Wednesday, May 23, 2007

it's finale time: a SIMULBLOG!...

The sixth season is over. Or it will be in about two hours. And the end is welcomed, but not before we are treated to whatever is in store before we crown Jordin or Blake and certainly not until we've critiqued and criticized every single syllable.

Because THIS is American Idol.

And this is a simulblog, which means I'm typing as the action is unfolding with publishes at every significant break, so if you're not in the eastern time zone and you want to be surprised, this is not the place to be. But come back and rehash all of the happenings later. It looks as though the shoutbox [again] is down for maintenance on a results night, so please feel free to chat in the comment thread.

_______

Ryan asks if we'll crown the beatboxer from Seattle or the sweetheart from Arizona as the sixth season finale, the "night we've all been waiting for" gets underway.

She was just 17, and you know what I mean... It only takes three minutes to be reminded that she's just 17 in the opening duet. The show finally got the Beatles catalog cleared. And I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

And it only takes five minutes to cut to a remote performance by Gwen Stefani, because she has a new single out. Of course she's in an undisclosed location, so none of the idols is accompanying her, but this season hasn't been about them anyway, so why should the finale be any different?

I already am not liking this.

Coke thanks me for drinking. No problem Coke. I've been drinking all season.

Kelly Clarkson is home!! I love Kelly. Her new single not so much. But it's good to see her.

It's Golden Idol time.

Catagory: Best Presentation. Nominees: three auditioners, all of whom I have chosen to forget. But I do remember Margaret, the lady in yellow. Now I want to forget her again.

I am not liking this.

The guys take the stage, obviously setting up Smokey Robinson. And he takes the stage with the guys as backup for a Miracles Medley. I am liking this part.

After a commercial or 17, Blake gets to take the stage with Doug E Fresh for an all-out beatboxing competition. In the first 30 seconds Blake has more fun than he had in all of last night.

Golden Idol. Category: Most Original Vocals. Three auditioners. Don't remember. Don't care.

The girls take the stage, setting a place for Gladys Knight. I hope these girls are taking notes.

David Hasselhoff is [again] in the audience. Tissue alert.

Ryan stands in the audience to introduce Tony Bennett, who didn't get to perform earlier this season because he was sick. But I have to ask: Does Constantine Maroulis show up at every Idol taping? Just asking.

Golden Idol. Category: Best Buddies. Jonathan & Kenneth!!

Melinda, who used to sing backup for the Winans, looks splendid standing in the middle of BeBe and CeCe.

After the Ford commercial, the kids get their Fords. Can Jordin drive? She's only 17.

Carrie Underwood returns to reprise her I'll Stand By You from the Idol Gives Back special, but all I want to know is what the hell is she wearing?

Clive Davis appears and speaks. Blah... blah... blah...

After the commercial break, to recapture the Idol Gives Back experience, we get a return visit from the best part: the African Children's Choir. This time, though, they don't have to share the stage with Josh Groban.

It's SANJAYA!!

Then it's Green Day. Boy, do they have a tough act to follow.

After a commercial or 312, Taylor Hicks comes out of the oval to sing his new song Heaven Knows. I like the song, and I like Taylor, and I like seeing the old folk. But, considering the finale has historically been about the kids in the cast, and we've seen about 15 minutes of them in the past 90 minutes, this is quite probably the worst finale ever.

And with that Jordin appears, paired with Ruben Studdard. These two could make a hit single. Seriously.

After a commerical or five, Ryan introduces Bette Midler, who sings Wind Beneath My Wings, terribly I might add, and for no apparent reason. Yep. That does it. Worst. Finale. Ever.

Coke thanks me for drinking again. How do they know?

It's time for a tribute to Sgt. Pepper, kicking off with Kelly Clarkson, followed by Taylor Hicks, who introduces Carrie Underwood, who is joined by the women, before calling Ruben Studdard, who is backed by the guys. The kids are then given the stage. Very nice. Very very nice.

