But what starts strong, starts sliding downhill, and it suddenly dawns on me that we're all in for a very long season. And then things are rescued at the end and it dawns on me: tonight we heard the next American Idol.

What the men lacked on Tuesday, the women more than made up for. Well, some of them anyway.

So here they are, the early reviews, subject as usual to review and revision, and as always from
absolute worst to absolute first.

Antonella Barba (I Don't Want to Miss a Thing). I didn't have a lot of vocal hope for the other half of the Barbie twins. And Antonella doesn't disappoint me. Beauty can't cover missed notes. And missed missed notes. And Antonella had tons of them. She blames it on her nerves. I blame it on her. But Simon helps her by telling her she's a goner. That's usually worth a few hundred thousand votes.

Nicole Tranquillo (Stay). Oh my. What a mess. Randy calls her performance "rough." Paula says it's "out of this world." Simon invokes the killer term "indulgent." I called it painful.

Alaina Alexander (Brass in Pocket). Paula tries to soften the reviews. Simon says it's a mess. Hey Simon, I already called somebody else's song a mess. Oh okay. It was a mess. But was it a bigger mess? I don't know. I call it a messy tie.

Leslie Hunt (Natural Woman). Uh oh. Leslie hits the notes, but leaves me with a big "so what" with this song, unlike Kelly Clarkson in season one. Simon gives her the best critique when he says she looks like she's horribly uncomfortable. I, personally, was uncomfortable too. Leslie has just booked a ticket out of Hollywood.

Amy Krebs (I Can't Make You Love Me). At least we get to see the various stages of Amy's journey, since we've not been privileged so far, and she decides to sing another one of those oversung, overdone Idol tunes. The judges basically call her boring. I think she's better than three-quarters of the guys, but I have to agree. She's unmemorable.

Haley Scarnato (It's All Coming Back to Me Now). The judges are less than impressed with Haley's song choice, calling the entire performance "boring" but coming after the mess that was Nicole, she wasn't all that bad. She says the power ballads are her style and it's who she is. Who she is won't be long, though

Stephanie Edwards (How Come You Don't Call Me). Stephanie, one of the girls we've not been privy to see much of, gets the lead-off spot of death, but knocks one out of the park and shows up every single one of the guys. The judges love her, even though Randy calls her a bit pitchy. I think she's terrific. The guys, however, stifle their applause when she's told she outperformed all of them. I think that's funny. And true.

Jordin Sparks (Give Me One Reason). The judges suggest that Jordin push herself further than this number. I can't help but be surprised, because her performance pushed me over. I like this girl. I like her a lot. I give her three sugar lumps.

Gina Glocksen (All By Myself). Gina all but cements her spot in the finals with her performance, not surprisingly. She's simply terrific, whether she fully hit that Celine note or not.

Sabrina Sloan (I've Never Loved a Man). Wow. Where have they been hiding this girl? She gets the LaToya London award for best performance by an unknown woman. Wow. And wow again. If Jordin gets three sugars, Sabrina gets three wows.

Melinda Doolittle (Since You've Been Gone). I cannot begin to count the ways I love this woman, the former background singer who's determined to take center stage. She's magnificent, the judges love her, and so do I.

LaKisha Jones (And I'm Telling You). Ryan makes sure to tell everyone that this song may win JHud an Oscar, but LaKisha pretty much puts Jennifer Hudson's memory to rest. LaKisha gives a lesson on stage presence, and Simon tells the other 23 to book their flights. The girls all look really bummed after that remark. They should.

So tomorrow we'll execute four of the kids, and be treated to a visit by season three champ Fantasia. And it will be the first simulblog of the new season. YAY!

So, who's getting Melinda'd, uhhh, I mean knocked off?

Who I want: Antonella and Nicole
Who should: Antonella and Nicole
Who will: Nicole and Alaina

See you tomorrow. Now...discuss!

Video for each of them is now up at Rickey's.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonight was more like it!!! I think it will be one of the girls this year for sure. Sabrina, Jordin, (she's adorable) Haley, surprised me, better then I remembered, Melinda, Gina and Lakisha, From Flint, Michigan, go girl. It was a fun night. dk / Dori

10:11 PM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger Frances said...

Jennifer, I think you need to switch Stephanie and Gina, but other than that you are spot on.
I'm really anxious to see who'll go home tomorrow night.

10:28 PM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Antonella was horrible tonight. Nicole was pretty bad, too, but I think she actually has potential if she picked a better song. I would like to see her another week. I would rather see Leslie go. But seriously, what an improvement over last night, right?

