Wednesday, January 18, 2006

auditions: shooting the sheriff...

What really can be said about these audition episodes? They're always a frenetic hodgepodge of bad mixed with decent, mixed with good, mixed with embarrassing. And Chicago was no different. But maybe a few names, a few faces, a few voices may have emerged from the abyss to be seen again sometime next month.

Who knows. And who knows what/who we didn't see.

It's a sad thing when the highlight of the entire episode takes place within the first few minutes . Looks like we have a couple of performers to look forward to, but it won't on this episode, as we are given a sneak peek at (presumably Kellie Pickler) whose daddy is in prison (whoa, talk about a back story!) but belts out Kelly Clarkson almost as good as Kelly Clarkson and a Bo Bice wannabe (presumably Chris Daughtry) rocking out The Letter.

I'm devastated, though, that apparently we'll not see this year's wrong way Sally. I would have enjoyed watching "I'm going up the down escalator" girl try to find her way through Hollywood.

Were all of the twin applicants shuttled to Chicago last summer? Three sets? And all three getting the golden slip? (Sorry...just had a Roman Brothers flashback. Had to take a break.) The Brittenum Brothers, Terrell and Derrell, have promise, but the 16-year-old Simmons kids are going to get shredded. And what is the deal with the "buy one/take the other free" deal with the cornfield sisters? Although, after seeing their corn maze tribute to the Chicago Bears, I am not going to complain about both of them getting a pass.

After all, the talent was thin, obviously, since Randy and Paula apparently saw nothing wrong in sticking it to Simon by sending through David Hoover and all the animals in his head. I really hope there was more to his audition, the part that we didn't see, that gave them reason to do that. They've pulled stunt casting before (Scootergirl, anyone?), but at least those novelty acts had an inkling of potential.

Loved Mandisa "I don't need no second name", but really don't want to hear any more comparisons of Frenchie or any more snarky weight jabs. (She's good, but she ain't no Frenchie.) Liked the dental assistant rocker Gina Glockson, but I still want all Celine Dion songs banned from the show, along with all songs by Whitney not sung by someone named Whitney.

David Radford has some potential, if he can, indeed, avoid a case of John Stevensitis, or the inability to adapt to any musical style beyond the Buble crooner mode. (But if he's going to sing Buble's rendition of a well-known Sinatra tune, then say so. Otherwise, sing the Sinatra version.)

And lesson #1. When somebody says he's gonna sing the chorus of [fill in the blank], take him at his word. Because, evidentially the chorus is all he knows.

Oy.

I hope the premiere is not indicative of things to come. Otherwise it's gonna be a loooong season.



tagged:
american idol

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...that about sums up the whole night. What a mess! lol I thought Paula had a newer harder attitude this year. She didnt seem her usual self. That one girl with all the make-up on...then he called her mother in...wow is all I can say. Great job on the summary as usual!!!
Diane

11:17 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Ewww on Maybelline and her mom, Maxine Factor. Those two not only grossed me out, but they made me both sick and sad at the same time.

11:34 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger AlbGlinka said...

Hi Jennifer: had to come here in the a.m.!

All I can think of about Maybelline Girl is a SNL or Mad TV skit...

The formula is getting so old.

And it's so obvious that the talent they videotape in lifestyle spots is pre-selected somehow-- I'll BET there are casting agents all over submitting young non-union performers to be considered. I don't believe it's just people in stadiums trying to get an audition, not at this point...

My VCR's gonna be getting a workout!

Check out my latest "Bachelor" entry if you get a chance. :-) Albert

12:22 PM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger jennifer said...

Albert, I totally agree that much of the audition round stuff is pre-fabbed. And it's so predictable anymore. That's one of the reasons I've come to really detest these early episodes. But, I guess, they're a necessary evil that will be forgotten and forgiven once the game gets underway.

1:19 PM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Nelle said...

I was getting a bit disappointed last night. When they put rubberband guy through I was dumbfounded. I did like those twins. Now I remembered why I have been known to skip this part of the show! Two hours was a bit much I thought. They could have fit the best of that in one hour. Hope it gets better or it will be a VERYYYYY long season!

7:04 PM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

You need to add Mariah to your Whitney/Celine Rule.

People should not attempt to sing anything that has already been done by one of these three women.

7:06 AM, January 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!