Wednesday, May 06, 2009

rock and roll and peeing your pants...

Leave it to American Idol to mangle its set for Rock Week. At least the guitars were left unharmed. Too bad the judges were too.

So Slash is the mentor, and he took the kids to a Sunset Strip club to make everything "more authentic." So they made the foursome pair up into two duets to allow each of them two songs without allowing us the pleasure of eight songs.

Shattered set. Slash. Sunset strip. Shared songs. Stupid Simon. Yeah. That about covers it last night's Rock night on the show.

So I'll try to summarize my thoughts on the night, for what they're worth, but, as always, from worst to first.

Danny Gokey (Dream On). I really don't have much to say about Danny's attempt at Aerosmith. Let's just say that the scream I released in my head was probably more pleasing than the one Danny unwisely let loose on an unsuspecting American public. And then to think he had the nerve to counter the (justly) negative remarks with the excuse that "rock isn't his genre." Well, no kidding, Danny. Adam was thrilled about Grand Ole Opry night. This ain't the Ed Sullivan Show.

Danny Gokey and Kris Allen (Renegade). Randy was right. The harmonies on this number were sublime. But that's where the enjoyment ended. The single vocals were weak. These two had zero on-stage interaction, and, contrary to what Simon spit out, Kris outperformed Danny every step of the way.

Kris Allen (Come Together). I did not understand the universal panning of this performance, except to think that the quartet received the end-of-the-season bus route and agreed that the Greyhound was headed right through Kris. Or over him. Okay, it wasn't my favorite Kris performance, and I was a little bummed that Kris didn't do what he did during Disco Week - tear the whole thing apart and perform a stripped-down version of it - but I enjoyed it anyway. And at least he didn't try to make excuses.

Allison Iraheta (Cry Baby). Allison proved in 90 seconds why she deserves to be in the finale. Okay, I kinda sorta agreed with the judges about the song choice (even though Allison was right that Piece of My Heart has been performed to death on this show, so she gets points for that), but it ticked me off that all the judges could find to critique was song selection over her fabulous performance of what she had selected. But then Simon's been doing that to her all year, so why stop now? And the girl gets major props for finally finding her speaking voice and putting Simon in his place with her personality.

Adam Lambert (Whole Lotta Love). It's Adam. It's Rock. It's Led Zepplin. But I have to share: midway through the performance, my husband, who has watched all season with me, asked "is he wearing eye makeup?" Guess he hasn't been watching as closely as I had thought. And I guess I've run out of superlatives for Adam Lambert.

Adam Lambert and Allison Iraheta (Slow Ride). I bought this video on iTunes. My first and only download of the season. (Too bad it seems there will be no studio version.) If this performance isn't any indication of what the finale in two weeks should look like, something is just wrong. Enough said.

So that's what I thought. Now it's your turn.

But first the tough stuff. They pulled out three for five, so they'll likely pull three for four, so I'm going with two. (Did that make sense?)

Who should: Danny and Kris. (Bus notwithstanding.)
Who I want: Danny and Kris.
Who will: Danny and Kris.

And despite the season-long insistence that the finale is pre-ordained, and because we have a "shocking fourth-place boot" about every two years and we haven't had one since season five, and because I think America is smarter than she's given credit for sometimes, I think Danny will find his first trip to the bad stools to be his last trip.

I'm rooting for a Triple-A final three (Allison, Adam and Allen) and I'm hoping that, despite the pressure of time, the three remaining kids get to have their traditional three songs.

We'll see.

And I'll see you tonight, as we welcome back that last shocking fourth-place finisher, Chris Daughtry.

9 Comments:

Anonymous JJ said...

I'm with you all the way Jennifer. Your critique was spot on. Danny's scream may have been the worst part of his performance but the overall performance was bad.... very bad. Any of the guys who've already left, Scott excepted, could have done a better job.
Allison was dynamite last night and I LOVED her new hair. How funny that she used Adam's stylist!
Kris wasn't as good as Adam and Allison but that's not much of a criticism and he was much better than Danny. I've wanted these three to be the final three for weeks now. I think taking the kids to a new venue was a fairly good idea though it did seem to make them a little more nervous.. Adam excepted :-)

9:18 AM, May 06, 2009  
Anonymous JJ said...