After a gazillion votes cast, after Randy says Jordin will win, after Simon says Jordin will win and after Paula babbles on, Ryan gets the sealed envelope and hands the Idol crown to Jordin, who sings her crappy winners song, but this time starts crying with the first note, rather than just at the end. Her mom cries too. Her comrades sit on the stairs at her feet until her last note when they surround her.

And that's that for another season.

Congratulations Jordin.

Labels: , , ,

34 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK....this crap with Big Bird is SOOOO not funny.

8:21 PM, May 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blake sucks if he wins, the contest is rigged

9:07 PM, May 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blake is not going to win. So relax there!

9:15 PM, May 23, 2007  
Blogger m.alexandra said...

i don't know guys, the audience consistently cheers him louder-but the judges went for jordin and this late in the game they're usually right, is that historically correct jennifer?

9:35 PM, May 23, 2007  
Blogger Foxygen said...

Simon never wanted Taylor to win last year
(-Robin)

9:45 PM, May 23, 2007  
Blogger jennifer said...

When the judges choose, they've always been correct at F2.

9:47 PM, May 23, 2007  
Blogger Dave said...

That was the least suspenseful results show I've ever sat through.

10:23 PM, May 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so ticked, stupid Fox and their crappy show ran over 10 minutes, but it wasn't "listed" as going to be 10 minutes over, so my DVR stopped at 10:03 and I missed the results!! Screw Fox! ugh! I might have to give up on the show after this debacle! This is inexcusable.

anyway, I liked Taylor's song, not bad. Carrie is Carrie, and 6 million albums?! wow! And Kelly is channeling Pat Benetar, yeah! I might have to buy her new album if it's a rocker album like that. Right up my alley :)

Bette Midler, holy smokes, she can't sing!! I know I've heard her in the past, and she's a good singer. But wow, did she get any of the notes in tune? yikes!

Tony B. Could care less, but still, that was some powerful singing to end his song, especially for an 85 year old!!

Sanjaya was about as bad as ever, but very entertaining. and did they HAVE to have that little girl there again ! ?! ugh!

very glad it's over, this was a lack luster season, and if they don't do a better job next year, I think I'll start tuning out. The group sings were pretty good though. Next year maybe when they do a girl Diva week they'll get smart and have someone like Smokey for the boys to sing :) that would be much better than forcing the boys to do the impossible by singing Diana Ross. yuk!

out!

JJ

10:27 PM, May 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Jordin

I have to agree with you though Jennifer, I thought it was a lousy finale. I liked a lot of the artists they had guesting on the show but they really seemed to just barely have the actual contestants from this year on. And some of the time when they were on like in the medleys they were mostly singing backup.

And I am also annoyed that even with ten billion guest spots this season they couldn't seem to fit Kat (you remember guys, the runner up from last year?) in.

Allen

10:40 PM, May 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they need to get Weight Watcher for a sponsor.

Loved seeing Taylor, Carrie and Kelly and Ruben. Don't know why they bothered to have all the other Big Stars.

They didn't let the kids do enough, its supposed to be their show.

Big bird and the rest made me sick!

Nothing like last years show.

I am so glad Jordin won, especially after what happend after the show with Blake, the little jerk!

Dori

10:47 PM, May 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still a little curious about Kelly's belly! :) During the first song, I freeze framed when she turned sideways, and her belly pooch is the right shape and position to be a little something extra :) I'll accept that she's just gaining weight, but seriously, she looks so much like a 4 to 5 month prego woman! :) The extra hips, the extra fat on the arms and thighs, her standing absolutely still that first song. hmm. at least she bopped a little with Joe P., but I'm not completely convinced yet :)

And who is she so mad at?!! wow that was an ANGRY song haha
JJ

11:02 PM, May 23, 2007  
Blogger Foxygen said...

I thought the same thing about Kelly.

But the saddest part of the night was when the Bush Baby thanked Simon for calling him that because it got him where he is. Seriously? This guy will be known for the next few years as the Bush Baby. People will see him in the mall and recognize him because he's a bad singer with huge eyes.

I guess any publicity is good publicity.

-Robin

11:07 PM, May 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife thought of Gollum/Smeagol from Lord of the Rings :) he does have odd eyes. But hey, at least he's cool with the publicity he'd have never gotten otherwise :)
JJ

11:15 PM, May 23, 2007  
Blogger AlbGlinka said...

