Wednesday, May 13, 2009

setting the finale table: a SIMULBLOG...

There are only two seats available at the big show. By the end of the night we'll find out which of the two guys remaining gets to sit with the adults. And which one gets sent to the kid's table.

Third place is the crummiest of places, I think. All of next week's focus will be on the two remaining contestants. All of the previous ousted contestants have received exposure, going on the talk show circuit, finding audiences that might not watch this show. But number three has to stay home and rehearse for the finale. No Ellen. No Regis. No Today Show for the third place guy. And by the time his time is free for a chat with Kelly Ripa, they won't want him, because, well, he's the third-place guy that we forgot about a week ago.

Yea. Making it all the way to third, coming thisclose to the extravaganza, getting dissed by the talk shows. This has to suck.

But THIS is American Idol. And this is a simulblog, which means I'm writing as fast as I can as the action unfolds on the East Coast, so if you want to be shocked, now's the time to exit, because spoilers abound, snark can be found in the corners, personal opinions will fly and the show is about to start.
_____

The show can't even wait until the intro for the product placement, as Ben Stiller and the cast of the Smithsonian movie announcing that the AI desk is about to be inducted into the Institute. Ryan tells us that only one million votes separate the top two finishers. Too bad he didn't just tell us who they are so I could go to bed.

But they have more Coke to sell.

The Ford video has the guys turning into animated characters. The three sing well together, but I really think they've run out of ideas for these spots.

It's back to Idol Gives Back with Alicia Keys prompting us to donate five bucks. I didn't even miss Idol Gives Back enough to realize it hadn't been held. But Noah, the kid performing, is the bomb.
_____

Danny is summoned from backstage. We get to watch Danny's trip home to Milwaukee. The "Scream On" poster made me smile.

He is reminded of last night's reviews. And he's sent to wait.

Kris is called to the stage. The best part of his visit home to Conway, Arkansas? Cheese dip for life. I could handle that too.

Kris is also reminded of his reviews and sent to hang out with Danny.
_____

Jordin Sparks, the winner of the season I've chosen to forget occurred, is back in the house. She's looking quite lovely. Her new single is okay, if a bit redundant, but I hope it sells a gazillion copies.

Good for her.
_____

Adam is called to the stage. Most of the ousted idols are in the audience.

San Diego goes wild for him, especially the whacked out streaker wannabe who was forcefully removed from the stage.

He is reminded of last night's judges comments and sent to join the other two.
_____

Katy Perry is there. She sings. I don't care.
_____

The three guys are standing with Ryan, who wishes all of them luck.

First one safe is... Kris!!!!!!!!!

The second one safe is... Adam!!!!

Now that is a finale.

Danny gets to watch his funeral video as Underwood sings.

With no time left, he chooses You Are So Beautiful as his swan song.

See ya Danny.

And see you next week.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Kris!!!!!

9:30 PM, May 13, 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

I think all the ousted Idols are in the audience in preparation for their appearance on the results show next week.

9:45 PM, May 13, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so crushed. I love Danny Gokey.. I really thought it would be down to him and Adam. So sad to see him go. But, he will be successful outside of IDOL.

10:17 PM, May 13, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

10:24 PM, May 13, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Kris and Adam.
Since I can't have Allison in the finals, I'm glad it's Kris!!
Good riddance, Gokey.
Finally!

10:41 PM, May 13, 2009  
Blogger Mighty Mouse said...

Adam and Kris!!! Now that's a final to watch!!! Thank God America got it right this time.

1:27 AM, May 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gokey goes back to obscurity.
Kris has one more week before he morphs into Rueben Stoddard. Power vote all you like, Kris is forgetable. Adam all the way.

4:15 AM, May 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thrilled beyond words that Adam is in the finale! Lots of voting and dedication each week, only one more week and I can give my fingers a rest. Kris may beat him though since I have a feeling he will get all of Danny's votes. But, that's okay because in 1 year will you remember Kris? Nope. Will you know who Adam is? HECK YES!!!!!!!
:)

6:15 AM, May 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Kris will have some moderate success outside of Idol.
Allison will be more sucessful over the long haul. JMO.

Jordin Sparks is a pretty girl, but she STILL moves around the stage like a plowhorse.

I could have done without Katy Perry.

8:42 AM, May 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This just frees me up to find something else to do next Wednesday night. I could care less who wins it now. I can't sit through another shrieking Adam Lambert performance and Kris just flat puts me to sleep, always has. Scream on, Danny. We love ya' here in Texas.

8:59 AM, May 14, 2009  
Anonymous JJ said...

At this point I don't really care who wins. Kris, even if he wins, will be somewhat successful but not anything in the scope of Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson. More successful than say Fantasia or Reuben.. probably on the same level as Jordin. Regardless, he has a following that might stick with him for a while yet. In any case I think his future is set.
I think Adam is destined for greatness, at least I hope so. He may be the most controversial/polarizing Idol Winner (if he wins) ever.. far more so than Taylor Hicks.
Regardless.. I got what I wanted, more or less: Adam and Kris in the finale even though, if I'd had my druthers (wow, haven't used that word in forever.. maybe never) It would have been an Adam - Allison finale.
Thanks again Jennifer for this blog. I worked 'til 11:30 last night and your site was my life-line. I almost felt like I was watching.

10:50 AM, May 14, 2009  
Blogger Dave said...

If they win, I don't know how successful each will be. For that matter, I don't know that there's a Chris Daughtry or Jennifer Hudson in this group.

Part of the problem is that it takes nine months to put an album out. What they need to do is immediately release a CD of their Idol iTunes tracks to give people something to buy, then work on a CD and release one single at a time instead of holding off until the next season of Idol starts before hitting the marketplace.

I see Adam's success as happening away from the pop (satellite) radio scene and more on Broadway or in movies. Kris could have some success on indie/college radio, but I think there should be little doubt that no one from this season will threaten Kelly or Carrie (or Clay or even William Hung) as far as record sales go.

11:40 AM, May 14, 2009  
Anonymous tracyintpa said...

My money is on Allison to come out of the gate with a big career. She should have been in the finale w/Adam, however Kris has something special to offer, if he can write with as much heart and sensitivity as he sings, he could maintain a solid fan base. Something Taylor never was able to do. I love him, and he is my favorite Idol of all time, but his career was mismanaged and his first album was crap. They could all do well to learn from his mistakes.

3:16 PM, May 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if the Dannyheads join with the Krisheads to powervote their little heads off, nothing NOTHING N-O-T-H-I-N-G will EVER put Kris on the same playing field as Adam. Kris is mediocre, at best. Adam is a superstar. What a joke it will be is Kris wins. I give him one single with moderate success, and then a footnote to Idol history. Adam will be laughing all the way to his first of many platinum albums. I am definitely watching next week, to watch and see if America gets it wrong again and elects a loser like Kris/ I need a good laugh.

7:18 PM, May 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just happy to see Danny finally go. Allison was much more deserving to be one of the final 3.

I agree that Adam should win, but the Danny voters will be voting against Adam, for sure.

It didn't help that Entertainment Weekly and a few other magazines intimated loudly, that Adam is gay.That will probably go to work against Adam, and I think that stinks. America is still very homophobic, and will vote in droves to shut Adam down.

And that's sad.

That's my sincere opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

7:24 PM, May 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree with the statement that Kris is mediocre, and I don't understand how anyone could think that. He is clearly above average.

betsy

7:34 PM, May 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!