Wednesday, January 18, 2006

auditions: rocky mountain high notes...

Seems like the only way I can ever think of to begin the audition entries is to ask: well, what what can you say about the audition episodes.

Some people laugh at the antics. Others look for a glimpse of who they're going to be watching over the next few months. And then there's me, who just wants to fast forward through the weirdness and just get to the weird.

So we're in Denver, which, as we learn, is a mile above sea level. And, to a few of the wannabes, that means they've traveled such a long way to get there.

We get to see a couple of kids who've we've seen via promos over the past few weeks. We meet Lisa Tucker, who gets a gold ticket after breaking my Whitney rule. And we get to place Chris Daughtry's face with his name. (Not to mention we get to meet his wife, his air-hockey kids and learn that Chris is a fab dad and husband.)


The battle of the backstories kick in, with Rochelle Dye and her eviction woes, being cheered on by her family, all four hundred thousand of them, in team t-shirts and Garret the Cowboy kid, one of four generations of cowboys, the one with the voice buried under that 13-gallon hat whose dream is to be on a plane.

And I get my wish. April Walsh, the jelly-swigging, up the down escalator woman, is going to Hollywood. Don't get any better than that.

Of course we are treated to our daily minimum requirement of cheese and broken notes, Simon's snarkiness and Paula goo goo eyes. And, unfortunately, we get tortured by this season's version of Dirk and Adam, one of the cosmic coaster, the other of the yellow pajamas. Watch for these two on the finale. Have I mentioned how much I dislike the audition episodes?

I see two potential top-24 finalists coming out of Denver in Ace Young and Lisa/Whitney.

And that's pretty much it.



tag: American Idol

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer...

I think last night auditions were not as bad as tuesday nights.

Of course there will bad singers and great ones..and well..

pathethicly dumb ones.

what about that guy who thought he was genius? yah...some genius for thinking that he could actually sing!!

5:28 PM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger Nelle said...

I LOVED Ace and I thought Rochelle's family was calling her Rochelle Elaine. Guess that's her middle name, it sounded like a stage name to me. If you love weird what about that last guy on night 1? Sheesh.

7:29 PM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

Does anyone other than me wonder how it is that Rochelle is about to be evicted from her home along with her cousin, yet seemingly everyone who is related to her by blood, marriage or court order is there in matching t-shirts for her American Idol audition.

I've got an idea: take the $10 it cost each of you to get a t-shirt and help her out with her rent.

I didn't care for Ace. I think he looks like Joe Millionaire and he's skating by on his good looks. Of course, it worked for Constantine, so he may go far in the competition.

7:02 AM, January 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!