Monday, March 12, 2007

the 12: watching them fall...

Well, season six is shaping up to be a snoozer of a competition, considering that, at this point, it looks as though we have a couple of anointed ones and a couple potential spoilers mixed in with a potload of spot fillers and a couple who shouldn't even been put through to the top 24.

Yep. It's season three all over again.

It's always fun to speculate before the first song is sung on the big stage how the final 12 will fare, but, of course, there's always the wrenches that will be thrown in throughout the next couple of months. One can never predict who will smart off to Simon, who will fail miserably, who will start preaching or whose nekkid photos will crop up next.

Because THIS is American Idol!

But I'll try nonetheless. Here's how I think things might just pan out:

At 12: The kids will sing the songs of Diana Ross (or, perhaps, the more broad theme "Motown" which is the traditional first week theme). Haley Scarnato, who sneaked her way past Sabrina Sloan on a Melissa McGhee pass, will turn a Supremes song into something reminiscent of vanilla pudding and be sent packing. Hopefully, though, she won't forget the lyrics.

At 11: This is tour cut-off time. Whoever gets whacked this week will have to actually buy a ticket to see the Giant PopTart instead of getting a free supply, so the pressure is on if voters want to see their fave in a city near them. People (aside from the tweeners and the VFTW faithful) will be wringing their hands over the continued presence of one young man. They will be crying foul. And just plain crying. And Phil Stacey will be sent home to spend the summer caring for his baby daughter.

At 10: With everyone now safely in the summer tour program book, many voters might use this week as a cooling off period. And we'll say goodbye to another of the guys, because the girls are singing circles around them. So long, Brandon Rogers.

At 9: I wonder if we've done country night at this point. If not, this might be the week. Country night killed Mandisa last season in the first of that year's SHOCKERS, but with so many poor guys from which to choose, this result won't shock anybody. See ya Sanjaya Malakar. Say hi to your sister. And trim your hair.

At 8: With five girls and three guys, the girls are gonna be splitting votes. And one of them is going to go home. I say it's Stephanie Edwards.

At 7: That vote splitting is getting bad, and the Stephanie crowd is going to have to choose a new team. Some will go to Team LaKisha; others will vote Team Melinda. Jordin Sparks loses.

At 6: Chris Richardson's Justin Timberlite ride comes to an end.

At 5: Chris Sligh makes David Hasselhoff cry. Or not.

At 4: It's time for the SHOCKER! In choosing between a rocker, two R&B'ers and a beatboxing male, somebody's gonna fall victim to split voting and the failure to advantage from displaced voters. LaKisha Jones is the new LaToya London and gets Tamyra'd/Daughtry'd in fourth. The prospect for a Diva v. Diva finale smackdown is shattered.

At 3: It was a good ride for Gina Glocksen.

At 2: It's Blake Lewis v. Melinda Doolittle. The beatboxer v. the background singer. Melinda wins in a landslide.

So...there's my breakdown. What's yours?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I think your picks are excellent!! It's not the way I HOPE it pans out, but probably the way it WILL.

The only change I would make is that Sanjaya gets cut off at #11 - I am hoping he will go the way of Kevin Covais with America realizing, Ok, maybe he's "pinch your cheeks cute", but he really didn't even deserve a spot in the top 24.

Whatever - there's people I would love to see make it far (Brandon (so cute!) & Blake), but honestly, as long as Melinda wins (by a landslide), I will still have at least a little faith in American Idol.

4:31 PM, March 12, 2007  
Blogger Dave said...

As I remember, season 2 was a snoozer as well. There was Rueben, Clay and everyone else. At least season 3 had LaToya (who should have won), a pre-Oscar J-Hud, and the un-naturally stage-present Diana DeGarmo.

I think the last five weeks of this year could be very interesting, but the first seven eliminations are just a matter of who goes when, not who gets the boot.

8:30 PM, March 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer you know your stuff, you are so good! You have a sixth sense when it comes to AI. I hope it comes out the way you say, but we never know what will happen. That's part of the attraction.
I agreed with both you and Dave on the crappy seasons. Season two I like both Clay and Rueben, but I wanted Clay to win. I think unofficially he did.
Season three I like LaTaya, Jennifer H and Diana even with her un-natural stage presents. She was pretty young and it didn't hurt her any, she's been in Hairspray for awhile. (I think that's the play she is in.)
I've got the flu and my brain is fuzzy. Dori

3:17 AM, March 13, 2007  
Blogger angelof_mercy81 said...

Yup, Diana is in "Hairspray."

I agree with your line-up, Jennifer, save for Sanjaya going at 9th. I really hope he goes sooner.

Tonight, the differences in the men's and women's vocals will become painfully obvious. On the big stage, there's no hiding lack of charisma or talent. There will be some nerves, understandably, but they still won't hide what I already believe: it's a woman's show to win this year.

10:57 AM, March 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good analysis, Jennifer. I made my predictions in the last post, but I think you just may be right about the order. Or at least closer than I am to getting it right. I'm forever finding myself shocked and outraged by certain results. After Chris Daughtry got booted so that the McPhee girl could go through, I vowed never to care that much again. So, I don't really care what the order is as long as Melinda wins. And she will. SHE WILL!!!! grrr... I'm getting worked up again. Anyway, here's my order of execution:

Phil
Haley
Sanjaya
Brandon
Stephanie
Chris R.
Jordin
Blake
Gina
Chris S.
Lakisha
Melinda aka AI 6!

P.S. Sorry, I posted this twice. Thought I was posting it on this thread, but actually posted it on the last thread. *smacking forehead*

4:03 PM, March 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!