One more thing... maybe Howard Dean can take a back seat now to "most memorable scream" moniker!!!!

9:19 AM, May 06, 2009  
Blogger jennifer said...

LOL. Howard Dean's scream knocked him out of the competition. Maybe luck will strike twice?!?

9:21 AM, May 06, 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

I doubt each kid will get three songs next week ('cuz they can't shut the jduges up and won't cut out a commercial or two), but with any luck, it's the Clive Davis Wheel of Deathâ„¢ that gets the boot next week.

Gokey's "scream" was therapy-inducing. Seriously, the ears on the stuffed Winnie the Pooh in my living room started to bleed. If there is any justice in this world, at about 10:03 tonight, Alexis (and her voodoo doll) will be sitting on her couch shouting, "How do you like me now!" as Danny gets the boot.

9:28 AM, May 06, 2009  
Anonymous tracyintpa said...

Allison and Adam belong in the final two. Period. I don't WTF Simon is talking about and why he refuses to give Allison any props. She was the ONLY one that even came close to standing up to Adam's talent and in my opinion she came damn close. Can you imagine either Kris or Danny trying to hold their own on the stage with Adam? Impossible. Danny needs to go. He made my dogs both look at the Tv and turn their heads in bewilderment. What the hell was that final scream? It was embarrassing and yet he barely got called out on his performance. He was awful on both the duet and solo. Kris was MUCH better on his solo. I am going to be beyond outraged if Allison goes home. Dial Idol has her at the bottom, but they have been way off a lot this season.

9:32 AM, May 06, 2009  
Blogger jennifer said...

But at least they gave Danny grades for effort. Funny how none of the others got any grades for effort.

Effort must make Idols this season. The Danny pimping last night was beyond pathetic.

9:46 AM, May 06, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think the Danny pimping last night was meant to make Danny fans complacent and non-Danny fans angry enough to vote for anyone else. It just may have worked. *crossing every body part that can be crossed*

10:18 AM, May 06, 2009  
Blogger jennifer said...

I like the way you think Kristi.

*also crossing body parts...

10:22 AM, May 06, 2009  
Anonymous chrisROCKS said...

"...'is he wearing eye makeup?'"

PRICELESS!!! lol

Jennifer, I agree with every word you wrote. The only difference I have is putting the Adam/Allison duet in the 3rd place position. I simply loved A & A's solos THAT MUCH!

Allison was totally right in that "Piece of My Heart" has been done to death. She didn't want to fall into THAT trap (for which she'd, undoubtedly, get panned for by the very judges who said she *should* have done it...grrrr!!!). And I'm glad she stood up to Simon. I sometimes wonder if he just wants to test the toughness of contestants when he berates them, because he seems to like it when they fight back (albeit it in a respectful way).

Led Zeppelin is my all time favorite classic rock group...heck! favorite ANY group! I celebrate their entire collection. Normally I would cringe and say something like, "Oh no you DIDN'T just choose that song!" if an AI singer decided to take on the Mighty Zep. But when Adam announced what he was singing, I couldn't wait to hear it! And he didn't disappoint. The guy is really quite amazing. I still think Queen should hire him as their new lead singer. How perfect would that be?! I can't think of anybody flamboyant, confident and outrageous enough to fill Freddie's platforms.

As for the duets, Adam and Allison absolutely wiped the floor with Danny and Kris. If that performance doesn't get A&A to the finals, I don't know what could. They were simply electric together!

As for Matt's votes, I think Danny will benefit most from them, followed by Kris. That said, Allison could be the shocking 4th place ouster tonight. I HOPE NOT!!! I *heart* her. :)

Who should: Danny and Kris
Who I want: None of them. Crown them all!
Who will: Kris and Allison

I can't WAIT to see Daughtry!! I *heart* him, too. :D Woohooooooooooo!!!!!!

5:31 PM, May 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!