Wednesday, April 02, 2008

the elite 8: a SIMULBLOG!...

It's getting to that tough part of any season. We've gotten to know them, care about them and, in some cases, like them, and yet one of them has to go.

It's killing night. Because THIS is American Idol.

And this is a SIMULBLOG, where I'm typing as fast as the law allows while the action is unfolding live and in person on the East Coast. And I'll be hitting that fabulous "publish" button at every significant break. So if you want to be totally spoiled, stick around and bathe in the spoilage. If you want to stay pure and chaste, chaste yourself away, but come back once you've been de-chasted and dish with the rest of us.

Because the show's about to start!
_______

After the introductions, the kids start the show with 9 to 5. And here I was expecting Islands in the Stream. I like how it seems the kids - especially the guys - have decided they are stuck doing the pointy poses, so they may as well just have fun with them. They don't sing all that well as a group, but they make me chuckle, so I love them.

And in no time, we're being sold Burger King products and finding out that Ford is giving back to Idol as Idol Gives Back.

We get a mini AI Rewind of the night before. And the sofa means safety. The stools are bad.

Michael Johns is called to the stage. He gets reminded of his reviews. And he's told he's safe.
David Archuleta comes center stage without being summoned. He says the song he sang "had a great message." You like that don't you David. He's sent to the safety sofa quickly.
Carly Smithson is next. Ryan teases her with the stools before sending her to the sofa.

The stools are empty after the first round.

_______

I am not even going to mention how much I detest these phone calls.

It's time for The Clark Brothers to sell their new CD, which, after their appearance here will probably hit #1. I didn't watch the band show that they won, but I already really really like the them, especially as instrumentalists.

The kids are playing basketball in the crappy Ford commercial. You have to see it.

And they go right to more executions. Carly lays into Simon for the wardrobe comment. Good girl.

David Cook is told to come on down. He says the medical stories were blown out of proportion and he's fine. He's sent to the sofa just to be sure.

Ramiele Malubay is called to the stage. She looks scared. With good reason. She's sent to the first stool.

Kristy Lee Cook shows up. She says she has her stool reserved. And Ryan obliges by sending her to sit next to Ramiele.
_______

It's time to catch up with Idol Alumni. It's Bucky!! It's Phil Stacey! It's Bo Bice!! I am totally liking this part of the results shows!

Syesha Mercado is called to the stage. She must be safe. And she is.
Brooke White and Jason Castro arrive arm in arm. They are reminded of the songs they chose. Brooke is told she's joining the bad people. Jason heads for the couch.
_______

We're reminded to start saving our dimes for next week's Idol Gives Back. And it's time for Dolly Parton to sing. She's got Jesus. And Gravity. And a choir backing her up. I won't sing. I'll let you listen for yourself. Or not.
_______

These one-hour results shows are killing me.

The three rejects stand with Ryan on the stage. One of them gets sent back to the safety of the good sofa. And after some unnecessary banter, Ryan lets us know that's Brooke.

Ramiele and Kristy give big hugs. Kristy is safe and Ramiele is told she's through. And there are big big tears.

Ramiele watches her journey to the sound of Ruben. She has so much potential. I'm glad she's on the tour.

Good luck Ramiele!


14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure no one will agree with me but any one of the idols were better then Dolly tonight. I like Dolly but I don't think she sounded so good tonight. She should of going home. lol

I wasn't surprised Ramiele left, but I still like her and think she has a pretty voice. She just didn't stand out.

Dori

10:06 PM, April 02, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Ramiels's biggest problem was that she just didn't show any personality whatsoever. Not even in her singing.

10:10 PM, April 02, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

She was also a chronic underachiever. Some of it was song choice but she never seemed to approach the potential she has.

10:34 PM, April 02, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous said: "I'm sure no one will agree with me but any one of the idols were better then Dolly tonight."

I AGREE!!!!

If any of the contestants sang like Dolly did tonight, they'd be getting a lashing from Simon rather than the obligatory standing-O she got. You can make yourself look 25 years younger, but your voice doesn't lie. She's sounding old. Sorry Dolly.

As for Ramiele, I think she was definitely the right choice out of the bottom 3. Well, Dave, I guess you won't be needing an acronym for her afterall. ;)

Hey Jennifer, I'm with you. The catching up with past Idols was awesome! I think I'll be lookin' out for Phil Stacey's cd! woohoo!

Peace out.

3:54 AM, April 03, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

The results shows are sooooo much more palatable when they do the where-are-they-nows for past Idol alums then when they just have some act on that wants to push a CD.

6:37 AM, April 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you guys are dogging an almost 70 year old....she did great fdor someone her age...I could see y'all saying something about the Clark Brothers, that dude;s voice was wicked icky, but....Jaason can learn something from that lead singer, he had awesome stage presence...that performance had real emotions unlike JAson's.

9:08 AM, April 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So who will Smurfette's votes go to now? Syesha?? or another cutie pie like Jason??

10:09 AM, April 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never seen the Clark Brother's before, I thought the music was great, but the vocial kind of sucked. Your right they did have stage presence. When your on the stage you have to own it.

I actually like Dolly, there's just something creepy about a 70 year old trying to look like 20. When she goes they're not going to have to embalm her. Dolly is a little younger then my mom and I just can't relate.

Dori

10:49 AM, April 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I can't believe you guys are dogging an almost 70 year old..."


Folks, she just turned 62.

11:00 AM, April 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ramiele was the right choice to go, but I just wish it had been Jason Castro. That guy is boring me more and more each week. They could always have gotten rid of Ramiele later.

Kristy didn't belong in the bottom 3. But, I hate to admit it, Brooke did (based on the previous night's performance), and she's one of my favorites.

Which opens the question: Should you vote for the best performance of the night before, or cut some slack and vote for who you think has been the best overall and has the best potential for long-term success?

Insofar as I am concerned, Brooke is one of the overall best.

12:22 PM, April 03, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

Seacrest implores the audience to "vote for your favourite", not "vote for the best".

Because of the influence of the powervoter, this is what makes the show a popularity contest rather than a true singing competition.

6:35 PM, April 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dolly was ridiculous and her song was sooooOooo lame. I mean, really. She can do much better than some lame church song.

I thought the bottom three was right on.

I was surprised you all didn't have more to say about that awful group sing. Did you sing Jason kick up his heels like he was at a hoe down? And I think David C and Ramiele did the "bump". It was the goofiest thing I've ever seen.

Does anyone know what the theme is next week?

6:56 PM, April 03, 2008  
Blogger jennifer said...

Next week is IGB, so the theme will probably be something very inspirational. Right up Archie's Alley.

7:39 PM, April 03, 2008  
Blogger Dave said...

Speaking of The Arch. He is rapidly turning into a one-trick pony.

Who Seacrest refuses to interview on the big stage. Who can't NOT giggle.

8:21 PM, April 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!