10:38 PM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger Dave said...

Even the worst of the girls (Antonella) was better than about half of the guys last night.

I think Lakisha, Melinda, Steffanie and Jordin laid a royal beat-down on everyone else. Randy basically telling the guys that they all sucked was funny, true and will probably get into some of their heads.

11:20 PM, February 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top 6 girls:

1. Lakisha
2. Melinda
3. Sabrina
4. Jordin
5. Gina
6. Stephanie

All the other girls are in another league - entirely

Alaina is adorable but not a fantastic singer. We will see her doing something else for sure. She is too cute.

Amy Krebs has a nice voice and if she makes it past this week she will show us something different but still won't make it far.

Haley should be singing on a cruise ship for a bunch of retirees.

Leslie should walk a few more dogs.

Nicole was forgettable and very aggressive

Antonella may have a chance to show us something else, but she won't be around long. She IS pretty, but this is not a beauty contest and you need the pipes to stay.

Who is getting the boot this week: Leslie Hunt and Amy Krebs

11:25 PM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger Ed I. said...

I think before everyone coronates Lakisha, remember the disasters that were Fantasia and Ruben. Lakisha can do a great impression of Aretha, but she is dead during the first theme week, unless it happens to be an Aretha week.

11:55 PM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger Chipperprime said...

Lakisha will be fine until the number of contestants dwindles.

People will become more and more reluctant to vote for someone with so little apparent self-esteem.

11:59 PM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger DrillerAA said...

I though Alaina was really rough. The second half of her number was not good. Further, I don't think she knows who she is, which is what Randy was trying to get her to think about. Don't be suprised if she is one going home...probably along with Antonella.

12:25 AM, February 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lakisha, Melinda, Jordin, Stephanie could easily be the top 4 as long as it doesn't become a beauty contest, or too many teeny bopper girls vote for one of the three cute guys in the competition. Never underestimate the power of the teenie weenies when it comes to skewing the results towards something absurd.

3:35 AM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Kat said...

I think Lakisha stole the show and should win it all but we all know that can be a death sentence because people assume she's so good that everyone will be voting for her and that they should give someone else a chance and she may end up in the bottom three because of it .. but even if she gets voted off she has nothing to worry about in my humble opinion.. the other girls I really liked were Melina Doolittle, Sabrina Sloan, Stephanie Edwards, Jordin Sparks and for the last spot hmmmm... maybe Gina Glocksen?... not sure on the last spot... Kathryn

6:36 AM, February 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of you except our Canadian buddy, forgot to mention Sabrina. Not only was her singing excellent, she is HOT!!!! Props to Sabrina Sloan everyone!

7:57 AM, February 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought all the black women were fabulous but Sabrina was my favorite.

Gina will make it, all the other white gals need to go model!

10:57 AM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think BFF Antonella will be sticking around for awhile. VFTW picked her to vote for and DialIdol shows her in the #2 spot. VFTW seems to have worked their "Magic" on TCFKS but we shall see tonight!! Can't wait!

12:09 PM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Dave said...

I think TCFKS and Antonella (I'm still trying to come up with something suitable for her) were picked by AI to be early TCOs (along with Sanjaya, BBB and CSM) so we'll see how long it takes to jetison them midseason (like they did to Constantine).

The TV time thing has been less blatant this year, but it's still paying off for those people who got early air time.

12:45 PM, February 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys its just started!!! I do think Lakisha stole the show, she was great, I'm from Michigan so you know I will be voting for her, but anything can happen. Winning Idol isn't everything either look at season 2,3 and 5? Not always has the best Idol won! (in my opinion) dk / Dori

3:23 PM, February 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lakisha=Mandisa

the best vocals don't always win, coughcoughTaylorcough

4:30 PM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Gina said...

I am a fan of Gina, Sabrina, LaKisha and Jordin. The guys...I don't have any fav's yet. Of course, I like Gina because I am also Gina! LOL!!

7:05 PM, February 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Stephanie sang, I was blown away. Then Sabrina sang, and I was even more impressed. Then Melinda sang, and I said, "There's our next American Idol!" (I've loved her from audition 1.) But then Lakisha sang, and oh my! She knocked it out of the ballpark. It'll be interesting to see what happens on theme weeks.

Based on last night's performances, my list of best to worst is this:

Lakisha
Melinda
Sabrina
Stephanie
Jordin
Gina
Nicole
Amy
Leslie
Haley
Alaina
Antonella

Who I want: Antonella, Alaina
Who should: Antonella, Alaina
Who will: Antonella, Leslie

8:16 PM, February 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!