Tuesday, April 05, 2005

No Tony Awards here

Considering the universe of music out there, representing the world of musical theatre, some of tonight's song selections were a bit surprising. But, considering that the kids were told to look to the past, as opposed to the current, the concentration of 1970s and before picks was predictable.

Overall, I would rank the show as acceptable, and very disturbing, considering most of the kids admitted to never having heard the songs until this week. Oy.

But here are the early observations, from someone who doesn't get to see it live anymore because of the moon and the need for more daylight, as always, from worst to first.

Anthony. Anthony always seems to land here, but it's only because he deserves it. I never considered Climb Every Mountain, from The Sound of Music, to be a pop song. And your attempt to make it such not only made me sick, it made me mad.

Nikko. You were out of tune during the first three-quarters of One Hand, One Heart from West Side Story. And, again, this is a ballad, not an R & B song. I know this song, and I didn't recognize it.

Scott. The Impossible Dream, from Man of La Mancha, is one of my all-time favorite songs. (And it was performed during last year's finale, with the same arrangement, by the way.) Overall, it was an admirable performance, although you probably missed more notes than you have all season.

Anwar. Okay, If I Would Every Leave You, from Camelot was your best effort of the finals, but unfortunately, it sounded just like some of your other efforts. The point of theme weeks is to push you out of the comfort zone, to challenge you vocally, and turning every song into variations of the same theme is not proving that you're up for the challenge. Just ask Nikko.

Carrie. Could you have possibly chosen a more boring song than Hello Young Lovers from The King and I? Of course, it did mean you didn't have to do much performing. It was performed technically fine, but it gave mundane a new definition.

Vonzell. Fine job taking on Barbra Steisand's People, but, like Carrie, that tune just leaves me cold. Perhaps I've heard it too many times. I don't know. It was technically fine, but it wasn't enough to force me to vote for you.

Nadia. I sang As Long As He Needs Me in my sixth grade production of Oliver, so I'm being protective. It was your best performance of the finals, but (and this might be petty) the angry mean face has gotten old. This was a song of love, and the facial expressions and the lyrics just didn't fit.

Bo. Simon was wrong. Corner of the Sky from Pippin was a nice change from my ballad-induced coma, although I was really hoping you would choose something from Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell or Hair. You are one of the few we can count on for a consistently good performance.

Constantine. Okay Buddy, cut the rocker crap. You are either so NOT a rocker, or you're the best actor in the world. My Little Valentine can be the most bland song, and it can also be overused, but, despite fighting with the band for volume control, you really put a new and different light on this song.

Who will land on the seal? Don't know. I'll get back to you on that. But it won't be Fantasia, who will be performing tomorrow.






2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

In the defense of the god-awful song choices, I don't think American Idol got the rights to musicals like Grease, Jesus Christ Superstar or some of the other perennial favourites.

I almost fell asleep watching the show the songs were so bad.

If I ran the world, Anthony would have been eliminated last night; he was horrible. Unfortunately, I think we're going to be stuck with him for another couple of weeks and that Private Pyle is going home tonight.

11:28 AM, April 06, 2005  
Blogger vaN said...

Yeah, I think when it's time to go for the musicals... it just isn't that easy. But I think Constantine did a great job.

By the way, I'm a Scott Savol fan... and I'm glad you didn't hit on him that hard. Hee. =)

12:25 PM, April 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Thanks Rob for the awesome image!