I feel Woe.

:-(

I guess Jordin deserved to win, if the producers continue to serve up crap like that last song. She can sing that stuff.

I did enjoy the Sgt. Pepper tribute, that was hot.

1:24 AM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jordin! I can't believe you're only 17!

Okay, Jennifer, do you want to hear the cruelest thing EVER?! I have a standing commitment on Wednesday nights, and don't get home until 11:30. So, my husband and I tape the show and watch the results show the next day (carefully avoiding any spoilers on the Web).

Tonight, I got home at 11:45, settled in and we popped in the tape to watch the crappiest finale ever. (I agree with you 100%.) They just finished the Sgt. Pepper's salute (why?), go to commercial, come back with that Idol music intro and....all of a sudden, we're watching the final race of some cross-country skiers in Torino Italy! (I had taped over the same tape I used to tape the winter Olympics). AI goes OVER TIME and we miss the confetti and crowning!

(This is on par with the night our VCR decided to go on the fritz when Ken Jennings finally lost on Jeopardy. Up to that point, I had seen every single episode he had been on. Ohhhh the humanity!!)

By chance do you have a link to a clip showing Jordin's crowning moment?! I love confetti mixed with tears.

P.S. Thanks for another wonderful blogyear. You ROCK! (Along with Chris Daughtry, of course.) ;)

4:57 AM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing...

My favorite moments of the night (in an otherwise HIDEOUS night):

Boyz 2 Idols singing a capella, and then backing up Smokey.

Melinda Winans

Jordin and Ruben duet - they need to record that song! They were fabulous together!

Gladys Knight still has it!

So does Tony Bennett!

Nuff said.

5:03 AM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, Dori!! What happened with Blake after the show?!

5:09 AM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger jennifer said...

Rickey has the video, if your DVR didn't catch the overtime.

http://www.rickey.org/?p=3670

7:07 AM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

Another fabulous blog, Jennifer. I'm going to miss it now that Idol's over for the season.

Yeah, the show definitely went over by a few minutes. I was holding my breath, praying that the local news wouldn't interrupt and make us miss the winner. They interrupted once during the season, and I'll bet they got a lot of angry mail and phone calls in response. Needless to say, they didn't do it again. :-)

LOL that "Green Day had a tough act to follow." Probably true, though. Sanjaya has one heck of a fan base.

I think Blake will still be okay after Idol; he'll find a record deal. So will some of the others, I imagine.

And congratulations to Jordin, our new American Idol!

8:54 AM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

All in all the worst finale ever!! Best part? According to me: SANJAYA!!! According to my husband: the Beatles tribute.

Compared to last season, this one tanked. Were the producers too busy with "The Band Show" to bother with putting on a good finale? Did they spend all their time on "Idol Gives Back" in order to get an Emmy? Are they so cocky as to think they can phone it in from now on? I don't know but if things don't change next season, this will be know as the season that AI jumped the shark.

My TiVo missed the last few minutes as well but I really don't care. I don't think that's a good sign!!

9:59 AM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger AlbGlinka said...

I'm still rocking an old-skool DVD/VCR combo which I brilliantly set to record until 10:10pm. (I've been getting home late Tuesdays and Wednesdays all season)

My sympathies to all who had recording mishaps, I know how much that sucks!

11:15 AM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did Blake supposedly do after the show that was bad?

11:22 AM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chrisrocks, check the shout box. Dori

11:28 AM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger jennifer said...

Don't judge Blake or anyone else on the word of an anonymous poster in the shoutbox. If there had been a post-taping issue, I'm sure it would have been brought up elsewhere. And it hasn't been.

11:46 AM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I've been wondering about that too. you would think the news media would comment about how poorly the audience acted. And when I got to see clips of Jordin singing, I didn't hear anything but cheers. I didn't see anything in the reactions of anyone on screen that would suggest a problem.

And I still don't get the comment in the shout box that there was a kkk reference. In LA? At an Idol show? it's basically a bunch of rich hollywood types and other spoiled brats :) like any of them are going to yell out a kkk reference? I can't see that happening.

I could see a little booing, it was clear early in the show that Blake has the larger fan base in attendance, but why would anyone care that much who won? we all know winning doesn't matter (which does sort of ruin the show if you think about it). Until last year, winning did mean something, it meant you would be a bigger star than anyone else that season. now, not so sure. this show has some things to fix, or I agree, it'll have jumped the shark. As it is now, I think one leg is in the tank and the shark has it's teeth inches from clamping down :) OUCH!

1:20 PM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it didn't happen, that would spoil the final.

Like I said last night if it happened we'll hear about it.

I've checked too and so far I haven't heard anything. My sister lives In Ca. and she told me her neighbor was going to the show. I'm going to ask her if her neighbor told her anything.

Thanks again Jennifer, if it weren't for your blog this year wouldn't of been much fun. You do a great job.

Dori

1:47 PM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, Jennifer! And thanks again for all your humor and insight!

Jenann

2:02 PM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the above poster. This is the second year I've read your blog during the AI season and without it, it wouldn't have been nearly as fun! Thanks, Jennifer for your awesome blog!

CT

3:57 PM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I was watching a different show than everyone else, or maybe everyone else is getting jaded with memories of some golden past. As for me, I thought the finale was thoroughly enjoyable. Yes, the show did lack something this year, but it was not the production. As has been pointed out over the past few weeks, the problem with the show was a lack of diversity in the contestants song styles (no strong rocker, no strong country singer, no crooner, etc.). Basically what you had was one individual with style (Blake), and eleven others who sounded the same. Of those eleven others, I do agree that Jordin turned out to be the best. But I have a prediction:

Blake will sell more records than Jordin. Great singers are a dime a dozen on the pop scene, but good entertainers who defy convention and know their strengths are more rare, e.g., Chris Daughtgry.

5:14 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger jennifer said...

I think it was with the production. In the past (aside from Prince last year for which Simon rightfully bitched) if a guest came on, it was to join with one of the kids. This year, we had Tony Bennett, Bette Midler, Gwen Stefani, Green Day, none of whom had a contestant in sight.

Until this year, the finale was about celebrating the season, and there's no season without the kids. They celebrated their past with Kelly, Carrie, Ruben and Taylor, which I applaud loudly, but it was, as it has been all year, as if the 12 finalists were nothing more than an afterthought. Hell, even Jordin's coronation seemed rushed.

You saw the same show; we just have different takes.

5:36 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger AlbGlinka said...

I agree with you Jennifer. I came home an hour into the show (was taping it and watched the beginning later). I didn't even SEE Jordin and Blake until the practically the last ten minutes of the broadcast, meaning, an hour filled up with all that other stuff.

I was also incredibly turned off by them giving the spotlight back to the unfortunate Chicken Lady and others. Like parading out the "Village Idiots" for everyone to laugh at again. Really distasteful.

I did enjoy some of the ensemble numbers with the finalists. I would have like to have heard them more. I found myself missing LaKisha, wished she had more to sing.

Bette Midler-- wow, I was sad to hear her sing like that.

I'm on to "So You Think You Can Dance" and "On the Lot"... brother, I cannot get enough of stoopid Reality TV!!!

11:14 AM, May 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leaving aside the host of questionable guest stars, what I want to know is how Blake and Jordin had time to learn all the songs they participated in on Wednesday night! There's no way they learned all that after Tuesday's performances. That means they were working on those songs while preparing for Tuesday night. That's tough....

LEN

5:01 PM, May 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LEN,

A friend and I were talking about the same thing. I have a feeling being an AI is harder then it looks. Plus I believe Jordin's still in school, so she also has that to worry about.

Dori

10:15 AM, May 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I taped Wednesday's episode and watched it Thursday - I was so glad I did, so I could fast forward through the unnecessary parts - However, my most favorite part was the duet with Blake and Jordin singing "She was Just 17" - I could have watched that for a solid two hours - It was pretty hot!
connie

12:23 PM, May 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!